Flight Deck won't register low speeds

soretaint

Jul 25, 2007
I've been using an SC-6502 Flight Deck on my bike for the past 12 months or so, and have recently noticed it's reading "0 kph" at any speeds below around 12 kph. As I slow down on steep climbs, it just reads zero, then starts at maybe 12 kph or higher as I accelerate. Apart from wanting to know my speed, it's also not recording distance travelled (I presume) during these steep climbs - I'm getting no credit for my hardest work!!:( Is this a fault, or have I just failed to notice before, as I've now started doing more steep (slow...) climbs?

I've replace the sensor battery, and also checked the magnet is close enough etc. Any ideas?

soretaint said:
I've been using an SC-6502 Flight Deck on my bike for the past 12 months or so, and have recently noticed it's reading "0 kph" at any speeds below around 12 kph. As I slow down on steep climbs, it just reads zero, then starts at maybe 12 kph or higher as I accelerate. Apart from wanting to know my speed, it's also not recording distance travelled (I presume) during these steep climbs - I'm getting no credit for my hardest work!!:( Is this a fault, or have I just failed to notice before, as I've now started doing more steep (slow...) climbs?

I've replace the sensor battery, and also checked the magnet is close enough etc. Any ideas?
Your main Flight Deck unit needs a new 2032 battery ... ASAP!

I discovered this undocumented (i.e., probably unintended) aspect of the wireless version of the Flight Deck computer harness a few years ago [yes, I even changed the sensor's battery to no avail!] -- the display's output becomes erratic about a week-or-two (?) before the 2032 battery dies ... so, it is actually "a good thing" because (as you may know), you've normally got only what seems to be about 3 (?!?) minutes to change the battery after the low battery message is shown ... and, what good is THAT 3 minutes if you're on the road OR don't have a new battery to install?

Thanks Alf - I'll give it a go.

alfeng said:
Your main Flight Deck unit needs a new 2032 battery ... ASAP!

I discovered this undocumented (i.e., probably unintended) aspect of the wireless version of the Flight Deck computer harness a few years ago [yes, I even changed the sensor's battery to no avail!] -- the display's output becomes erratic about a week-or-two (?) before the 2032 battery dies ... so, it is actually "a good thing" because (as you may know), you've normally got only what seems to be about 3 (?!?) minutes to change the battery after the low battery message is shown ... and, what good is THAT 3 minutes if you're on the road OR don't have a new battery to install?

soretaint said:
Thanks Alf - I'll give it a go.
I noticed the same thing with mine - erratic w/ bad battery. I was trying to 're use' batteries from some old computers I had in the garage and since I actually spent the princely sum of $3 for a new battery, performance has been flawless.

Anytime you start getting funny readings from a battery powered device, the first thing you should do is check the batteries or change them. When a battery is new or has adequate charge, it easily provides the current necessary with plenty o' juice in reserve. However, when it gets low, high demand functions from the electronic device over tax the battery's resources, causing decreased current, which leads to bad calculations, info loss, or the vibrator stops for a bit.

Just cuz the battery came with the device or is sitting on a store shelf, doesn't mean it ain't almost dead. Energy density in a battery goes down over time, even without use. One nice thing about Duracell batteries is the "use by" date on 'em. Maybe other battery makers have this, too. I dunno.

O.K., new batt. in the computer as well as the sensor now, so we'll see how it goes on the hills tomorrow.