Floor pump prices

Bought a Silca pump from Fitzroy Cycles, and am very happy with it. It even pumped a car type to
30lbs. It must have mozzed me because I got a flat tyre going homewards. Luckily I was only 500m
from home.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:07:53 +1000, RS <[email protected]> wrote:

>Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got? Bike shops sell them for $60-$90.
>Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure of their quality.

> How well your tyres hold air depends on the kinds of valves you have. Schraeder valves don't hold
> air well over 80lbs and will require frequent topping up if you're running at 100 lbs.

Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my shock holds 200+psi for months without
loss, so I doubt it's the valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

"RS" wrote
> Bought a Silca pump from Fitzroy Cycles, and am very happy with it. It
even
> pumped a car type to 30lbs.

Have 11 cu ft compressor at home.

:)

Theo

"Glen F" wrote

> Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my shock holds 200+psi for months
> without loss, so I doubt it's the valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

There are always exceptions. They are.... exceptions. Let me say most Schrader valves then.

Schraders seal with air pressure. Prestas seal by screw.

Theo

"Glen F" wrote

> Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my shock holds 200+psi for months
> without loss, so I doubt it's the valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

Thought about this again. I don't have shocks on any of my treadlies and am not familiar with them.
The shocks on my motorcycle have Schrader valves and take 10-15 lbs in the front, 20-25 in the back.
Why does your shock need that much pressure and how do you pump them up. My commercial 11 cu ft
V-twin compressor is good for only about 140 lbs, garage pumps would be struggling to deliver 100 at
the hose end. Few air-hoses can handle that kind of pressure and that would be one hell of a
hand-pump. I doubt there's much difference in quality in Schrader valves. The whole valve and seat
assembly screws out and can be replaced with another for about 20 cents.

???

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Glen F" wrote
>
> > Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my shock holds 200+psi for months
> > without loss, so I doubt it's the valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?
>
> Thought about this again. I don't have shocks on any of my treadlies and am not familiar with
> them. The shocks on my motorcycle have Schrader valves and take 10-15 lbs in the front, 20-25 in
> the back. Why does your shock need that much pressure and how do you pump them up. My commercial
> 11 cu ft V-twin compressor is good for only about 140 lbs, garage pumps would be struggling to
> deliver 100 at the hose end. Few air-hoses can handle that kind of pressure and that would be one
> hell of a hand-pump. I doubt there's much difference in quality in Schrader valves. The whole
> valve and seat assembly screws out and can be replaced with another for about 20 cents.

Rear shocks on MTBs typically work at high mechanical advantage, hence they need to run high
pressure - I run mine at ~220psi. Yes, a special pump is required, one with a very narrow barrel so
that it doesn't need much force to operate. The schrader valve used appears (externally) to be very
well made. I presume it uses a special insert.

Originally posted by Shabby
Every time you ride sounds a bit obsessive compulsive to me.

For me: Training bike once a week (on average), race bike - every time I ride it, track bike - every time I ride it. There's enough other things to do related to cycling without throwing extra pumping in as well (washing clothes, cleaning bike, charging lights etc.).

The tyres don't go down that much during a week, probably down from 120psi to 100psi by the end of the week if you use good tubes. For training, that's enough for me to avoid flats, which is the main aim for the training bike.

You should pump your tyres before each ride, especially if its a high pressure tyre. I have racing wheels with latex tubes which drop from 125 to 70 pounds overnight whereas my training wheels with ordinary tubes drop about 10 pounds overnight. Its not necessarily the valves but the porosity of the rubber.
If you have a pressure gauge, measure your pressure and make your own decision.

I bought a Tioga track pump from Phantom Cycles for about $70. One of the best investments I've made. Even pumps up the car tyres.
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.asp?pid=521