Flight Deck Tire setting for 700x32 ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Pedder, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Steve Pedder

    Steve Pedder Guest

    If anyone is runnning 700x32's with Shimano Flight Deck, kindly share your tire circumference
    setting. Not that it matters, but I'm using some Ritchey SpeedMax Cross tires and a 6500 head unit.

    Thanks...

    Tags:

  2. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    "Steve Pedder" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If anyone is runnning 700x32's with Shimano Flight Deck, kindly share your tire
    > circumference setting. Not that it matters, but I'm using some Ritchey SpeedMax Cross tires
    > and a 6500 head unit.
    >
    > Thanks...

    Why don't you do a "rollout", and get the number for yourself? It is generally more accurate than
    depending on a published "average".

    Position the valve stem at the 6 o'clock position, and mark the spot (it helps if you have an
    assistant). Push the bike forward, observing the valve stem, and applying some weight on the
    handlebars. I like to roll forward for 3 revolutions. When the valve stem reaches the 6 o'clock
    position again, mark the spot. Then, use a tape measure to find the distance between the first and
    last spots. Divide by the number of revolutions, and viola, you've got your exact circumference.

    Note: If you're really anal about it, you can repeat this every month or so, to account for
    tire wear.

    Gary G.

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Steve Pedder" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If anyone is runnning 700x32's with Shimano Flight Deck,
    kindly share your
    > tire circumference setting. Not that it matters, but I'm
    using some
    > Ritchey SpeedMax Cross tires and a 6500 head unit.
    >
    > Thanks...

    Or calibrate against a known distance (I use the mileposts on the Natchez Trace to check computer
    settings, or the 'bornes kilometriques' when I'm in France).