Flight deck ???

kfb

Aug 19, 2004
Put money down on an 04' Roubaix Elite today. I'm buying it on layaway, and plan to pick it up in time for spring riding next year. I was wondering if the flight deck is the way to go for a computer? Any of you have positive or negative feedback on the flight deck?

Thanks!

kfb said:
Put money down on an 04' Roubaix Elite today. I'm buying it on layaway, and plan to pick it up in time for spring riding next year. I was wondering if the flight deck is the way to go for a computer? Any of you have positive or negative feedback on the flight deck?

Thanks!

The Flight Deck is great computer with seamless integration on STI levers. I have had superb results from mine.

The only downside is that it has "virtual cadence" readout. Because the sensor is only on the front wheel, it cannot read actual pedal rpm and calculates the cadence from the front tire speed and the gear that you are in. Thus, you can have a very high cadence when not even pedaling.

If that one fact doesn't concern you, it is highly recommended. If you want real cadence, I would recommend the Cat-Eye Double Wireless.

kfb said:

Thanks!
Be sure to check out the new Cateye 300 model - rear mounted (hence can use with indoor trainers), with both cadence and speed sensors coming off same unit. Just installed one on my brand new Roubaix Pro and road with it first time today - I love it!

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is with "virtual cadence". I had a Cat Eye with an actual cadence on it on my old bike. Now I have the Flight Deck since my new bike had the integrated STI shifters. I have to say that there really isn't a difference in virtual vs. actual. I mean, if you aren't peddling, you KNOW you aren't! Who cares if the readout goes to zero or not? Does it really matter??

The other thing I really don't get is the "indoor trainer" thing. I guess everyone has their preference but I just don't see the appeal of riding on a trainer indoors like that. It can't come close to simulating the actual wind resistence you feel, the slopes and hills, and temperature that you have to get accustomed to by riding on the road.

As for the Flight Deck specifically, I have mine set up with the wireless sensor and it's great. The one thing I don't like about it is that it gets a bit of getting used to in the way you change from one mode to another, use the stopwatch function, etc. The more you use it the more you get used to it though. I'd like to see more info on the screen at one time but having a visual readout of the gears I am in outweighs this.

Oh, and on my last ride, the "max" reading flipped out and read 108.5mph!!! :eek: Don't know what the hell went wrong. The average speed and all other functions were still right on so I'm not sure what happened. Other than that one anomaly, it's been great. I'm sort of curious if anyone else has had a weird readout on max speed?