Flogging a Dead Horse

charliechops

Oct 5, 2005
I know its been said before...but why oh why do roadies have to have all the attitude on the road.I doesn't hurt to say," goodmorning" or respond to a wave with a wave, instead of a don't look at me glare.Or, I got a better bike than you school yard bulls***.I have been riding both MTB and road Bikes for six years and can honestly say that full time roadies may need to take some MTB manners, as MTBers 99% of the time will always say a hello or respond.I not saying all roadies are bad or rude just 99% of them.

Sometimes it's hard to know when they nod, as opposed to just stare. Sometimes there is the breathless word, but you can't really hear that.

Still, I'm the first one to wave - and I'm MTB mounted

Whenever I wave just about everyone waves back. It seems to be people with no helmet and who don't look comfortable on the bike who don't wave back or acknowledge you.

Having said that cycling seems to be partly a loner activity. You can do a lot of riding by yourself. This may mean that it attracts more than its fair share of anti social types who just aren't that friendly.

Cheers

mogulhead said:
Whenever I wave just about everyone waves back. It seems to be people with no helmet and who don't look comfortable on the bike who don't wave back or acknowledge you.
Cheers
Maybe you guys live in a serious place? I have been amazed how most happily wave and say hello. (OK, so waving first helps...) Some of the walkers I see regularly on my commute to work are less friendly, but I find after a week or so they give in as well!

Conversely if you yell '******' you'll quite easily get a reply of 'F**k off'!!

Maybe if you want some kind of reply you should change your tactic... ;)

You are not from Brisbane I take it?

It's sad but true.And If your honest with ya self you know it's true.Trust me every tatic in the book has been tried and tested.Are you part of the 1% of wavers? If so, keep up the good work and work on those other up tight *****.

charliechops said:
You are not from Brisbane I take it?

It's sad but true.And If your honest with ya self you know it's true.Trust me every tatic in the book has been tried and tested.Are you part of the 1% of wavers? If so, keep up the good work and work on those other up tight *****.
I'm a road bike rider in Tasmania. Here there is a small wave, usually with a raised finger or the 'knowing nod'. But I'm usually the one to instigate.

Road riders will reply about 70% of the time but there is no communication between Road MTBers and Roadies. It's just not the done thing I suppose.

Hmmm, it's not purely a roadie behaviour. Many sub tribes of the cycling world are equally as snotty. Here's something I recall from several years back: Waving Wednesdays

Waving Wednesdays
ARC encourages good karma between cyclists everywhere by promoting friendly waves when you see another cyclist all day on Wednesdays during Bike Week. Note: Popularity of this program may expand to Wavey Weekends.

There was also idle chatter about "Thumbs-up Thursdays"..... :eek:

Unfortunately, some people are just rude/anti-social/stupid. Maybe those of us who ride or who have ridden a variety of bikes are a bit more friendly?

Maybe I should make a special effort to wave or 'nod' to all riders - Road, MTB, whatever.

Maybe we should all do it as an experiment and also an exercise in personal development.

That's it!! When this bloody flu is gone I'm gonna do it, just to be a better person. :)

This morning as I rode my road bike to work I nodded and finger-lifted at an MTB commuter as he went past in the opposite direction. We made eye contact but there was no change in the grumpy scowl on his face, nor any return of the greeting.
Bloody MTB riders! :mad:
Maybe it's just Sydney.

Take the step and tell your friends to put on that happy face:) and show the pointing finger ( not the middle one), and say hellos and raise hands in a global awareness campaign an stamp out the road terriorists.Together we can overcome and win.....I can't do it alone.Come join me...Say " i " And if it doesn't work...well we shall never speak of it again.

I love this topic.

I am very new to cycling. My interaction with other cyclists so far has been with some of the "no helmet brigade" saying "nice bike, is it new" to which i have to try not to sound like a ****** and admit i've only been ring a week. The couple of roadies I have encountered give a nod, perhaps they can't quite figure me out. When I get a bit fitter and stop gasping for breath i might be able to have a conversation.
I also think i am getting the respect of both sides roadie v mtb as i ride a hybrid comfort bike. Maybe not but I haven't been laughed at yet!

"I not saying all roadies are bad or rude just 99% of them.":confused:

Maybe its you Chops.

Come to Perth. We all say hello in one way or another.

Skull said:
"I not saying all roadies are bad or rude just 99% of them.":confused:

Maybe its you Chops.

Come to Perth. We all say hello in one way or another.
I didn't get the nickname 'CHOPS' for no reason....something about always smiling and being friendly.Would love to come to Perth..bit of a ride for a weekend.Maybe save that ride for a loooooong weekend.