Floor pump prices

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by RS, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. RS

    RS Guest

    Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got?
    Bike shops sell them for $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure
    of their quality.

    Tags:

  2. stu

    stu Guest

    super cheap auto are selling a 2 HP 240V compressor for $99, "if you buy any
    air tool". If that includes there "air tool kit" for $45.99, then for $145
    you get the compressor, 5m hose,spray gun, blower, degreasing gun and a tyre
    inflating gun. BUT this would max out about 120psi. if you want more they
    have a 12V one(like matthew is talking about) that is good for 160psi, with
    hose and tyre inflator for $97(alot more portable to)
    sorry l couldn't be any help on the floor pumps

  3. Shabby

    Shabby Guest

    Rs wrote:
    > Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike
    > shops sell them for $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of
    > their quality.

    I'd just go to your local bike shop and buy one. Having correctly
    inflated tyres will pay the price of the pump off in a year or two with
    reduced flats.

    Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a
    compressor for the once a week pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like an
    unneccessary expense to me.

  4. till

    till Guest

    RS <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got?
    > Bike shops sell them for $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure
    > of their quality.

    I have a Serfas Airbones, its got both schrader and presta heads on it,
    and it was pretty cheap, say less than $60? Perhaps try and dig one of
    these up, mine seems to be lasting *fine*, but its only a year or so
    old.

    till

  5. stu

    stu Guest

    super cheap auto have a 12v one good for 120psi for $6.99
    no guage though

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "g" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1fyljzt.7n9pz3orzjmmN%[email protected]
    > People who have Silica pumps are usually the last pump they buy, 17 to
    > 20 years service. Only needs the little $2 washer replace every few
    > years. Lets face it, thats how stuff is supposed to last, brilliant.
    > Last looked they were $69. I'm getting one when my Taiwanese one

    finally
    > sh*ts itself.

    Yepperz.. SILCA floor pumps all the way!
    I paid about $60 for mine and I wouldn't touch
    a compressor or frame pump if the Silca was
    handy.

    HTH
    hippy

  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    : Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got?
    : Bike shops sell them for $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure
    : of their quality.
    :
    :

    Buy the bike shop one. The good floor pumps are fantastic. Dont worry
    about compressors. Its effortless to pump up to 120-150 with a good floor
    pump. If its too much of an effort to pump up this with a good floor pump
    then I suggest it would be too much effort to ride a bike at all.

    cheers
    Pete

  8. Cody

    Cody Guest

    "RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got?
    > Bike shops sell them for $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure
    > of their quality.

    I have a Silca which I have used for about 12 years but those Kmart foot
    pumps for about $12 to $14 can't be beat for tyres up to 90psi (after that
    the hoses tend to blow off the pump). They are handy to have lying about the
    car port/shed for the kid's bikes etc whereas the Silca cost me about $50 so
    I tend to look after it more.

  9. rickster

    rickster Guest

    Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3f1f2270
    [snip]

    > Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a
    > compressor for the once a week pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like an
    > unneccessary expense to me.

    You only pump yoour tyres once a week ?

    I do it every time I ride, I like to know what pressure my tyres are at.

    RMan

  10. Shabby

    Shabby Guest

    Rickster wrote:
    > Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<3f1f2270 [snip]
    > >
    > > Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a
    > > compressor for the once a week pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like
    > > an unneccessary expense to me.

    > You only pump yoour tyres once a week ?
    > I do it every time I ride, I like to know what pressure my tyres are at.
    > RMan

    Every time you ride sounds a bit obsessive compulsive to me.

    For me: Training bike once a week (on average), race bike - every time I
    ride it, track bike - every time I ride it. There's enough other things
    to do related to cycling without throwing extra pumping in as well
    (washing clothes, cleaning bike, charging lights etc.).

    The tyres don't go down that much during a week, probably down from
    120psi to 100psi by the end of the week if you use good tubes. For
    training, that's enough for me to avoid flats, which is the main aim for
    the training bike.

  11. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    I'm with RMan.
    must admit I pump my tires up every time I ride (ok occasionally I dont do
    the front!), not obsessive compulsive just making sure the tyres havent gone
    down on me and causing more hassles during a ride (especially if I commute
    to work). You'd be surprised how much some tubes lose over a period of
    time...valve extensions are worse for this too if you have deep section
    rims.
    each to their own though I s'pose!

    "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3f1f2270
    > [snip]
    >

    > > Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a
    > > compressor for the once a week pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like an
    > > unneccessary expense to me.

    > You only pump yoour tyres once a week ?
    >
    > I do it every time I ride, I like to know what pressure my tyres are at.
    >
    > RMan

  12. RS

    RS Guest

    Bought a Silca pump from Fitzroy Cycles, and am very happy with it. It even
    pumped a car type to 30lbs.
    It must have mozzed me because I got a flat tyre going homewards. Luckily I was
    only 500m from home.

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:07:53 +1000, RS <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got?
    >Bike shops sell them for $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure
    >of their quality.

  13. Glen F

    Glen F Guest

    > How well your tyres hold air depends on the kinds of valves you
    > have. Schraeder valves don't hold air well over 80lbs and will
    > require frequent topping up if you're running at 100 lbs.

    Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my
    shock holds 200+psi for months without loss, so I doubt it's the
    valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

  14. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "RS" wrote
    > Bought a Silca pump from Fitzroy Cycles, and am very happy with it. It

    even
    > pumped a car type to 30lbs.

    Have 11 cu ft compressor at home.

    :)

    Theo

  15. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Glen F" wrote

    > Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my
    > shock holds 200+psi for months without loss, so I doubt it's the
    > valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

    There are always exceptions. They are.... exceptions. Let me say most
    Schrader valves then.

    Schraders seal with air pressure. Prestas seal by screw.

    Theo

  16. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Glen F" wrote

    > Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my
    > shock holds 200+psi for months without loss, so I doubt it's the
    > valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

    Thought about this again. I don't have shocks on any of my treadlies
    and am not familiar with them. The shocks on my motorcycle have
    Schrader valves and take 10-15 lbs in the front, 20-25 in the back.
    Why does your shock need that much pressure and how do you pump them
    up. My commercial 11 cu ft V-twin compressor is good for only about
    140 lbs, garage pumps would be struggling to deliver 100 at the hose
    end. Few air-hoses can handle that kind of pressure and that would be
    one hell of a hand-pump. I doubt there's much difference in quality in
    Schrader valves. The whole valve and seat assembly screws out and can
    be replaced with another for about 20 cents.

    ???

    Theo

  17. Glen F

    Glen F Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Glen F" wrote
    >
    > > Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my
    > > shock holds 200+psi for months without loss, so I doubt it's the
    > > valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

    > Thought about this again. I don't have shocks on any of my treadlies
    > and am not familiar with them. The shocks on my motorcycle have
    > Schrader valves and take 10-15 lbs in the front, 20-25 in the back.
    > Why does your shock need that much pressure and how do you pump them
    > up. My commercial 11 cu ft V-twin compressor is good for only about
    > 140 lbs, garage pumps would be struggling to deliver 100 at the hose
    > end. Few air-hoses can handle that kind of pressure and that would be
    > one hell of a hand-pump. I doubt there's much difference in quality in
    > Schrader valves. The whole valve and seat assembly screws out and can
    > be replaced with another for about 20 cents.

    Rear shocks on MTBs typically work at high mechanical advantage, hence
    they need to run high pressure - I run mine at ~220psi. Yes, a special
    pump is required, one with a very narrow barrel so that it doesn't need
    much force to operate. The schrader valve used appears (externally) to
    be very well made. I presume it uses a special insert.