Flipping Stem?

rdr0912

May 11, 2007
When I bought my bike and fitted early this past winter/late fall, they said that eventually I could flip my stem. I'm not sure of the exact rise/angle that it is off the top of my head (whatever comes stock on a Scott s-20), but right not it is angled up. When do I know if I should turn it over so it angles down so I get in slightly more of an aero position I guess?
Thanks in advance for any pointers

Grasshopper, you alone will know when it is time.

Go ahead and flip it over and see if you like the new more agressive position. It will put you lower and a bit more forward.

rdr0912 said:
When I bought my bike and fitted early this past winter/late fall, they said that eventually I could flip my stem. I'm not sure of the exact rise/angle that it is off the top of my head (whatever comes stock on a Scott s-20), but right not it is angled up. When do I know if I should turn it over so it angles down so I get in slightly more of an aero position I guess?
Basically you are a laughing stock if your stem isnt flipped IMO. ;) Guys like me would never even speak to you. Others might but I wouldnt. :p Guys who buy expensive road bike frames and then ride it like a tourer ought to be shot on sight.

Its ok if you havent flipped it yet but dont wait too long. Find a stem with a less agressive angle so that when its flipped it doesnt have you licking your top cap. Then go from there.

If all your spacers are under your stem ATM moving one of those will most likely lower the bars a lesser distance than flipping would.
I have 3 X 5mm spacers & a 6 deg 110mm stem. I think flipping made around 14mm difference. 5mms at a time would be the way to go IMO :)

existence said:
it doesnt have you licking your top cap
What do you mean by this?

My stem is not that aggressive of an angle...maybe a few degrees at most, that's why I'm not sure what kind of difference it would make. I will check to see if there are any spacers on there first before I flip it. On my ride this morning I did a fair amount of climbing and I specifically paid attention to where I was comfortable WRT the handlebar. I found that even on relativly steep climbs I was on the brake hoods the majority of the time. When I was on the flat part of the bar, I felt like I was sitting straight up and acting like a huge sail slowing me down (even if it was only 9-11 mph lol).
Opinions? Comments???

Thanks!

Note that if your stem angle is 6, the difference after the flip going to be 12. You should feel the difference.

ttopaz said:
Note that if your stem angle is 6, the difference after the flip going to be 12. You should feel the difference.
I will look into what stem I have and what kind of rise it has and also if there are any spacers today since I don't have anything to do.
Thanks

Very easy: there are 2 stem positions, one had the handlebar very high, the other has the handlebar low. Use that one with the handlebar low, without asking.

rdr0912 said:
It's not a given that you should flip your stem. How long can you ride on the drops at present? If the answer is not "as long as I like", then flipping may be premature.
My bars are 5" lower than my seat even with the stem up. I'm sure not going to flip it.

rdr0912 said:

My stem is not that aggressive of an angle...maybe a few degrees at most, that's why I'm not sure what kind of difference it would make. I will check to see if there are any spacers on there first before I flip it. On my ride this morning I did a fair amount of climbing and I specifically paid attention to where I was comfortable WRT the handlebar. I found that even on relativly steep climbs I was on the brake hoods the majority of the time. When I was on the flat part of the bar, I felt like I was sitting straight up and acting like a huge sail slowing me down (even if it was only 9-11 mph lol).
Opinions? Comments???

Thanks!
Like others said (those who weren't joking anyway), just flip it over, ride for a few times and decide whether you like it. Don't make the judgement during the first ride because it is something you need to adjust to it, might like it after a few times even if it feels uncomfortable at first.

IT's a very easy procedure. If you don't know anything about tightening the headset bearings, you might just bring it to the shop you bought the bike at and ask them to flip it. IT takes about 2 minutes and I'd bet they'll just do it while you stand there and watch. If you want to do it yourself, go to the parktool website and look at their instructions on adjusting the head set bearings. For a newby, it will take 5 minutes instead of 2 minutes - From my personal experience in both categories.

rdr0912 said:

Opinions? Comments???

Thanks!
Like others said (those who weren't joking anyway), just flip it over, ride for a few times and decide whether you like it. Don't make the judgement during the first ride because it is something you need to adjust to it, might like it after a few times even if it feels uncomfortable at first.

IT's a very easy procedure. If you don't know anything about tightening the headset bearings, you might just bring it to the shop you bought the bike at and ask them to flip it. IT takes about 2 minutes and I'd bet they'll just do it while you stand there and watch. If you want to do it yourself, go to the parktool website and look at their instructions on adjusting the head set bearings. For a newby, it will take 5 minutes instead of 2 minutes - From my personal experience in both categories.

I had to google what flipping the stem meant. I guess my bike is sooo old school i didn't realize what you meant.

I like having my stem flipped on a regular basis.I would have it flipped more if I could talk my wife into it. :rolleyes: