Flightdeck 6501 on 6500 mounts?

Gary Mishler

Guest
Will the new Flightdeck 6501 head work on older 6500 mounting hardware? My 6500 head has been
"retired" and I'm wondering if I can use a new 6501 control head on the old mounts without having to
use new mounting hardware and retaping the bars, etc. If so, do I lose any functionality or
anything? My old Flightdeck has the two buttons on the right side shifter.

Thanks, Mish

Gary Mishler asked:

> Will the new Flightdeck 6501 head work on older 6500 mounting hardware? My 6500 head has been
> "retired" and I'm wondering if I can use a new 6501 control head on the old mounts without having
> to use new mounting hardware and retaping the bars, etc. If so, do I lose any functionality or
> anything? My old Flightdeck has the two buttons on the right side shifter.

Yes, these are fully compatible.

Sheldon "Electronics Are Fun" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
| Music expresses that which cannot be said | and on which it is impossible to be silent. |
| --Victor Hugo |
+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Gary Mishler asked:
>
> > Will the new Flightdeck 6501 head work on older 6500 mounting hardware?
My
> > 6500 head has been "retired" and I'm wondering if I can use a new 6501 control head on the old
> > mounts without having to use new mounting
hardware
> > and retaping the bars, etc. If so, do I lose any functionality or
anything?
> > My old Flightdeck has the two buttons on the right side shifter.
>
> Yes, these are fully compatible.
>
> Sheldon "Electronics Are Fun" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
> | Music expresses that which cannot be said | and on which it is impossible to be silent. |
> | --Victor Hugo |
> +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Thanks Sheldon, I appreciate the info.

Mish

As Sheldon pointed out, they're completely compatible. One thing to note on the 6501 head though; it
has a very aggressive "sleep" mode, and is not woken up by wheel movement after it's been sitting
for a while. You actually have to push one of the buttons underneath the unit to wake it up; the
side buttons won't do the trick.