floating pedals

zachary00

Aug 13, 2004
I have seen a lot of people mention floating pedals, but I can't figure out what they are. So what are they? I would also like to find some information in a SCIENTIFIC journal in regards to the increased power and biomechanics of various styles of pedals. I would like to do a masters thesis on this subject if it has not been done to extensivly yet, so it has to be scientific. Please let me know if you have any information or know of any links.

They're just pedals that don't lock your foot into one postion but allow it to "float", usually around an axis that's vertical, through the center of the pedal platform. Look, SPD, Time, Speedplay all have various degrees of float freedom.

Dean

zachary00 said:
I have seen a lot of people mention floating pedals, but I can't figure out what they are. So what are they? I would also like to find some information in a SCIENTIFIC journal in regards to the increased power and biomechanics of various styles of pedals. I would like to do a masters thesis on this subject if it has not been done to extensivly yet, so it has to be scientific. Please let me know if you have any information or know of any links.
Hmmm... well, if you're looking for journal articles describing the biomechanical effects of float, I can't help you. There's probably a trainer or therapist hanging around these threads that can.

The first part of your post, though ("what is a floating pedal?") doesn't require a scientific journal entry to address. Float is the industry term for controlled movement allowed by a pedal system once a foot is clipped in. In most systems, it's an arc of rotational movement; imagine the heel pivoting left or right, with a point on the pedal or cleat as the pivot (generally under the ball of the foot). Often, it's tensioned movement -- the foot rotates against a spring or other source of resistance. With a few models (notably Speedplay), the movement is untensioned, or free. In nearly all models, twisting the heel in a particular direction completely through the float releases the mechanism, and frees the foot.

A few models offer additional dimensions of float -- some higher end pedals from Time, for instance, offer a little bit of lateral movement.

In all systems, the intention is to grant the cyclist an ergonomic benefit. While some folks still prefer fixed pedals, most feel that a little float takes a lot off of the knees.