Flightdeck 6501 on 6500 mounts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Mishler, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    Will the new Flightdeck 6501 head work on older 6500 mounting hardware? My 6500 head has been
    "retired" and I'm wondering if I can use a new 6501 control head on the old mounts without having to
    use new mounting hardware and retaping the bars, etc. If so, do I lose any functionality or
    anything? My old Flightdeck has the two buttons on the right side shifter.

    Thanks, Mish

    Tags:

  2. Gary Mishler asked:

    > Will the new Flightdeck 6501 head work on older 6500 mounting hardware? My 6500 head has been
    > "retired" and I'm wondering if I can use a new 6501 control head on the old mounts without having
    > to use new mounting hardware and retaping the bars, etc. If so, do I lose any functionality or
    > anything? My old Flightdeck has the two buttons on the right side shifter.

    Yes, these are fully compatible.

    Sheldon "Electronics Are Fun" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
    | Music expresses that which cannot be said | and on which it is impossible to be silent. |
    | --Victor Hugo |
    +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gary Mishler asked:
    >
    > > Will the new Flightdeck 6501 head work on older 6500 mounting hardware?
    My
    > > 6500 head has been "retired" and I'm wondering if I can use a new 6501 control head on the old
    > > mounts without having to use new mounting
    hardware
    > > and retaping the bars, etc. If so, do I lose any functionality or
    anything?
    > > My old Flightdeck has the two buttons on the right side shifter.
    >
    > Yes, these are fully compatible.
    >
    > Sheldon "Electronics Are Fun" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
    > | Music expresses that which cannot be said | and on which it is impossible to be silent. |
    > | --Victor Hugo |
    > +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    > 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    Thanks Sheldon, I appreciate the info.

    Mish

  4. As Sheldon pointed out, they're completely compatible. One thing to note on the 6501 head though; it
    has a very aggressive "sleep" mode, and is not woken up by wheel movement after it's been sitting
    for a while. You actually have to push one of the buttons underneath the unit to wake it up; the
    side buttons won't do the trick.