Flight Deck or Cat Eye

pilgrimspro

Aug 2, 2004
I am a newbie, and I want to get a wireless computer, but I am can't make up my mind which one. I have searched and did not really come up with an answer.

I have Tiagra shifters so the flight deck would be nice, but the Cateye is a little cheaper, and "seems" to be more popular.

Any help would be appreciated.

pilgrimspro said:
I am a newbie, and I want to get a wireless computer, but I am can't make up my mind which one. I have searched and did not really come up with an answer.

I have Tiagra shifters so the flight deck would be nice, but the Cateye is a little cheaper, and "seems" to be more popular.

Any help would be appreciated.

Flight Deck! It provides lots of easy to read function results. Cadence is the the one that I could not do without. Shifter control is also real nice. Worth the price for me.

The major difference between the two is ease-of-use while riding and real cadence.

The Flight Deck is definitely the easiest to use and its integration with Shimano components make s for an easy and clean installation. The downside is that it only offers virtual cadence, which is not very useful for training.

The Cat-Eye, with real cadence, is good for training but the installation is slightly more complex and the unit is not nearly as easy to use on the road where you need to operate the buttons on the computer display to change modes.

I own both and they have both work flawlessly.

What Cateye?
I use the CD300DW double wireless and its great.
Have used the Flightdeck but got ****** off with having to manually turn it on each time I rode. At least with the Cateyes the wheel rotation will wake it up.

gruppo said:
The major difference between the two is ease-of-use while riding and real cadence.

The Flight Deck is definitely the easiest to use and its integration with Shimano components make s for an easy and clean installation. The downside is that it only offers virtual cadence, which is not very useful for training.

The Cat-Eye, with real cadence, is good for training but the installation is slightly more complex and the unit is not nearly as easy to use on the road where you need to operate the buttons on the computer display to change modes.

I own both and they have both work flawlessly.
And whats the big disadvanage to virtual cadence?

Cat Eye astrale 8. It does everything the flight deck does except show the gear inticators (no big deal) for a third the cost. It's cadence is actual instead of calculated (again, no big deal). And to me, it's simpler to operate (no dual loop system) and doesn't have the problems some have had w/accidental resets. It's also a lot simpler to install, those STI hood interfaces scare me -- I worked to install the wireless kit on my wife's bike when she took up cycling for a couple hrs and ended up cussing a lot (the LBS that ended up installing threw the kit away assuming it was defective somewhere). I'll never touch a flightdeck again (or until a significant redesign and competitve cost).

I have the flight deck and I cannot say enough about it. It is truly the best albeit a little spendy.

The issue with the virtual cadence is that it is a calculated value not a measured value like the Cateye. Although I am sure the Cateye works great but less wires and complication on the Flight deck (with the possible exception of the hood switches.

Being able to switch modes while on the hoods I find both safer and convienient as your hands are where they should be. The gear indicator keeps your focus forward insted of looking down which is also an often overlooked feature.

As for the calculated Cadence you know when you are pedaling and when you are not. Well at least I know!! If you are not sure your computer is the least of your worries.

My only complaint about the Flight Deck is the operator and set up manual is a little weak. My flight deck is 3 years old and worked like a charm but the manual sucks.
My vote is definately the Flight Deck

Flightdecks are good but as one poster mentioned, is the virtual cadence that sucks, not good for training. I would suggest to get a Cateye Astrale 8 (wired) as this is a speed and cadence cyclocomp or if you have some money, get the wireless cc-cd300dw speed/cadence. I have one installed just last week and it is nice! So far so good. Good luck!

Is the Tiagra flight deck compatible? I had thought I read somewhere only ultegra/105 might have been. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've also got an Astrale 8 someone mentioned here and it works great. ALso the Polar wireless Cadence/Speed sensors, and they have been problematic. It's very frustrating to see them drop off when you need precise distance (ie. cuesheet). Wireless isn't worth it unless you haev a real need. I think it weighs more, and installation time is not significant for wired. I have wireless on an S&S coupled bike to make disassembly easier.