Floor pump prices

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Rs, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Rs

    Rs Guest

    Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for $60-$90.
    Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.

    Tags:

  2. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    The Kmart ones are really for cars ok That is they are ok for pressures up to 45 to 50 psi after
    that they can be a bit hard to pump , all in all they are good value and you can get up to 80 psi
    out of them.

    The Alternative is to buy a cheap compressor from a car accessories shop ( wait until they are on
    special ) usually around the end of the racing season and find an old car battery that is no use for
    a car but can still hold a charge. You can keep it charged with a small plug pack be sure that it is
    12v or less or you can boil the battery very messy.

    RS wrote:

    > Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for
    > $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.

  3. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I'd just go to your local bike shop and buy one. Having correctly inflated tyres will pay the price of the pump off in a year or two with reduced flats.

    Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a compressor for the once a week pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like an unneccessary expense to me.

  4. Stu

    Stu Guest

    super cheap auto are selling a 2 HP 240V compressor for $99, "if you buy any air tool". If that
    includes there "air tool kit" for $45.99, then for $145 you get the compressor, 5m hose,spray gun,
    blower, degreasing gun and a tyre inflating gun. BUT this would max out about 120psi. if you want
    more they have a 12V one(like matthew is talking about) that is good for 160psi, with hose and tyre
    inflator for $97(alot more portable to) sorry l couldn't be any help on the floor pumps

  5. Till

    Till Guest

    RS <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for
    > $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.

    I have a Serfas Airbones, its got both schrader and presta heads on it, and it was pretty cheap, say
    less than $60? Perhaps try and dig one of these up, mine seems to be lasting *fine*, but its only a
    year or so old.

    till

  6. Stu

    Stu Guest

    super cheap auto have a 12v one good for 120psi for $6.99 no guage though

  7. G

    G Guest

    RS <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for
    > $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.

    I have a Giyo floor pump, it still works though the head had to be replaced (warranty job), now the
    barrel unscrews itself from the base if I don't regularly check it. Its 3 years old, I wonder if it
    will go past 5 years.. Cost me $59.

    People who have Silica pumps are usually the last pump they buy, 17 to 20 years service. Only needs
    the little $2 washer replace every few years. Lets face it, thats how stuff is supposed to last,
    brilliant. Last looked they were $69. I'm getting one when my Taiwanese one finally sh*ts itself.

    Cheap little electric pumps are really slow, by the time you plugged it in etc, a floor pump would
    have long finished the job.

    hope this helps GK

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fyljzt.7n9pz3orzjmmN%[email protected]...
    > People who have Silica pumps are usually the last pump they buy, 17 to 20 years service. Only
    > needs the little $2 washer replace every few years. Lets face it, thats how stuff is supposed to
    > last, brilliant. Last looked they were $69. I'm getting one when my Taiwanese one
    finally
    > sh*ts itself.

    Yepperz.. SILCA floor pumps all the way! I paid about $60 for mine and I wouldn't touch a compressor
    or frame pump if the Silca was handy.

    HTH hippy

  9. Rs

    Rs Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions. A manual pump would be the fastest to use where I park the
    bike, since there is no power nearby. Would also warm me up before riding on these cold
    Melbourne mornings.

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:44:26 +0800, [email protected] (g) wrote:

    >RS <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for
    >> $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.
    >
    >I have a Giyo floor pump, it still works though the head had to be replaced (warranty job), now the
    >barrel unscrews itself from the base if I don't regularly check it. Its 3 years old, I wonder if it
    >will go past 5 years.. Cost me $59.
    >
    >People who have Silica pumps are usually the last pump they buy, 17 to 20 years service. Only needs
    >the little $2 washer replace every few years. Lets face it, thats how stuff is supposed to last,
    >brilliant. Last looked they were $69. I'm getting one when my Taiwanese one finally sh*ts itself.
    >
    >Cheap little electric pumps are really slow, by the time you plugged it in etc, a floor pump would
    >have long finished the job.
    >
    >hope this helps GK

  10. Andy G

    Andy G Guest

    go silca go quality "RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for
    > $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.

  11. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:54:54 GMT, "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Yepperz.. SILCA floor pumps all the way! I paid about $60 for mine and I wouldn't touch a
    >compressor or frame pump if the Silca was handy.

    Are you the guy who rides around with a Silca floor pump in a back-pack? That's a bit
    over-the-top to my mind. A couple of compressed air bottles and a schraeder/presta converter has
    been enough for me.

    I've had my Silca floor pump for years. Bullet-proof.

    Regards, Richard.

  12. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Yepperz.. SILCA floor pumps all the way! I paid about $60 for mine and I wouldn't touch a
    > >compressor or frame pump if the Silca was handy.
    >
    > Are you the guy who rides around with a Silca floor pump in a back-pack? That's a bit
    > over-the-top to my mind. A couple of compressed air bottles and a schraeder/presta converter has
    > been enough for me.

    hahaha no, but I saw him on last year's Around the Bay in a Day! :)

    When I said I wouldn't touch a frame pump I meant that I wouldn't use one if I could 'practically'
    use a floor pump. I still have a couple of frame pumps on bikes for use "on" rides. I also have a
    presta/schraeder converter but always seem to leave it at home (with the frame pump) when I really
    need it! I've never tried the gas bottles and don't think I will, unless I was in a really important
    race. They are simply too costly and gimmicky for my liking.

    hippy

  13. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    : Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for
    : $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.
    :
    :

    Buy the bike shop one. The good floor pumps are fantastic. Dont worry about compressors. Its
    effortless to pump up to 120-150 with a good floor pump. If its too much of an effort to pump up
    this with a good floor pump then I suggest it would be too much effort to ride a bike at all.

    cheers Pete

  14. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:59:39 +1000, "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:gm2vhvg52705cr8j4dur9sb9quh[email protected]...
    >> >Yepperz.. SILCA floor pumps all the way! I paid about $60 for mine and I wouldn't touch a
    >> >compressor or frame pump if the Silca was handy.
    >>
    >> Are you the guy who rides around with a Silca floor pump in a back-pack? That's a bit
    >> over-the-top to my mind. A couple of compressed air bottles and a schraeder/presta converter has
    >> been enough for me.
    >
    >hahaha no, but I saw him on last year's Around the Bay in a Day! :)

    Ha. You see some weird things on that ride :)

    Regards, Richard.

  15. Cody

    Cody Guest

    "RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for
    > $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.

    I have a Silca which I have used for about 12 years but those Kmart foot pumps for about $12 to $14
    can't be beat for tyres up to 90psi (after that the hoses tend to blow off the pump). They are handy
    to have lying about the car port/shed for the kid's bikes etc whereas the Silca cost me about $50 so
    I tend to look after it more.

  16. Rickster

    Rickster Guest

    Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3f1f2270 [snip]

    > Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a compressor for the once a week
    > pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like an unneccessary expense to me.

    You only pump yoour tyres once a week ?

    I do it every time I ride, I like to know what pressure my tyres are at.

    RMan

  17. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Every time you ride sounds a bit obsessive compulsive to me.

    For me: Training bike once a week (on average), race bike - every time I ride it, track bike - every time I ride it. There's enough other things to do related to cycling without throwing extra pumping in as well (washing clothes, cleaning bike, charging lights etc.).

    The tyres don't go down that much during a week, probably down from 120psi to 100psi by the end of the week if you use good tubes. For training, that's enough for me to avoid flats, which is the main aim for the training bike.

  18. idealhilton

    idealhilton New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Giyo seem to make most of the namebrand pumps out of Taiwan ,
    & a few importers even carry spare hoses etc.
    We sell quite a few of their steel barrelled/based pumps as they are inside $50 with a thumblock & guage. Their alloy model is only about 5$ dearer.
    Silca's are/were good but in the 20years I've been selling them I've lost count of the number of times they've change the design of their chucks so you can't replace a chuck washer on say a 10 year old pump without buying a complete chuck for 22$ & those pesky white plastic thingies in the barrel often crack.
    Steve
    Ideal

  19. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    I'm with RMan. must admit I pump my tires up every time I ride (ok occasionally I dont do the
    front!), not obsessive compulsive just making sure the tyres havent gone down on me and causing more
    hassles during a ride (especially if I commute to work). You'd be surprised how much some tubes lose
    over a period of time...valve extensions are worse for this too if you have deep section rims. each
    to their own though I s'pose!

    "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3f1f2270 [snip]
    >

    > > Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a compressor for the once a week
    > > pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like an unneccessary expense to me.
    >
    > You only pump yoour tyres once a week ?
    >
    > I do it every time I ride, I like to know what pressure my tyres are at.
    >
    > RMan

  20. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Scotty" wrote
    > I'm with RMan.ail.com.au must admit I pump my tires up every time I ride (ok occasionally I dont
    > do the front!), not obsessive compulsive just making sure the tyres havent
    gone
    > down on me and causing more hassles during a ride (especially if I commute to work). You'd be
    > surprised how much some tubes lose over a period of time...valve extensions are worse for this too
    > if you have deep section rims.

    How well your tyres hold air depends on the kinds of valves you have. Schraeder valves don't hold
    air well over 80lbs and will require frequent topping up if you're running at 100 lbs. This is why
    high pressure tyres mostly have presta valves. When I was riding to work every day (before I moved
    to be 55 kms from work) I found that my prestas would lose about ten lbs a week on the Conti. Not
    worth (IMHO) messing with every day. I was running slicks on my mountain bike at 60 lbs. These would
    need topping up twice a week.

    Theo