Flightline, Carlsbad CA ~Video~

Bill Porter

Guest
I have put a webpage and video on one my favorite local rides here in the northern part of San Diego
County. While not a not epic ride, it is less than 10 minutes away from home and you can ride
further that most folks care to in a morning.

The page is Flightline in the San Diego section

The video is here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/Flightline-Web.mpg

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have put a webpage and video on one my favorite local rides here in the northern part of San
> Diego County. While not a not epic ride, it is less than 10 minutes away from home and you can
> ride further that most folks care to in a morning.
>
> The page is Flightline in the San Diego section
>
> The video is here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/Flightline-Web.mpg
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Looks nice. Thanks.

What's your setup? I just got a Viosport cam and have only taken it out once. I have some adjusting
to make. Did you get a wide-angle lens?

Matt

On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:56:05 -0600, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I have put a webpage and video on one my favorite local rides here in the northern part of San
>> Diego County. While not a not epic ride, it is less than 10 minutes away from home and you can
>> ride further that most folks care to in a morning.
>>
>> The page is Flightline in the San Diego section
>>
>> The video is here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/Flightline-Web.mpg
>>
>> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
>>

>Looks nice. Thanks.
>
>What's your setup? I just got a Viosport cam and have only taken it out once. I have some adjusting
>to make. Did you get a wide-angle lens?
>
>Matt

I have a 3.6mm lens installed on the lipstick cam. I am recording to an 8mm camcorder and then
capturing with a ATI-8500DV (All-in-Wonder) video/capture card. I capture in AVI format and do not
convert to MPG until I make the final web version. Looking at moving up to minDV in the future.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have put a webpage and video on one my favorite local rides here in the northern part of San
> Diego County. While not a not epic ride, it is less than 10 minutes away from home and you can
> ride further that most folks care to in a morning.
>
> The page is Flightline in the San Diego section
>
> The video is here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/Flightline-Web.mpg
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Nice! Is that area near Elfin Forrest?

TJ

On Tue, 20 May 2003 18:41:01 -0500, "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I have put a webpage and video on one my favorite local rides here in the northern part of San
>> Diego County. While not a not epic ride, it is less than 10 minutes away from home and you can
>> ride further that most folks care to in a morning.
>>
>> The page is Flightline in the San Diego section
>>
>> The video is here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/Flightline-Web.mpg
>>
>> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
>>

>Nice! Is that area near Elfin Forrest?
>
>TJ

Nope not really. It is about 8 miles away as a crow flies. Much further by driving distance. I have
heard a couple of rumors that there is a way to connect the two areas with only a minimum of
pavement. If anyones knows of one I would really like to know it.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 20 May 2003 18:41:01 -0500, "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nope not really. It is about 8 miles away as a crow flies. Much further by driving distance. I
> have heard a couple of rumors that there is a way to connect the two areas with only a minimum of
> pavement. If anyones knows of one I would really like to know it.
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

The most direct route would still include a bunch of pavement. Flightline is still only about a mile
north of El Camino so you'd have to somehow head North and parallel Palomar Airport to Rancho Santa
Fe. There might be dirt trails from Flighline up to the Carlsbad raceway. From there, the only way I
even know of to get to Elfin forest from the North is to go down Rancho Santa Fe to Harmony Grove
and hang a hard left. Then you have several miles of fairly steep road climbing to do before you
even get to Elfin Forest and the wonderful Way Up trail (named for a reason). Personally, I don't
think it'd ever be worth it to even try and connect them but what do I know?

Michael

"Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 20 May 2003 18:41:01 -0500, "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Nope not really. It is about 8 miles away as a crow flies. Much further by driving distance. I
> > have heard a couple of rumors that there is a way to connect the two areas with only a minimum
> > of pavement. If anyones knows of one I would really like to know it.
> >
> > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
>
> The most direct route would still include a bunch of pavement. Flightline is still only about a
> mile north of El Camino so you'd have to somehow
head
> North and parallel Palomar Airport to Rancho Santa Fe. There might be
dirt
> trails from Flighline up to the Carlsbad raceway. From there, the only
way
> I even know of to get to Elfin forest from the North is to go down Rancho Santa Fe to Harmony
> Grove and hang a hard left. Then you have several
miles
> of fairly steep road climbing to do before you even get to Elfin Forest
and
> the wonderful Way Up trail (named for a reason). Personally, I don't
think
> it'd ever be worth it to even try and connect them but what do I know?
>
> Michael

I remember heading out from Mt Bike Warehouse in San Marcos on a group ride on night and taking some
singletrack that was south in a neighborhood. We rode to Elfin Forrest from San Marcos. Circa 1995.

TJ

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have put a webpage and video on one my favorite local rides here in the northern part of San
> > Diego County. While not a not epic ride, it is less than 10 minutes away from home and you can
> > ride further that most folks care to in a morning.
> >
> > The page is Flightline in the San Diego section
> >
> > The video is here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/Flightline-Web.mpg
> >
> > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
> >

> Nice! Is that area near Elfin Forrest?

Interesting, the hottie I met from Moab used to be a ranger at Elfin Forrest. I had never even heard
of that place until I met her, even though I did spend a lot of time in North County in my youth.
She indicated that there was a contingent of irresponsible people on bikes that didn't like
following the park rules. Imagine that.

JD

> "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I have put a webpage and video on one my favorite local rides here in the northern part of San
> > > Diego County. While not a not epic ride, it is less than 10 minutes away from home and you can
> > > ride further that most folks care to in a morning.
> > >
> > > The page is Flightline in the San Diego section
> > >
> > > The video is here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/Flightline-Web.mpg
> > >
> > > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
> > >

> > Nice! Is that area near Elfin Forrest?
>
> Interesting, the hottie I met from Moab used to be a ranger at Elfin Forrest. I had never even
> heard of that place until I met her, even though I did spend a lot of time in North County in my
> youth. She indicated that there was a contingent of irresponsible people on bikes that didn't like
> following the park rules. Imagine that.

Was her name Athena? (I kid you not!)

I rode there for first time a few years ago and an absolute BABE ranger told us where to park. I
could've sworn her name badge said "Athena" before I whited out.

Bill "had to lift chin off steering wheel" S.

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Nice! Is that area near Elfin Forrest?
> >
> > Interesting, the hottie I met from Moab used to be a ranger at Elfin Forrest. I had never even
> > heard of that place until I met her, even though I did spend a lot of time in North County in my
> > youth. She indicated that there was a contingent of irresponsible people on bikes that didn't
> > like following the park rules. Imagine that.
>
> Was her name Athena? (I kid you not!)
>
> I rode there for first time a few years ago and an absolute BABE ranger told us where to park. I
> could've sworn her name badge said "Athena" before I whited out.

Elizabeth, the Blonde.

JD