Flightdeck Questions.

Originally posted by shokhead12
Hop on your bike and just start riding and the computer automaticly starts, FD doesnt do that. Thats auto start in my mind.

FD does do that according to the posts 2 or 3 up from this :D

Originally posted by Fixey
FD does do that according to the posts 2 or 3 up from this :D

It would appear that the older Flight Decks did. The newer ones, (SC-6501) don't.

Beastt said:
It would appear that the older Flight Decks did. The newer ones, (SC-6501) don't.

Flightdeck problems

My flightdeck SC_6501 has worked flawless for the past 2 1/2 years ...after tightening the right brake lever It will not start record average speed, max speed, trip distance ...etc. But it records cadence and current speed. I reprogramed it but it did not make any difference. I have heard of a similar problem where these same functions could not be reset. Did anyone have a similar problem and solved it?

Thanx
Roofrak2

roofrak2 said:
Flightdeck problems

My flightdeck SC_6501 has worked flawless for the past 2 1/2 years ...after tightening the right brake lever It will not start record average speed, max speed, trip distance ...etc. But it records cadence and current speed. I reprogramed it but it did not make any difference. I have heard of a similar problem where these same functions could not be reset. Did anyone have a similar problem and solved it?

Thanx
Roofrak2

I haven't heard of any similar problems and I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say you tightened the right brake lever. I'll assume you mean you tightened the clamp that holds the lever on the handlebars. If that's the case then I would suspect that something shifted under the brake hood and may be pinching a wire or binding the button on that side. If you haven't already, you might fold the brake hood back until you can see the button/switch assembly and see if the assembly is binding against anything.

I think the concept behind the flighdeck computer is great, and bought one for my wife -- she was just getting into road biking and was complaining about not knowing what gears she was in. (To me it's the easiest thing in the world just to glance down at your cassette/chainrings, but the heads-up display makes sense too.) So I got her the wireless version as a gift.

After a couple of hours trying to install it, I gave up. The LBS couldn't get it to work and ended up switching out the wiring harness. Once it worked, my wife had a frustrating time w/learning how to navigate the different modes. Since then it's worked, but it's been difficult for her to press the buttons and get a consistent response.

In our experience, it's money NOT well spent. In hindsight I'd get her an Astrale 8 and those little in-line mechanical gear indicators.

raffcarnio said:
I'm very happy for Flight Deck 6501 x 9 speeds.
Now I'm waiting the Flight Deck 6502 x 10 speeds from December, someone know when it will be available?
Ummm I already have it. Bought a Trek 5500 about 2 weeks ago and asked them to mount it before I picked it up. Works great so far. My only real beef is I'd like to set it up when riding my rollers so I can see the elapsed time AND my cadence. But then the Flightdeck is a bit weak on the cadence department as it has no sensor, it just figures it out based on your speed. I like the Cateye on my old Colnago as I can see both elapsed time and cadence and get my real cadence. As for having the Flightdeck sensor on the front wheel, is not a problem for me since I ride rollers when training indoors. And the auto-wake up works fine on mine. It may well go into power saving mode after some period of time, but so far has started up after every stop. Just be careful with that left button as I've hit it once so far and stopped the time by accident without immediately knowing it.

Beastt said:
I haven't heard of any similar problems and I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say you tightened the right brake lever. I'll assume you mean you tightened the clamp that holds the lever on the handlebars. If that's the case then I would suspect that something shifted under the brake hood and may be pinching a wire or binding the button on that side. If you haven't already, you might fold the brake hood back until you can see the button/switch assembly and see if the assembly is binding against anything.

Thanks Beastt and everyone else ...I gt it working !!!...It wasn't binding under my brake clamp but I did loosen and retighten everything under the boot....I then went through the different modes and activated the (TIM) timer and everything workes fine again...just like at has for the last 2 1/2 years
Thanks

waterboy420 said:
I am looking at purchasing a new computer, and really like the integrated brake lever controls of the Flightdeck.

Has anyone tried to mount the sensor on the rear wheel with any success for getting stats while riding on a trainer?

As a matter of fact I did. Though it was not pretty. I tried to solder a splice betweent the magnet pickup and the unit. I though headphone wire would work. It did not and I did not have the neurosurgeon skill to do the deed. I had an old flight deck mount hanging around and took it to an electronics repair shop in town. They used the wire from my old mount and spliced it onto the new mount, and with considerable more skill than I, made it work. Works like a charm. I would'nt recommend someone without electronics soldering skills to attempt this. That little wire melts fast.

I have just switched to a Polar S725/power system and happen to have a spare Flightdeck with an extra long wire on it currently sitting in a shoebox in the garage if anyone is interested.

Bruce

Does Shimano plan to release a 2005 model of Flight Deck? I haven't seen anything on their website. Was anything announced at the Las Vegas show?