Flightdeck downside

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per ElmsäTer, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. I'm having problems with the start and stop button on my flightdeck. It seems I continuously push it
    undeliberately and my trip distance stops counting until it its undeliberately pushed the next time.
    This is a bummer cause I have no idea how far I've gone without memorizing the ODO settings on
    starting out.

    Is there any mode where you can have the trip distance logging and the start stop function not
    enabled? I found one but it isn't very interesting since all I get displayed then is speed and CNT.
    When I have CNT on the display the start and stop button only increments the lapcounter instead of
    stating and stoppping the trip distance. BTW what does anybody ever use the CNT function for?
    Counting laps in the velodrome ........

    I want to normally view speed and rpm or speed and distance.

    I've actually thought about cutting off the wire that goes to the start button. The only thing I
    usually need it for is resetting the trip functions once at the start of every ride and then
    starting the counter. I suppose I could do that with the two buttons on the instrument itself.

    I have the 6501 model on an Ultegra STI setup. IE one button on each integrated shift lever.

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

    Tags:

  2. "Per Elmster" <[email protected]> wrote:
    : BTW what does anybody ever use the CNT function for? Counting laps in the velodrome ........

    i use it for counting roadkill while touring. pity it rolls over at 100.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  3. Wbtobal

    Wbtobal Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Per Elmsäter"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >I'm having problems with the start and stop button on my flightdeck. It seems I continuously push
    >it undeliberately and my trip distance stops counting until it its undeliberately pushed the next
    >time. This is a bummer cause I have no idea how far I've gone without memorizing the ODO settings
    >on starting out.

    ///snipped///

    "Shorten" the Start/Stop button. Lift the STI hood on the left side, clip the button (to make it
    more flush with the harness insert) with a pair of side cutters/wire cutters. In the future you may
    have to lift the hood and depress the button with a paper clip or toothpick to start/stop or reset,
    but a button that is flush with the harness insert shouldn't be as prone to an inadvertent press.

    Regards,
    Bill

  4. Dave Lehnen

    Dave Lehnen Guest

    Per Elms=E4ter wrote:
    > I'm having problems with the start and stop button on my flightdeck. It=

    > seems I continuously push it undeliberately and my trip distance stops counting until it its
    > undeliberately pushed the next time. This is a bu=
    mmer
    > cause I have no idea how far I've gone without memorizing the ODO setti=
    ngs
    > on starting out.
    >=20
    > Is there any mode where you can have the trip distance logging and the =
    start
    > stop function not enabled? I found one but it isn't very interesting since all I get
    > displayed the=
    n is
    > speed and CNT. When I have CNT on the display the start and stop button=
    only
    > increments the lapcounter instead of stating and stoppping the trip distance. BTW what does
    > anybody ever use the CNT function for? Counting=
    laps
    > in the velodrome ........
    >=20
    > I want to normally view speed and rpm or speed and distance.
    >=20
    > I've actually thought about cutting off the wire that goes to the start=

    > button. The only thing I usually need it for is resetting the trip func=
    tions
    > once at the start of every ride and then starting the counter. I suppos=
    e I
    > could do that with the two buttons on the instrument itself.
    >=20
    > I have the 6501 model on an Ultegra STI setup. IE one button on each integrated shift lever.
    >=20
    > --
    > Perre
    >=20
    > Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply
    >=20 20

    I've got the same problem. If you have Odometer or Time-of-day clock=20 displayed, the left button
    does nothing, although accidental hits of=20 the right button may change modes back to where the
    left button is=20 again active. In either of the RPM display modes the left button is=20 inactive,
    but again, accidental right button hits can change to Max=20 speed or Ave speed display, where once
    again the left button is=20 active and will start and stop the trip distance.

    The most practical solution is surgical removal of the left thumb,=20 which also reduces total
    weight, improving climbing performance.

    If you keep a log of mileage (kilometerage?), if you note the=20 odometer reading at least
    occasionally, you can back-figure trip=20 distance for one ride where the trip odometer was
    accidentally stopped.

    It probably isn't worth the effort, but you could wire a small=20 toggle switch into the circuit
    which enables or disables the left=20 button, and mount it somewhere it won't be hit accidentally.
    The=20 switch would be left in the disable position most of the time, but=20 put in the enable
    position to use the stopwatch or counter=20 functions, or to clear data.

    Dave Lehnen

  5. "WBtobal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Per Elmsäter"
    > <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >I'm having problems with the start and stop button on my flightdeck. It seems I continuously push
    > >it undeliberately and my trip distance stops counting until it its undeliberately pushed the next
    > >time. This is a
    bummer
    > >cause I have no idea how far I've gone without memorizing the ODO
    settings
    > >on starting out.
    >
    > ///snipped///
    >
    > "Shorten" the Start/Stop button. Lift the STI hood on the left side, clip the button (to make it
    > more flush with the harness insert) with a pair of side cutters/wire cutters. In the future you
    > may have to lift the hood
    and
    > depress the button with a paper clip or toothpick to start/stop or reset,
    but
    > a button that is flush with the harness insert shouldn't be as prone to an inadvertent press.

    Hmmmm. Maybe a ring around the button under the STI hood will have the same effect. I am thinking
    about the same setup that is used on blisters on the foot. You put a soft ring around the blister
    and then some tape over the whole thing. This keeps the shoe from chafing. In my case it'll keep my
    thumb from chafing and I might not have to remove it surgically. I wouldn't have minded removing my
    thumb but since I already am a very proficient climber it will not be necessary at all.

    --
    Perre

    Replace the DOTs to reply