Flexpoints???

Mette

Guest
Uhm..when I started WW four years ago it was called 1-2-3 points. My range was 18-25 points daily.
Now I suddenly heard the term "flexpoints" - how does that work? Is it more effective?

Guess it all depends on who you talk to. Some seem to like it, others don't.

It is almost exactly like the 1-2-3 plan as far as points are concerned, when you figure with
flexpoints you aren't allowed to bank points (that's why they call them flex - you can use them
anytime you want). In 1-2-3 your range allowed you 175 points per week, plus activity points. In
flex, you now are given a strict daily target - 20 being what your old 1-2-3 range would be
assigned. Based on this you would work with 140 daily points PLUS 35 weekly flex points ... for a
total of 175 points per week. You can earn activity points, but can not bank them
- they must be used the same day they are earned. Another change between these two programs is that
in 1-2-3 there was no cap on the fiber grams when calculating points. In newer programs, you can
only use a maximum of 4 g fiber.

Where the complaints come in (and I still complain). WW replaced 1-2-3 with a newer points program
(winning points). In this program they lowered the daily ranges by 2 points, so the equivalent of
your old 1-2-3 range would change to 18-23. Banking was allowed. Based on this you were allowed 161
max weekly points, plus activity points which also could be banked. So switching to flex points from
the winning points program, you have the allowance to consume 14 additional points per week. Many of
us felt that adding 14 points per week hindered our weightloss, or made it very difficult to
refigure the maintenance routine - so just stuck with the winning points program. One thing to
definitely keep in mind is that you don't HAVE to use those flexpoints (and if we don't then it
makes me think we still are going right back to the old winning points program
- only the banking is done for us. <g>).

Joyce

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:14:29 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Uhm..when I started WW four years ago it was called 1-2-3 points. My range was 18-25 points daily.
>Now I suddenly heard the term "flexpoints" - how does that work? Is it more effective?

Thank you Joyce!

Ya know, I think Ill just stick to my good ol' 1-2-3 - it worked then and it must work now:eek:)

"Joyce" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse news:[email protected]...
> Guess it all depends on who you talk to. Some seem to like it, others
don't.

> It is almost exactly like the 1-2-3 plan as far as points are concerned,
when you
> figure with flexpoints you aren't allowed to bank points (that's why they
call
> them flex - you can use them anytime you want). In 1-2-3 your range
allowed you
> 175 points per week, plus activity points. In flex, you now are given a
strict
> daily target - 20 being what your old 1-2-3 range would be assigned.
Based on
> this you would work with 140 daily points PLUS 35 weekly flex points ...
for a
> total of 175 points per week. You can earn activity points, but can not
bank them
> - they must be used the same day they are earned. Another change between
these
> two programs is that in 1-2-3 there was no cap on the fiber grams when
calculating
> points. In newer programs, you can only use a maximum of 4 g fiber.
>
> Where the complaints come in (and I still complain). WW replaced 1-2-3
with a
> newer points program (winning points). In this program they lowered the
daily
> ranges by 2 points, so the equivalent of your old 1-2-3 range would change
> 18-23. Banking was allowed. Based on this you were allowed 161 max
weekly
> points, plus activity points which also could be banked. So switching to
flex
> points from the winning points program, you have the allowance to consume
14
> additional points per week. Many of us felt that adding 14 points per
week
> hindered our weightloss, or made it very difficult to refigure the
maintenance
> routine - so just stuck with the winning points program. One thing to
definitely
> keep in mind is that you don't HAVE to use those flexpoints (and if we
don't then
> it makes me think we still are going right back to the old winning points
program
> - only the banking is done for us. <g>).
>
> Joyce
>
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:14:29 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Uhm..when I started WW four years ago it was called 1-2-3 points. My
range
> >was 18-25 points daily. Now I suddenly heard the term "flexpoints" - how does that work? Is it
> >more effective?

Is anyone able to post, please, the "old" 1-2-3 range of points / day for various weights? Would be
much appreciated. Regards Rick

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:25:22 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thank you Joyce!
>
>Ya know, I think Ill just stick to my good ol' 1-2-3 - it worked then and it must work now:eek:)
>
>"Joyce" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse news:[email protected]...
>> Guess it all depends on who you talk to. Some seem to like it, others
>don't.
>>
>> It is almost exactly like the 1-2-3 plan as far as points are concerned,
>when you
>> figure with flexpoints you aren't allowed to bank points (that's why they
>call
>> them flex - you can use them anytime you want). In 1-2-3 your range
>allowed you
>> 175 points per week, plus activity points. In flex, you now are given a
>strict
>> daily target - 20 being what your old 1-2-3 range would be assigned.
>Based on
>> this you would work with 140 daily points PLUS 35 weekly flex points ...
>for a
>> total of 175 points per week. You can earn activity points, but can not
>bank them
>> - they must be used the same day they are earned. Another change between
>these
>> two programs is that in 1-2-3 there was no cap on the fiber grams when
>calculating
>> points. In newer programs, you can only use a maximum of 4 g fiber.
>>
>> Where the complaints come in (and I still complain). WW replaced 1-2-3
>with a
>> newer points program (winning points). In this program they lowered the
>daily
>> ranges by 2 points, so the equivalent of your old 1-2-3 range would change
>> 18-23. Banking was allowed. Based on this you were allowed 161 max
>weekly
>> points, plus activity points which also could be banked. So switching to
>flex
>> points from the winning points program, you have the allowance to consume
>14
>> additional points per week. Many of us felt that adding 14 points per
>week
>> hindered our weightloss, or made it very difficult to refigure the
>maintenance
>> routine - so just stuck with the winning points program. One thing to
>definitely
>> keep in mind is that you don't HAVE to use those flexpoints (and if we
>don't then
>> it makes me think we still are going right back to the old winning points
>program
>> - only the banking is done for us. <g>).
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:14:29 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Uhm..when I started WW four years ago it was called 1-2-3 points. My
>range
>> >was 18-25 points daily. Now I suddenly heard the term "flexpoints" - how does that work? Is it
>> >more effective?

Oh oh. I didn't realize that you can only use 4 fiber points. Thanks for telling me.

Sandy

"Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> week
> > hindered our weightloss, or made it very difficult to refigure the
> maintenance
> > routine - so just stuck with the winning points program. One thing to
> definitely
> > keep in mind is that you don't HAVE to use those flexpoints (and if we
> don't then
> > it makes me think we still are going right back to the old winning
points
> program
> > - only the banking is done for us. <g>).
> >
> > Joyce
> >
> > On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:14:29 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Uhm..when I started WW four years ago it was called 1-2-3 points. My
> range
> > >was 18-25 points daily. Now I suddenly heard the term "flexpoints" -

It is not 4 fiber points. It is 4 grams of fiber per item when calculating the points the old 1-2-3
program, had unlimited fiber grams, so it really adjusted the points significantly.

Debbie

"Sandy W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nopKb.754654$Tr4.2120505@attbi_s03...
> [...]
> > flex
> > > points from the winning points program, you have the allowance to
> consume
> > 14
> > > additional points per week. Many of us felt that adding 14 points
per
> > week
> > > hindered our weightloss, or made it very difficult to refigure the
> > maintenance
> > > routine - so just stuck with the winning points program. One thing to
> > definitely
> > > keep in mind is that you don't HAVE to use those flexpoints (and if we
> > don't then
> > > it makes me think we still are going right back to the old winning
> points
> > program
> > > - only the banking is done for us. <g>).

Thanks, That what I meant.

Sandy

"Deb in Northern California" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:mvednb5wLdoh12eiRVn-
[email protected]...
> It is not 4 fiber points. It is 4 grams of fiber per item when
calculating
> the points the old 1-2-3 program, had unlimited fiber grams, so it really adjusted the points
> significantly.
>
> Debbie
>
> "Sandy W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nopKb.754654$Tr4.2120505@attbi_s03...
> > Oh oh. I didn't realize that you can only use 4 fiber points. Thanks for telling me.
> >
> > Sandy
> >
> > "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Thank you Joyce!
> > >
> > > Ya know, I think Ill just stick to my good ol' 1-2-3 - it worked then
> and
> > it
> > > must work now:eek:)
> > >
> > > "Joyce" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > don't.

> concerned,
> > > when you
> > they
> > > call
> > > allowed you
> > > strict
> > > Based on
> > > for a
> not
> > > bank them
> > between
> > > these
> > > calculating

> 1-2-3
> > > with a
> the
> > > daily
> > change
> > > weekly
> > > flex
> > consume
> > > 14
> per
> > > week
> > > maintenance
> > > definitely
> > > don't then
> > points
> > > program

My
> > > range
> > how

I think that is pretty much the same attitude many of us took ... if it ain't broke, why fix it?
I've become fairly accustomed to the flexpoint plan now, just have to remember to drop off 14
flexpoints at the beginning of the week. I also DO bank my activity points, and bank uneaten
food points - but the weekly totals come out to the same amount of points as the old program.
I've had to make adjustments because I do ww online, and their journal *forces* us to use their
flexpoint system.

Joyce

> [...]

>week
>> hindered our weightloss, or made it very difficult to refigure the
>maintenance
>> routine - so just stuck with the winning points program. One thing to
>definitely
>> keep in mind is that you don't HAVE to use those flexpoints (and if we
>don't then
>> it makes me think we still are going right back to the old winning points
>program
>> - only the banking is done for us. <g>).
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:14:29 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Uhm..when I started WW four years ago it was called 1-2-3 points. My
>range
>> >was 18-25 points daily. Now I suddenly heard the term "flexpoints" - how does that work? Is it

That was another change that was made from the 1-2-3 program, to the Winning points program. I
believe the logic was that people were loading up on highfiber items, counting them as zero or
extremely low points in higher servings - and then wondering why no weightloss (or minimal) was
happening. So the 4g fiber cap was introduced.

Joyce

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 02:50:59 GMT, "Sandy W" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > points, plus activity points which also could be banked. So switching
>> flex
>> > points from the winning points program, you have the allowance to
>consume
>> 14
>> > additional points per week. Many of us felt that adding 14 points per
>> week
>> > hindered our weightloss, or made it very difficult to refigure the
>> maintenance
>> > routine - so just stuck with the winning points program. One thing to
>> definitely
>> > keep in mind is that you don't HAVE to use those flexpoints (and if we
>> don't then
>> > it makes me think we still are going right back to the old winning
>points
>> program
>> > - only the banking is done for us. <g>).

That is the explanation we got from our WW leader.