Float in cleats?

OhWorddddd

Nov 12, 2010
Do you guys ride with cleats that have any float?

I'm riding Keo 2 Max pedals with the stock cleats, which i believe have 4.5 degrees of float. i dont exactly like the little play in the pedals especially when i'm out of the saddle. Do any of u guys ride with 0 deg float? Hows that change the riding feel when changing from 4.5 deg float?

I use even more float than you do, but my knees can't handle any less. I know what your mean about feeling uncomfortable with the play when sprinting/climbing. I have gotten used to it, but if it starts to get to my head, like before a race with an uphill finish, I tighten down the tension on my pedals a bit to remind myself that I am not coming out of them. However, if your knees can handle zero float, then go with it.

Originally Posted by CalicoCat .

I use even more float than you do, but my knees can't handle any less. I know what your mean about feeling uncomfortable with the play when sprinting/climbing. I have gotten used to it, but if it starts to get to my head, like before a race with an uphill finish, I tighten down the tension on my pedals a bit to remind myself that I am not coming out of them. However, if your knees can handle zero float, then go with it.

if i feel no knee pain currently with my keo grey cleats w/ 4.5 deg float, would it be safe to way theres a good chance 0 deg of float with work for me also?

Originally Posted by OhWorddddd .

Do you guys ride with cleats that have any float?

I'm riding Keo 2 Max pedals with the stock cleats, which i believe have 4.5 degrees of float. i dont exactly like the little play in the pedals especially when i'm out of the saddle. Do any of u guys ride with 0 deg float? Hows that change the riding feel when changing from 4.5 deg float?
If you have the red cleats it is 9 deg, of float, the grey are 4.5 deg and the black are 0.
I use the grey and the float does not bother me.

Originally Posted by OhWorddddd .

Quote: Originally Posted by CalicoCat .

if i feel no knee pain currently with my keo grey cleats w/ 4.5 deg float, would it be safe to way theres a good chance 0 deg of float with work for me also?

I think you'll just have to try the 0 degree float cleats to find out how they will work for you.

I agree. only one way to find out if 0 float will work for you. from my personal experience along with all my cycling buddies. we all ride with float.

for me....i can definitely say that float has saved my knees from much pain. I used to ride with some old Sampson clipless pedals circa- late 80's. and they killed my knees. a quick swap to Look pedals with the red cleats instantly cured that problem.

good luck

Rode for years on the fixed-cleat Looks before switching to Speedplays, the only pedal I know with "free float", ie, no spring-centering and effectively no stops to hit while pedaling. The first few rides, recall the feeling of "stepping on icecubes", and how it was scary to get out of the saddle. I trusted buddies who had them and told me I'd never clip-out unintentionally, but it seemed "muscle memory" made me skiddish. The insecure feeling took a few hours to go away, particularly on standing climbs and sprints.

Seems logical to me that free-float would be safer for the knees than fixed-cleats, but don't know if that notion has ever been researched or tested.

I use the grey cleats. I dont feel like I am sliding around when I am out of the saddle. How long have you been using these pedals? Is the rubber gripper installed in the cleat? Before you go out and buy more cleats you should give it a little time. You just may need to become a little more confident with being clipped in.

something that bothers me more than controlled float is the unwanted vertical "float" - even if its minimal - natural cleat or pedal wear makes it happen

That's might be true for sure.

Originally Posted by vspa .

something that bothers me more than controlled float is the unwanted vertical "float" - even if its minimal - natural cleat or pedal wear makes it happen