flipping weather

davek

Guest
Why? That's what I want to know, why the muddy flip it's being warm and
sunny /now/, but threatening to **** down all weekend - the same
weekend I've got my first attempt at a 400 lined up...

pah!

d.

"davek" <[email protected]> writes:

>Why? That's what I want to know, why the muddy flip it's being warm and
>sunny /now/, but threatening to **** down all weekend - the same
>weekend I've got my first attempt at a 400 lined up...

My prediction is that the fine weather will last here until 16 may 11 am,
when I finish my last exam...

Roos

In article <[email protected]>, davek
([email protected]) wrote:
> Why? That's what I want to know, why the muddy flip it's being warm and
> sunny /now/, but threatening to **** down all weekend - the same
> weekend I've got my first attempt at a 400 lined up...

Try uk.weather.com - their forecast is better. Still "showers" but not
the torrential wossnames forecast elsewhere. Worked for me on the Upper
Thames last year.

Drugs are good, except when they kill you.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Try uk.weather.com - their forecast is better. Still "showers" but not
> the torrential wossnames forecast elsewhere. Worked for me on the Upper
> Thames last year.

The variety you can get surfing around is very handy. You can often
choose any weather you want, thus enabling one to justify either staying
in or going out as convenient.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
([email protected]) wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
> > Try uk.weather.com - their forecast is better. Still "showers" but not
> > the torrential wossnames forecast elsewhere. Worked for me on the Upper
> > Thames last year.

> The variety you can get surfing around is very handy. You can often
> choose any weather you want, thus enabling one to justify either staying
> in or going out as convenient.

Even if the weather would make sane people stay in, this'll be the third
part of a National Series SR. DNS is not an option...

It is not possible to call a complex number from a phone box.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Try uk.weather.com - their forecast is better. Still "showers" but not
> the torrential wossnames forecast elsewhere.

Yeah, that's better, but can anyone point me to a forecast that says it
will be dry and sunny, please? ;-)

d.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Even if the weather would make sane people stay in, this'll be the third
> part of a National Series SR. DNS is not an option...

Please don't remind me that I packed on the only National Series 300 I
had any chance of riding. <gnashes teeth>

d.

In article <[email protected]>,
davek ([email protected]) wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
> > Try uk.weather.com - their forecast is better. Still "showers" but not
> > the torrential wossnames forecast elsewhere.

> Yeah, that's better, but can anyone point me to a forecast that says it
> will be dry and sunny, please? ;-)

I expect so, just not for Kent and Sussex this weekend.

Next question: apart from meeting MartinM in El Supremo mode, why do
They send us on a detour to Highbrook when staying on the B2028 through
Ardingly seems to be both shorter AND less Scenic? Do the natives of
Ardingly eat cyclists or something?

My other motto is in Latin.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> davek ([email protected]) wrote:
> > Dave Larrington wrote:
> > > Try uk.weather.com - their forecast is better. Still "showers" but not
> > > the torrential wossnames forecast elsewhere.

> > Yeah, that's better, but can anyone point me to a forecast that says it
> > will be dry and sunny, please? ;-)

> I expect so, just not for Kent and Sussex this weekend.
>
> Next question: apart from meeting MartinM in El Supremo mode, why do
> They send us on a detour to Highbrook when staying on the B2028 through
> Ardingly seems to be both shorter AND less Scenic? Do the natives of
> Ardingly eat cyclists or something?

shoot them more like.

the B2028 is horrible at the best of times, even more so at dusk; it
used to be a favourite ton-up spot in the days of Nortn Commandos, so
probably now a TGV beating section on a Zazozuzi GDFXR 2000. Highbrook
is idyllic, you may actually between you all double the amount of
traffic for the week.

MartinM wrote:

> > Next question: apart from meeting MartinM in El Supremo mode,

speaking of which; does the great man put in an appearance? wouldn't be
an AUK event without Dave's flashing lit eatery in the middle of a dark
lane somewhere.

MartinM wrote:
> speaking of which; does the great man put in an appearance?

No mention of him on the routesheet, and none of the controls seem to
be likely spots for him to park his van, so probably not.

d.

davek wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>> Try uk.weather.com - their forecast is better. Still "showers" but not
>> the torrential wossnames forecast elsewhere.

> Yeah, that's better, but can anyone point me to a forecast that says it
> will be dry and sunny, please? ;-)

Dry and sunny in the Ogwen Valley would be excellent.

davek wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > speaking of which; does the great man put in an appearance?

> No mention of him on the routesheet, and none of the controls seem to
> be likely spots for him to park his van, so probably not.

if you can get a car down it he can park there.

oh well; will just have to go and get some Lidl Stollen, and in true
Invicta style I shall sit guzzling Chianti (1) and Harveys (2) as you
drink your tea ;-)
(1) Chichester on the 400 in 2002
(2) Underriver on the Grimpeur

MartinM wrote:
> if you can get a car down it he can park there.

It's not that so much as the nature of the locations - motorway
services, tesco car parks, etc - which don't seem like the kind of
places El Supremo would frequent.

> (2) Underriver on the Grimpeur

I remember that. IIRC Rob had crashed a wedding reception at the church
over the road from the control point and was being liberally plied with
free BEER while we all suffered.

d.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Next question: apart from meeting MartinM in El Supremo mode, why do
> They send us on a detour to Highbrook when staying on the B2028 through
> Ardingly seems to be both shorter AND less Scenic? Do the natives of
> Ardingly eat cyclists or something?

Its curious how detours on long distance rides become frustrating like
that but when you think about it, it shouldn't make a difference. You
are deliberately setting out to ride lots of miles so whether they are
built into a detour or an extension at the end really doesn't matter.
If you want a shorter distance its a shorter ride you need ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

davek wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > if you can get a car down it he can park there.

> It's not that so much as the nature of the locations - motorway
> services, tesco car parks, etc - which don't seem like the kind of
> places El Supremo would frequent.
>
> > (2) Underriver on the Grimpeur

> I remember that. IIRC Rob had crashed a wedding reception at the church
> over the road from the control point and was being liberally plied with
> free BEER while we all suffered.

and when I threatened to report him to the the European Court of Human
Rights he merely said that I was perfectly at liberty to go and buy a
pint.....
before One Tree Hill

Tony Raven wrote:
> Its curious how detours on long distance rides become frustrating like
> that but when you think about it, it shouldn't make a difference.

Depends on what /type/ of long-distance ride you are doing - it most
certainly does make a difference on Audax rides because all these loops
and diversions create the necessity for more control points.

This particular ride, the Invicta 400, has 14 controls, including a good
number of information controls - one of which comes only 4km into the
ride. That's a fairly high number of controls for the distance and
suggests a route that hasn't been planned too carefully. (Compare the
Invicta 300, which has just 6 controls.)

It also makes the routesheet much longer and more convoluted - and
therefore harder to follow. (Compare the Dean 300 on which you
occasionally go for 14km between instructions.)

I wouldn't mind so much if it were a "classic" route with great scenery
(that's scenery with a small s) but it seems to include large stretches
of busy main road and goes straight through the middle of Maidstone town
centre, which is a rough place at the best of times - I dread to think
what it will be like late on Saturday night...

And before you chide me for entering such a ride, I entered it based on
the expectation that it would be using the same route as previous years,
which was /completely/ different!

Maybe it won't turn out to be so bad, but I do kind of wish I'd entered
the Severn Across 400 instead. We'll see...

Anyway, must go and get on with preparing - I need to set off for the
start about an hour from now. Hardly slept at all - feeling just a wee
bit anxious...

Martin, see you probably some time in the region of 9-10pm (unless it's
raining heavily by then, in which case I would expect you to be doing
the sensible thing and staying at home instead).

d.

davek wrote:

> Maybe it won't turn out to be so bad, but I do kind of wish I'd entered
> the Severn Across 400 instead. We'll see...

perhaps the weather will vindicate my choice of that ride too;
re the route; you are getting a broadly similar but of scenery with a
small s thru Sussex; but the classic out and back to Winchester would
have been better and will probably be my 2007 400

> Martin, see you probably some time in the region of 9-10pm (unless it's
> raining heavily by then, in which case I would expect you to be doing
> the sensible thing and staying at home instead).

not I, us AUK organisers are made of sterner stuff ;-)

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why? That's what I want to know, why the muddy flip it's being warm and
> sunny /now/, but threatening to **** down all weekend - the same
> weekend I've got my first attempt at a 400 lined up...
>
> pah!
>
> d.

It's because today I decided to use the bike instead of the car to do the
ten mile round trip to get the weeks food shopping.

I was impressed at how much capacity my panniers had.

Adam

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote:
| It's because today I decided to use the bike instead of the car to do the
| ten mile round trip to get the weeks food shopping.
|
| I was impressed at how much capacity my panniers had.

I remember when I used to be able to do the Big Shop with just the two
rear panniers. After all, how often do you buy more than 72l of stuff
in one go? But that was when I was a carefree flat-dwelling batchelor.
How things change (mutter)! As the volume crept up I got warier and
warier, and started carrying a 60l pair of front bags (or rather, a
60l pair of bags which I foolishly carry on the front) which often came
back from the market empty. I was starting to worry about what I would
have to do when I got close to filling all four bags, but presumably by
then the child trailer will be empty, and at the present rate of growth
that should carry everything until I need someone else to pedal the
hearse for me.