Floor pump recommendation

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Atanovich, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. Looking for something with a universal presta/schrader head that removes
    easily from the stem and doesn't need to be reconfigured for each type,
    fairly inexpensive (<$40) and above all reliable. I bought a Topeak Joe
    Blow Pro a couple years ago and it truly is a POS.

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Mark Atanovich writes:

    > Looking for something with a universal Presta/Schrader head that
    > removes easily from the stem and doesn't need to be reconfigured for
    > each type, fairly inexpensive (<$40) and above all reliable. I
    > bought a Topeak Joe Blow Pro a couple years ago and it truly is a
    > POS.

    Forget about the $40 pump if you plan to ride a few years and get the
    Blackburn Air Tower-5.

    http://tinyurl.com/73zyw

    Super light double action pump with all the features a floor pump
    should have. Check out the low friction seals that make it slide like
    a trombone. Like a drum with a hole in it... can't be beat!

    Jobst Brandt

  3. David White

    David White Guest

    Mark Atanovich wrote:

    > Looking for something with a universal presta/schrader head that removes
    > easily from the stem and doesn't need to be reconfigured for each type,
    > fairly inexpensive (<$40) and above all reliable. I bought a Topeak Joe
    > Blow Pro a couple years ago and it truly is a POS.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    Somehow I am ashamed to admit that I have been pretty happy with my Nashbar
    Blue Pump
    <http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=106&subcategory=1075&brand=&sku=2420&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=>
    but I shouldn't be. I bought it on a whim a couple years back because of the
    low price and the nice, dual-size head. I figured it would prove less useful
    than my old, retro Silca floor pump but since I have had it, the Silca stands
    completely idle. With my ancient eyes, I'd prefer the guage dial be located
    higher like on the Red or Orange models but they weren't available back then
    (and I cannot comment on their quality since I have not seen them).

  4. damyth

    damyth Guest

    David White wrote:
    > Mark Atanovich wrote:
    >
    > > Looking for something with a universal presta/schrader head that removes
    > > easily from the stem and doesn't need to be reconfigured for each type,
    > > fairly inexpensive (<$40) and above all reliable. I bought a Topeak Joe
    > > Blow Pro a couple years ago and it truly is a POS.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Mark
    > >

    > Somehow I am ashamed to admit that I have been pretty happy with my Nashbar
    > Blue Pump
    > <http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=106&subcategory=1075&brand=&sku=2420&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=>
    > but I shouldn't be. I bought it on a whim a couple years back because of the
    > low price and the nice, dual-size head. I figured it would prove less useful
    > than my old, retro Silca floor pump but since I have had it, the Silca stands
    > completely idle. With my ancient eyes, I'd prefer the guage dial be located
    > higher like on the Red or Orange models but they weren't available back then
    > (and I cannot comment on their quality since I have not seen them).

    That's nothing to be ashamed about. I replaced the hose/chuck combo on
    my Silca floor pump with the Nashbar Blue Pump hose & dual-size head
    for ~$7 and couldn't have been more pleased with the results. This was
    over a year ago.

    The current Silca chuck designs are the very definition of POS. They
    had another reversible design in the mid 80's that worked really well,
    and since they changed that design all their new chucks have been crap.

  5. landotter

    landotter Guest

    I'm happy as can be with my Joe Blow Max, which I picked up for $20.
    The head's a little gimpy, but I'll replace it when it wears out.

    If it's indeed the head you don't like, have your LBS get you a real
    fancy one--and you can recycle the Joe Blow.

  6. landotter wrote:
    > I'm happy as can be with my Joe Blow Max, which I picked up for $20.
    > The head's a little gimpy, but I'll replace it when it wears out.
    >
    > If it's indeed the head you don't like, have your LBS get you a real
    > fancy one--and you can recycle the Joe Blow.

    It's not the head. The plating on the shaft is flaking off and gets
    into the valves which then leak. I wire brushed the plating off and
    cleaned the innards but it appears the damage has been done.

  7. Mark Atanovich schrieb:
    > Looking for something with a universal presta/schrader head that removes
    > easily from the stem and doesn't need to be reconfigured for each type,
    > fairly inexpensive (<$40) and above all reliable. I bought a Topeak Joe
    > Blow Pro a couple years ago and it truly is a POS.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    The best floorpump from europe is the "Rennkompressor" from SKS, the
    pump far more popular as the Silca and not "Made in China" like all
    the Topeak, Blackburn, Specialized, Trek or Cannondale pumps.
    http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage.php?mod=detail&cid=1&id=50&zg=1&seite=2&start=3

  8. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:05:59 +0100, Volker Leimann
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >(PeteCresswell) schrieb:
    >> Per Volker Leimann:
    >>
    >>>http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage.php?mod=detail&cid=1&id=50&zg=1&seite=2&start=3

    >> Which begs the question: what is a "track" pump?

    >A "track" pump is the same like a floor pump, but the "SKS
    >Rennkompressor" has the advantage to inflate tires up to 16 bar
    >(thats 240 psi), for tubular track tires.

    Nice, from what I can see. For a tool that's going to be left at home
    anyway, the choice of materials is appropriate as well. I really
    don't understand the obsession with making things from carbon fiber
    composite when weight is not an issue and steel will do the job.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  9. Volker Leimann writes:

    >> Looking for something with a universal presta/schrader head that
    >> removes easily from the stem and doesn't need to be reconfigured
    >> for each type, fairly inexpensive (<$40) and above all reliable. I
    >> bought a Topeak Joe Blow Pro a couple years ago and it truly is a
    >> POS.

    > The best floorpump from europe is the "Rennkompressor" from SKS, the
    > pump far more popular as the Silca and not "Made in China" like all
    > the Topeak, Blackburn, Specialized, Trek or Cannondale pumps.

    http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage.php?mod=detail&cid=1&id=50&zg=1&seite=2&start=3

    Let's not get too nationalistic about this but the one you prefer is a
    one stage (single action) pump that talkes at least four times the
    number of strokes to fill a tire. Two stage pumps have always been a
    goal for users and pump manufacturers. An alternative is to make the
    cylider of a single action pump nearly twice as long since no
    significant work is done for the first half of the downstroke... or
    more. Even that doesn't approach the efficiency of a good two stage
    pump. As I said, try the Air Tower-5 at your local bicycle shop.

    http://tinyurl.com/73zyw

    Jobst Brandt

  10. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    [email protected] writes:

    > As I said, try the Air Tower-5 at your local bicycle shop.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/73zyw

    "Lightweight carbon fiber barrel?" On a floor pump? Are there any
    good two-stage pumps on the market that are more likely to be durable?

  11. Volker Leimann writes:

    http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage.php?mod=detail&cid=1&id=50&zg=1&seite=2&start=3

    >> Which begs the question: what is a "track" pump?

    > A "track" pump is the same like a floor pump, but the "SKS
    > Rennkompressor" has the advantage to inflate tires up to 16 bar
    > (thats 240 psi), for tubular track tires.

    "Rennkompressor" aka "racing pump", no ordinary pump, this!

    The allusion to the bicycle track is common in bicycle lore, there
    being the place where bicycle tales most prevalent, higher speeds,
    higher pressure, lighter tires, stronger rim glue, tougher chains,
    lighter bicycles and many more. I recall local riders who would often
    mention their "track pump" concerning tire inflation. It's not new.

    Just the same, maximum inflation pressure is limited mainly by
    operator strength, or for practical purposes the diameter of the
    output cylinder. The smaller the volume the higher the pressure, and
    the longer it takes to inflate a tire. That is why two stage pumps
    are desirable. They use a small diameter output cylinder filled by a
    large diameter first stage on the otherwise wasted up-stroke. The
    pump is effectively one with a cylinder the size of its first stage
    but requiring no more force than a single stage pump for output.

    The two stage pump is the true Rennkompressor.

    Jobst Brandt

  12. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de news:[email protected],
    [email protected] <[email protected]> a
    réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
    > Volker Leimann writes:
    >
    >>> Looking for something with a universal presta/schrader head that
    >>> removes easily from the stem and doesn't need to be reconfigured
    >>> for each type, fairly inexpensive (<$40) and above all reliable. I
    >>> bought a Topeak Joe Blow Pro a couple years ago and it truly is a
    >>> POS.

    >> The best floorpump from europe is the "Rennkompressor" from SKS, the
    >> pump far more popular as the Silca and not "Made in China" like all
    >> the Topeak, Blackburn, Specialized, Trek or Cannondale pumps.

    > http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage.php?mod=detail&cid=1&id=50&zg=1&seite=2&start=3
    >
    > Let's not get too nationalistic about this but the one you prefer is a
    > one stage (single action) pump that talkes at least four times the
    > number of strokes to fill a tire. Two stage pumps have always been a
    > goal for users and pump manufacturers. An alternative is to make the
    > cylider of a single action pump nearly twice as long since no
    > significant work is done for the first half of the downstroke... or
    > more. Even that doesn't approach the efficiency of a good two stage
    > pump. As I said, try the Air Tower-5 at your local bicycle shop.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/73zyw

    The Blackburn may not be too available - I have not seen any in France,
    other than the one I brought (aluminum barrel, which split, after many
    years, at the base). But, it's true, you will see the Rennkompressor
    widely, and it's a pleasure to use. Mine replaced the Blackburn. For the
    head, though, Zefal makes one switchable one, and it never leaks or wobbles
    for me.
    --
    Sandy
    --

  13. Tim McNamara writes:

    >> As I said, try the Air Tower-5 at your local bicycle shop.

    http://tinyurl.com/73zyw

    > "Lightweight carbon fiber barrel?" On a floor pump? Are there any
    > good two-stage pumps on the market that are more likely to be
    > durable?

    I am dismayed at what the marketing people did to this pump that is
    basically the design I presented here of my stainless steel double
    acting pump on occasion in years past. At least they took the hint
    and built one and, from what I can tell, it works well besides being
    lighter than made of balsa wood. It's main improvement is that it has
    low friction seals, probably Teflon, that make it a light touch.

    You may have noticed that FSA also chose carbon fiber instead of
    aluminum for the base plate when they built my tensiometer.

    http://tinyurl.com/7ogpr

    What can I say? Carbon is in for everything bicycling.

    Jobst Brandt

  14. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On 27 Dec 2005 11:52:22 -0800, "[email protected][NOSPAM]cox.net"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >landotter wrote:
    >> I'm happy as can be with my Joe Blow Max, which I picked up for $20.
    >> The head's a little gimpy, but I'll replace it when it wears out.
    >>
    >> If it's indeed the head you don't like, have your LBS get you a real
    >> fancy one--and you can recycle the Joe Blow.

    >It's not the head. The plating on the shaft is flaking off and gets
    >into the valves which then leak. I wire brushed the plating off and
    >cleaned the innards but it appears the damage has been done.

    Topeak usually stands behind their products, have you tried getting
    the pump repaired/replaced under warranty? I would contact them. It
    can't hurt, at worst they say no, at best a new pump.

    My Joe Blow Sport with the upgraded Smarthead, works fine.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  15. On 27 Dec 2005 22:22:52 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Let's not get too nationalistic about this but the one you prefer is a
    >one stage (single action) pump that talkes at least four times the
    >number of strokes to fill a tire. Two stage pumps have always been a
    >goal for users and pump manufacturers.

    Let me get this straight, this design pumps while the handle's going up as
    well as down? Doesn't that make it fatiguing to use? Pulling strength
    takes much more out of you than pushing strength.

    Jasper

  16. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    [email protected] writes:

    > Tim McNamara writes:
    >
    >>> As I said, try the Air Tower-5 at your local bicycle shop.

    > http://tinyurl.com/73zyw
    >
    >> "Lightweight carbon fiber barrel?" On a floor pump? Are there any
    >> good two-stage pumps on the market that are more likely to be
    >> durable?

    > I am dismayed at what the marketing people did to this pump that is
    > basically the design I presented here of my stainless steel double
    > acting pump on occasion in years past. At least they took the hint
    > and built one and, from what I can tell, it works well besides being
    > lighter than made of balsa wood. It's main improvement is that it
    > has low friction seals, probably Teflon, that make it a light touch.

    So they don't have an equivalent version with a steel barrel.
    Bummer. I'll have to track one down to look at it. I suppose- not
    knowing much about materials- that if the CF is thick enough it might
    be reasonably durable. If the inside of the barrel is CF where it is
    in contact with the seals, though, I would be concerned about wear.

    > You may have noticed that FSA also chose carbon fiber instead of
    > aluminum for the base plate when they built my tensiometer.

    I did. And a darned handsome tool it turned out to be. But an
    aluminum plate could make it cost about $50 less...

    > http://tinyurl.com/7ogpr
    >
    > What can I say? Carbon is in for everything bicycling.

    Good point. Even where it makes no sense whatsoever.

  17. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 27 Dec 2005 22:22:52 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Volker Leimann writes:
    >
    >>> Looking for something with a universal presta/schrader head that
    >>> removes easily from the stem and doesn't need to be reconfigured
    >>> for each type, fairly inexpensive (<$40) and above all reliable. I
    >>> bought a Topeak Joe Blow Pro a couple years ago and it truly is a
    >>> POS.

    >> The best floorpump from europe is the "Rennkompressor" from SKS, the
    >> pump far more popular as the Silca and not "Made in China" like all
    >> the Topeak, Blackburn, Specialized, Trek or Cannondale pumps.

    > http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage.php?mod=detail&cid=1&id=50&zg=1&seite=2&start=3
    >
    >Let's not get too nationalistic about this but the one you prefer is a
    >one stage (single action) pump that talkes at least four times the
    >number of strokes to fill a tire. Two stage pumps have always been a
    >goal for users and pump manufacturers. An alternative is to make the
    >cylider of a single action pump nearly twice as long since no
    >significant work is done for the first half of the downstroke... or
    >more. Even that doesn't approach the efficiency of a good two stage
    >pump. As I said, try the Air Tower-5 at your local bicycle shop.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/73zyw

    By comparison to a hand-operated pump that costs $200, a decent 110V
    electric compressor at a much lower price becomes a much more
    attractive alternative.

    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92161

    or

    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...0916639000&subcat=Air+Compressors+&+Inflators

    (Yes, I know, right now the $200 hand pump is on sale for just $100.
    For less than $100, a somewhat smaller electric compressor can be had
    which will supply 115psi readily.)

    Elegance in design and construction is nice, but for some of us,
    getting the tire inflated as quickly, painlessly and cheaply as
    possible is a more important consideration.

    If there is a need to make the unit portable so that it can be carried
    along into the field, then the hand pump trumps the compressor easily,
    of course. (And of the battery-operated self-contained inflation
    units that I've tested, none were as fast as a conventional hand
    pump!)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.