flip over stem?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Frank, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I've got a deda magic bar/stem and recently switched to look pedals from speedplay, which
    necessitated a higher seat. There isn't any more room on the steerer to raise the stem so now the
    bars are a bit low. Since the stem is now at 80 degrees, is there any reason I can't just turn it
    over and get a 10 degree rise? seems logical but I just want to make sure there wouldn't be any
    issues...thanks in advance!

    by the way, I was in hamilton last weekend, the racing was great! I even got some pics of
    the devil...

    peace Frank

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > I've got a deda magic bar/stem and recently switched to look pedals from speedplay, which
    > necessitated a higher seat. There isn't any more room on the steerer to raise the stem so now the
    > bars are a bit low. Since the stem is now at 80 degrees, is there any reason I can't just turn it
    > over and get a 10 degree rise?

    I don't think so - except the reach and rise may be too different. You may need to put spacers above
    stem. It's worth fine tuning with 2mm spacers (combined with 5 & 10mm if necessary).

    I use a Deda Zero stem "upside down" - works well with no problems. The graphics even look ok the
    wrong way up :)

    ~PB

  3. I was in Hamilton too! We went there from Windsor... We watched mainly from the beginning of the
    last downhill, right where they come out of that woody area. Just across from where the big accident
    happened..

    Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

    "Frank" <[email protected] NOSPAM tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a deda magic bar/stem and recently switched to look pedals from speedplay, which
    > necessitated a higher seat. There isn't any more room on the steerer to raise the stem so now the
    > bars are a bit low. Since the
    stem
    > is now at 80 degrees, is there any reason I can't just turn it over and
    get
    > a 10 degree rise? seems logical but I just want to make sure there
    wouldn't
    > be any issues...thanks in advance!
    >
    > by the way, I was in hamilton last weekend, the racing was great! I even got some pics of the
    > devil...
    >
    > peace Frank

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Frank wrote:

    > > I've got a deda magic bar/stem and recently switched to look pedals from speedplay, which
    > > necessitated a higher seat. There isn't any more room on the steerer to raise the stem so now
    > > the bars are a bit low. Since the stem is now at 80 degrees, is there any reason I can't just
    > > turn it over and get a 10 degree rise?

    > I don't think so - except the reach and rise may be too different. You may need to put spacers
    > above stem. It's worth fine tuning with 2mm spacers (combined with 5 & 10mm if necessary).

    The reason these stems have that amount of rise is so you can do exactly that -- make rough
    adjustments by flipping the stem over, and finer ones with the shims.

    Don't worry about the reach -- the difference between a few degrees up and a few degrees down is
    just a few mm, which you probably won't feel at all. And even if you can feel it, it probably won't
    make a difference.

    > I use a Deda Zero stem "upside down" - works well with no problems. The graphics even look ok the
    > wrong way up :)

    Some stems even have graphics both ways.

    Matt O.