floating vs fixed cleats - advice please

meatman

Jun 30, 2007
I have a pair of Shimano road shoes with SPD-SL cleats with the 6-9 degree range. I've had them for about a year and the last month or so the left cleat seems to have too much "play". ie my right shoe stays in line with the cranks throughout the pedal stroke - but lately my left foot seems to be wobbling sometimes and hitting the crank arm intermittently. I looked at the left cleat and there is a small scratch where it clips into the pedal.

I have 2 questions for those who are more experienced then me -

1/ could this mean I need new cleats as the left one is now too loose - I've tightened the adjuster on the pedal but that only makes it harder to clip in and out - but does nothing to limit the side to side movement?? or maybe am I pedalling different with my left leg ??

2/ if I do need new ones - the side to side movement of my left cleat is really annoying - should I go for fixed cleats ?? I've heard they "stuff up your knees" though ?!?!?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

When I stop I typically unclip my left foot much more than my right. After a few months of this my left cleat starts to feel more loose than the right which I always attribute to the extra in and out use. New replacement cleats solves the problem for me.

I would also think that it is likely a problem with the cleats. I would just replace them. I had Shimano pedals until about a month ago and I did notice that after riding with them a bit they did gain more play. I just blamed it on wear. I also think that if you are going to a zero play cleat it is more stressful on your knees and I would definately talk to a bike shop guy before doing that.

I don't see the problem.

I have quite a lot of out turn in my left leg.....if I didn't have lots of float I wouldn't be able to ride. If your leg is "wobbling", it's because that's what it wants to do naturally. Why force it into a position that it may not be comfortable with?

The cleats are cheap - try replacing the affected side. Also have a look at the plastic pad on the pedal, they need replacing when they compress/wear down to the alloy.
I couldn't imagine using the fixed cleats, and I wouldn't recommend them. However, they must suit some people.