Flexibility problem...

Dfrench200

Oct 15, 2009
Hello all, I have been back on the bike for the past 3 1/2 months after a 5 year gap and am absolutely re-addicted.
I have a question about flexibility. I have a hard time staying in an aero position for very long. I am doing my best to become more flexible an have notice some improvement but I am still far from being able to touch my toes... a good 4 inches away. It also seems like I have had no improvement in the past month despite continued efforts. Any suggestions for improving my flexibility? Or does is it just going to take time?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Maybe strengthen up your core. Cycling isn't totally about the legs and lungs. Do you have some extra weight in your ab area?

jhuskey said:
Maybe strengthen up your core. Cycling isn't totally about the legs and lungs. Do you have some extra weight in your ab area?

I have been doing some core work too. Main reason for flexibility, more so than aero, is that I have occational IT band issues so I want to get as flexible as I can. Also , If I am in a low position I can feel the strain on the back of my legs...

I have actually lost about 14 lbs since I started back on the bike and weigh 151 lbs at 5' 9.5. I am happy to say I have very little weight in my ab area :)

Sound like you are moving in the right direction and your weight is good, I think.
Is your bike set up for proper fit?

jhuskey said:
Sound like you are moving in the right direction and your weight is good, I think.
Is your bike set up for proper fit?

I fell confident that the fit is right. I had it done at my trusted LBS where I bought the bike. I feel great when riding on the brake hoods, just want more flexibility in my legs to be more flexible in my riding and minimize injury potential.

Dfrench200 said:
I fell confident that the fit is right. I had it done at my trusted LBS where I bought the bike. I feel great when riding on the brake hoods, just want more flexibility in my legs to be more flexible in my riding and minimize injury potential.

As stated I think you are on the right track and I can't really give you any constructive advise beyond the obvious. Warm up before riding ,hydrate, get plenty of rest, eat right, cross train and keep it up. I bet you will attain your goals.

Maybe if you're looking for some new flexibility training ideas, learn yoga or pilates or something? I started reading a book on the subject by a guy named Pavel Tsatsouline a while back, but I'm already busy doing other workout stuff so I haven't actually started doing any of the things he recommends :)

Dfrench200 said:
Hello all, I have been back on the bike for the past 3 1/2 months after a 5 year gap and am absolutely re-addicted.
I have a question about flexibility. I have a hard time staying in an aero position for very long. I am doing my best to become more flexible an have notice some improvement but I am still far from being able to touch my toes... a good 4 inches away. It also seems like I have had no improvement in the past month despite continued efforts. Any suggestions for improving my flexibility? Or does is it just going to take time?

To become comfortable riding on the drops you gotta ride in the drops. You might be able to eventually touch your toes but the limiting factor is still likely going to be you being strong enough to ride on the drops. Are your arms and neck strong enough, can your psoas deal with the tighter hip angle?

There's no easy way - no magic pill for this one I'm afraid. The more time you spend in the position you wish to keep for a long time the better you'll get at it. It's gonna suck... and it's gonna suck for a long time but keep at it and you'll get there.

Dfrench200 said:

something that has helped my flexibility a lot is Yoga; try the CD " yoga for inflexible people"; try the hip flexor stretches, and lots others. In 6 months i was able to touch my toes. Also" yoga for athletes" do the cycling specific workout.

i stretch this way:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=791XXiYzNbE[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34k6B73vnnM[/ame]
i can touch my knees with my head :D