Flexy carbon

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cat, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Cat

    Cat Guest

    I recently replaced my straight MTB alu bar with a very light Easton EC 90 MonkeyLite SL riser.

    I really don't miss the straight bar (except the bar ends), and prefer the riser bar in downhills
    and technical stuff.

    But as a XC-racer at 80 kilo, I was surprised to find that bar flexes a lot in sprints and
    under pressure.

    Is this typical for all carbon bars, or is it more likely to happen with the (stupidly) light EC 90
    bar (135 g)?

    Is it smart for a relatively heavy rider to go for the fashionably
    31.8 mm stem/bar combo?

    I'm happy for any comments, because I haven't found any objective tests or information about it.

    Cat

    Tags:

  2. Cat wrote:
    > I recently replaced my straight MTB alu bar with a very light Easton EC 90 MonkeyLite SL riser.
    >
    > I really don't miss the straight bar (except the bar ends), and prefer the riser bar in downhills
    > and technical stuff.
    >
    > But as a XC-racer at 80 kilo, I was surprised to find that bar flexes a lot in sprints and under
    > pressure.
    >
    > Is this typical for all carbon bars, or is it more likely to happen with the (stupidly) light EC
    > 90 bar (135 g)?
    >
    > Is it smart for a relatively heavy rider to go for the fashionably
    > 31.8 mm stem/bar combo?
    >
    > I'm happy for any comments, because I haven't found any objective tests or information about it.
    >
    > Cat

    I'm 80 kg and have been riding the EC70 monkeylite bar for six months now without anything breaking.
    However I don't believe the stem EA70 is made out of carbon. I kind of like the flexing and try to
    incorporate it into my motion. I'll keep the bar but will probably put a Thomson stem on one of
    these days. I don't really like the hinged and one bolt attachment of the stem to the bar. On the
    other hand it is a little bit wider than normal which might be nice for the carbon bar. Just my
    subjective thoughts on the subject ;)

    --
    Perre

  3. Cipher