Flints don't puncture bicycle tires?

Mark Thompson wrote:
> > My touring bike has 11,500 miles behind it, and has had /one/ XXXXXXXX,

> The only way you can stop the p*ncture fairy now is to sacrifice an inner
> tube and smear patches of vulcanising solution to the sides and top of your
> front door frame.

I did that. Can't open the door now.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] wrote on 27/10/2006 09:19 +0100:

[...]

> I'll drink to that. Here a little missive from a friend in the UK:

> few samples from around the UK. These all say approximately the same
> thing and may lend some insight into British regional characteristics
> as well.

[...]

Reminds me of some dialogue form one of John Mortimer's
stories. Rumpole is interviewing trooper Boyne, who is
accused of murder, in the company of Boyne's solicitor.

Rumpole: It says here that you were overheard saying to
the deceased "Ah'm goonnae cut ya."

Solicitor: That is a manner of speaking. Trooper Boynes
is from Glasgow.

Rumpole: Oh, is that to be our defense?

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
Bart Bailey <[email protected]> wrote:

> In Message-ID:<[email protected]>
> posted on Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:59:58 GMT, Michael Press wrote: Begin
> >In article
> ><[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> For the benefit of UK readers (and those colonials who confuse the
> >> two-letter US state and possessions postal codes for Maine (ME), the
> >> Marshall Islands (MH), Maryland (MD), Massachusetts (MA), Minnesota
> >> MN), Mississippi (MS), Missouri (MO), and Montana (MT), "MO" means
> >> Missouri, the birthplace of Mark Twain.

> >Any omission or omissions?

> (CA) California, where there are probably more cyclists than all those
> other places combined.

Michigan (MI).

--
Michael Press

Simon Proven wrote on 27/10/2006 19:16 +0100:
> Mark Thompson wrote:
>>> My touring bike has 11,500 miles behind it, and has had /one/ XXXXXXXX,

>> The only way you can stop the p*ncture fairy now is to sacrifice an inner
>> tube and smear patches of vulcanising solution to the sides and top of your
>> front door frame.

> I did that. Can't open the door now.

That's how the punctures are stopped ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote on 27/10/2006 03:24 +0100:
> >
> > Yes, my impression is that flats from what the UK crowd and the Danes
> > call flints are so common that they'll be amused by this thread.

> As one of the UK crowd, they are not that common. I have never suffered
> on despite riding on flinty trails although a quick Google.co.uk will
> show some people have. My punctures have all been thorns, glass,
> various bits of metal and pieces of wood.

Mine are mostly glass, followed by thorns. However, it's hard to tell
a small shard of glass from a small shard of flint.

My most inconvenient puncture was definitely flint - a flat, viciously
sharp flake about the size of my thumbnail, which sliced the tyre
sidewall and innertube with a big enough hole that I didn't have a
patch suitable. I had to walk home.

> Flints tend to be rather large stones with smooth outsides that only
> have sharp edges if freshly knapped. Small flint shards tend to be
> rather fragile and break very easily.

You get shards on flinty ground tracks which have a lot of horse
traffic. I think the horse-shoes fracture the flints. This sort of
surface is also horrific if you fall off - it takes lots of skin and
bits of flesh of you very easily (I have the scars on one shoulder).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
> > My punctures have all been thorns, glass,
> > various bits of metal and pieces of wood.

> I've just remembered my puncture log. It lists details of my last 74
> punctures (I've been keeping it since March 2003).

Wow. My puncture log since the start of 2003 would be, errm, five.
Three in the front left, two in the rear wheel. Both the rears
were within the last month, which I interpret as an indication that
the tyre has worn sufficiently that it needs replacement.
None in bikes. None in unicycles. (But I do probably 50 times as much
mileage on the trice than either bikes or unicycle.)

The most recent puncture was a thorn, the previous was glass. One of
the others was glass (I remember because it was quite a big bit and
was a pain to extract from the tyre). I don't recall what the others
were.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

> WALES: "Ah, boyo, do you fancy a pint? Oh, bugger, it's Sunday - they're
> shut."

It's all a bit of fun, but on Sunday we now say "Who's round is it?"

Pubs in Wales, as in England are now open .. well whatever the local
licensing law is, but *could* (in theory) be all day.

The last referendum on Sunday drinking had Dwyfor vote for boozin' in
1989 after more than a century:

http://www.heretication.info/_enjoyment.html

refers if you aren't invited down the pub.

Mind you *shopping* on the Sabbath is limited to 8 hours at the most!
(again both E&W, dunno 'bout Scotland).

Ian Smith wrote:
> Wow. My puncture log since the start of 2003 would be, errm, five.
> Three in the front left, two in the rear wheel. Both the rears
> were within the last month, which I interpret as an indication that
> the tyre has worn sufficiently that it needs replacement.

They often come in clusters, indicating that it's time to change the
tyre. Earlier in the year I had 8 front punctures in 2 months. I
replaced the tyre (with a Stelvio that already had 1200 miles on it, not
a tyre generally known for its puncture resistance) and in the 3 months
since then I've only had 2 front punctures.

I shall be replacing said Stelvio this evening with something more
suitable for winter commuting.

> None in bikes. None in unicycles. (But I do probably 50 times as much
> mileage on the trice than either bikes or unicycle.)

Thankfully I've never punctured a unicycle tyre either. I say
thankfully because all of my unicycle wheels are a PITA to remove.

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Flint/chert is a natural glass that tends to crop up most in chalk rocks
>> and derived soils. Chalks are not used for roadstone, metamorphics
>> being much more common for that. In fact Britain's biggest quarry is in
>> Leicestershire (a little to the right of ventral England) because
>> there's very little suitable road stone in the south east, which happens
>> to be where a lot of the flint/chert is found.

> Flint/chert is not glass. Glass is vitreous. Glass is
> not crystalline. Glass is formed from a molten flow.
> Flint/chert is micro-crystalline silica. Flint/chert
> does not form from a molten flow. It appears to have
> more than one path to formation. One path is the
> amalgamation of diatom skeletons, themselves made from
> silica. Another path is solution and precipitation of
> silica in under-sea limestone formations.
>
> The gross mechanical properties of flint/chert arise
> from its micro-crystalline structure. It can fracture
> at small angles at the fracture planes, with a smooth
> fracture plane, and with a thin edge because there is
> no large crystal structure to prevent it. The edges are
> sharp because silica is hard.

Thank you.
But still it cuts! (apologies to Galileo)

Basically any path strewn with flint shards, glass (and I contend shale)
or screws, nails, thumbnails aka tacks, or thorns is PF land.

* * Chas wrote:

> Nope, got it from friend in Manchester.... but I'll spot you a pint of
> bitters if you ever get over this way (SF Bay Area).

That would a) put you under the table & b) taste terrible [1]

On the subject of language differences and to bring this back onto topic
for a moment I was wondering if what we have here is a geological equal
to the pavement issue. I.e. over here in Rightpondia, the term "flint"
refers to a specific type of stone and over there in Leftpondia it is a
generic term. Of course I could be spouting drivel and we are all
talking about the same stuff.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitters

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Wit levels low. Attempting to compensate.

Tony Raven wrote:

> I told you they were strange in Norfolk
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/6091832.stm
>
> But at least semolina won't puncture your tyres.

It would be a bugger to ride through though.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"To communicate with Mars, converse with spirits, To report the
behaviour of the sea monster, Describe the horoscope, haruspicate or
scry, Observe disease in signatures." (T.S.Eliot)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:23:27 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Okay, let's try it with an average tire, one of mine.

>Do you routinely find it a good thing to ride around on 700 x 26 tires
>inflated to 30 psi? This is another one of your absurd, orthogonal red
>herrings. The discussion would be furthered by sticking to normal
>operating conditions instead of being hindered by your tendency for
>whittering on about strange special cases that provide little
>information that can be generalized to normal use.

Dear Tim,

Er, you're "whittering."

Jobst is the one who specified 30 psi, not me. Look at the posts that
you snipped.

So please blame Jobst for the absurd, orthogonal red herrings
concerning 30 psi, not me.

Then please see the post that I'm about to make in this thread about
that nail, which fails to puncture that tire at 100 psi, but punctures
it at 110 psi--without puncturing the inner tube.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

* * Chas wrote on 27/10/2006 19:03 +0100:

> Nope, got it from friend in Manchester.... but I'll spot you a pint of
> bitters if you ever get over this way (SF Bay Area).

I used to go there monthly but I've now hung up my Frequent Flyer card.
There's some interesting beers in the microbreweries but I wasn't so
sure about the Pale Ale that one owner was very keen that I tried in a
Brewpub on 4th in San Rafael on my way back from riding up in the hills.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

"Don Whybrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> >
> > Nope, got it from friend in Manchester.... but I'll spot you a pint

of
> > bitters if you ever get over this way (SF Bay Area).

> That would a) put you under the table & b) taste terrible [1]
>
> On the subject of language differences and to bring this back onto

topic
> for a moment I was wondering if what we have here is a geological

equal
> to the pavement issue. I.e. over here in Rightpondia, the term "flint"
> refers to a specific type of stone and over there in Leftpondia it is

> generic term. Of course I could be spouting drivel and we are all
> talking about the same stuff.
>

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitters
>
> --
> Don Whybrow
>
> Sequi Bonum Non Time
>
> Wit levels low. Attempting to compensate.

Choke! Gag! I stand or lay down corrected. Many of the brew pups in the
states refer to "bitter" versus "bitter".

Flint as far as I've used the term is usually found as inclusions in
limestone rocks however, Zippo brand cigarette lighters use a small
cylindrical metallic? object for creating a spark to light the flame
that they call "flints".

Chas.

On 27 Oct 2006 18:50:28 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
>On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>> > My punctures have all been thorns, glass,
>> > various bits of metal and pieces of wood.

>> I've just remembered my puncture log. It lists details of my last 74
>> punctures (I've been keeping it since March 2003).

>Wow. My puncture log since the start of 2003 would be, errm, five.
>Three in the front left, two in the rear wheel. Both the rears
>were within the last month, which I interpret as an indication that
>the tyre has worn sufficiently that it needs replacement.
>None in bikes. None in unicycles. (But I do probably 50 times as much
>mileage on the trice than either bikes or unicycle.)
>
>The most recent puncture was a thorn, the previous was glass. One of
>the others was glass (I remember because it was quite a big bit and
>was a pain to extract from the tyre). I don't recall what the others
>were.
>
>regards, Ian SMith

Dear Ian,

Like me, Danny probably rides in unusually puncture-prone areas.

I've had fifteen flats in my last 60 fifteen-mile rides, all on what
we in the US call pavement, meaning asphalt and concrete roads and
bicycle paths, most from annoying little goathead thorns.

Starting from a block away, but riding in town instead of heading out
up the Arkansas River, I recall only a single flat in my entire
boyhood of bicycling a few miles back and forth every day to school.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:23:08 GMT, Mike Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave Larrington wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> An Audax ride in southern England is . . . ?

>> A brevet organised under the auspices of Audax UK:
>>
>> <URL:http://www.audax.uk.net/>
>>

>It's some kind of endurance test for the lycra-clad.
>
>> Draw a line on a map of the BRITONS' England from the Bristol Channel in the

>erm the Britons call that part Lloegr.
>
>> south-west to The Wash in the north-east. Most areas to the south-east of
>> this line will have more than their fair share of flints and similar strewn
>> about the place by She Who Must Not Be Named.

>http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/jpg/ukmap8.jpg
>for all your Great Britain geological needs (i.e British Isles with
>Ireland left out; probably for political reasons [OK, and Shetland])
>
>Those measures with the names Limestone, or Oolite are potentially flint
>bearing, as they were deposited when the land was under water (Or are
>you left-pondians still having trouble with Bible v. Science?)
>

>http://geology.about.com/library/bl/maps/n_map_usa48geo.htm
>is pretty, but there's no indication of what the colours represent!
>
>But what's wrong with shale eh?

Dear Mike and Dave,

Thanks, Mike's geological map shows Dave's line from the Bristol
Channel to the Wash nicely:

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/jpg/ukmap8.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> Tony Raven wrote on 27/10/2006 10:05 +0100:
> >
> > Helen of this parish notes that flints embedded in tyres are common

in
> > her locality but strange things happen in Norfolk because local lady
> > cyclists dance nekkid round their willow trees uttering

incantations -
> > and because it's Norfolk.
> >

> I told you they were strange in Norfolk
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/6091832.stm
>
> But at least semolina won't puncture your tyres.
>
> --
> Tony

But what of semolina pilchard.....

Chas.

On 26 Oct 2006 12:47:13 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Over in rec.bicycles.tech, Jobst Brandt argues that flint flats are
>just a myth:
>
>"I keep hearing about these mysterious cherts [flints] yet have never
>seen one on the road or in a tire. I ride many miles of rocky roads
>here and in Europe and have not had a flat from these mysterious sharp
>rocks that don't seem to cut car tires or we could find examples of
>them embedded in the surface of car tires."
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/97f538aa81f0f1ed
>
>Primitive superstitions about flints still flourish in the UK and
>Denmark, so I'm asking for your views on the matter, somewhat like a
>sociologist asking about the Loch Ness monster.
>
>Any pictures of flints in tires and tubes would be interesting, even
>though they must be obvious fakes.
>
>(Alas, the nearby sand and gravel pit closed a few years ago, so I'm no
>longer able to photograph the flint flats whose existence Jobst
>denies.)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

Prompted by Jobst's shoot-from-the-hip claims elsewhere in this
thread, I pumped a smooth, worn Kevlar-belt 700x26 tire up from 30 psi
to 110 psi at 10 psi increments and rolled it over a nail sticking up
from a vise.

(Pictures below.)

Nothing happened until the tire pressure reached 100 psi.

At that pressure, the nail audibly penetrated into the tread, leaving
a hole and making a little popping noise--but the tire didn't go flat.

I stopped rolling various sections of the tire over the nail at 100
psi after only half a dozen popping noises, which showed considerable
maturity and restraint.

(Try to stop popping after only six bubble-wrap bubbles.)

At 110 psi, ten psi higher, the pop seemed louder when I rolled the
tire over the nail--but the tire still stubbornly held air.

Suspicious, I took the tire off the rim and looked at the inside of
the tire and the inner tube.

Aha! No penetration at 100 psi, but a hole all the way through the
tire at 110 psi, plus a faint little circular scrape and tiny dent on
the inner tube.

As the pressure increased, the nail dimpled the tire and inner tube
until it broke through the tread at 100 psi and then through the
hidden Kevlar belt at 110 psi.

After it broke through, the nail pushed the stretchy inner tube off
the inside of the tire, and started making a new dimple in the inner
tube.

Two points are illustrated.

First, tires at lower pressures obviously resist punctures by reducing
how hard the debris can push against the tire. Lower tire pressures
have been recommended by Danish riders, whose pavement seems to
provide a lot of rock chip or flint flats:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/5f7c729c68b72204

A drop from 110 psi to 100 psi stopped a short section of an ordinary
nail, roughly similar to a small rock chip or flint, from penetrating.

Of course, some debris is so sharp and so tall that it will focus
enough force in a small enough area to penetrate a tire at any
reasonable pressure. For example, the needle-like tip of a goathead
thorn will go through the same tire at only ten psi. But my fairly
sharp nail tip failed to break through the tire until the air pressure
reached 110 psi over the dimple that the nail made in the tire.

Second, some objects can puncture tires without puncturing the inner
tube.

A shorter but similarly sharp object that stopped without puncturing
the tube, such as a rock chip, would still have eventually worn a hole
in the inner tube and caused a flat.

This unexpected behavior makes an interesting case for the
often-maligned tire-saver theory that some kinds of embedded debris
can be removed before they cause a flat. Most debris goes right
through the tire and tube immediately, so there may be little
practical use for scraping debris off tires or digging it out of the
tread, but some kinds of debris must end up behaving like the nail.

Four pictures follow.

Here's the nail sticking up about 6 mm from the vise:

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=334a_110psi_setup.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/wrm78

Here's the outside of the tire and the exposed inner tube. Blunt
toothpicks are stuck in the holes made by the nail at 110 psi on the
left and 100 psi on the right. A third toothpick points to where the
inner tube shows a faint mark from the nail that penetrated the tire
at 110 psi:

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=331a_110psi_penetrates.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/ssc8k

Here's the inside of the tire. One toothpick is visible where the nail
penetrated at 110 psi. The second toothpick can't be seen, since the
100 psi hole in the tread didn't go all the way through the Kevlar
belt. The inner tube mark is out-of-focus, but shown by a third
toothpick:

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=332a_110psi_penetrates.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/y7bmnx

Here's a slightly better picture of the inner tube mark. It's just a
very faint circular scraped area around a tiny dent that shows up as a
black shadowed area, not quite as wide as the end of the blunt
toothpick:

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=333a_110psi_mark_on_tube.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/y2ngj3

For those curious about such simple tests, far more time was spent
fiddling with the camera and bashing the keyboard than clamping a nail
in a vise, pumping an old tire up, and imitating an Iron Maiden. The
actual testing took about fifteen minutes.

It never occurred to me that the inner tube would behave like this,
which is why I like fooling around with such simple tests--I was
annoyed when the nail seemed to puncture the tire, but the tire
refused to go flat.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

* * Chas wrote:
> "Don Whybrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>On the subject of language differences and to bring this back onto

> topic
>
>>for a moment I was wondering if what we have here is a geological

> equal
>
>>to the pavement issue. I.e. over here in Rightpondia, the term "flint"
>>refers to a specific type of stone and over there in Leftpondia it is

>>generic term. Of course I could be spouting drivel and we are all
>>talking about the same stuff.
>>

> Flint as far as I've used the term is usually found as inclusions in
> limestone rocks however, Zippo brand cigarette lighters use a small
> cylindrical metallic? object for creating a spark to light the flame
> that they call "flints".

Ah! That is that theory down the drain then, it is the same stuff.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

The media finally figured out that their "paying customers" (i.e.
advertisers) don't WANT an intelligent, thoughtful audience. And they
no longer have one." (Rich Tietjens)

Mike Jones wrote:

> Mind you *shopping* on the Sabbath is limited to 8 hours at the most!
> (again both E&W, dunno 'bout Scotland).

If you are in an area dominated by the Wee Free [1] you could find all
sorts of curtailments. Particularly in the Outer Hebrides.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Church_of_Scotland

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time