Florian Rousseau

ed073

May 19, 2004
Just a quick post to lament the end of one of the most glittering track racing careers.

From Kilo champ in Norway in 1993 to yesterday's low-key departure from the sport in Melbourne, Florian Rousseau has been an absolute icon of professionalism and sportsmanship with a palmares few could ever match.

We'll miss you Florian and thanks for the memories.

I saw Florian win the keiren gold medal at Sydney ahead of Neiwand.What a great rider he was.It was amazing to see him beat the Hulks of sprinting with his much leaner frame.

For some reason when i think of Florian Rousseau i also think of Laurent Jalabert, i suppose in my mind they are two of a kind. Great champions, so versatile in their own ways, arguably the best at what they did, and such great people.

The end of an era.

Originally posted by drewjc
For some reason when i think of Florian Rousseau i also think of Laurent Jalabert, i suppose in my mind they are two of a kind. Great champions, so versatile in their own ways, arguably the best at what they did, and such great people.

The end of an era.

Both are pure class.....born bike racers.

Originally posted by ed073
Both are pure class.....born bike racers.

I'm not especially a track fan but I have to say Florian always impressed me.

The comparison with the great road man Laurent Jalabert is very
appropriate.
A nice analogy.

Haven;t been around as long as Florian, although i can say that from the videos that i've seen he was a master tactician, and he had that blend of power and speed that made it look all effortless, very sublime. The pinacle of sprinting when he was in his prime (which lasted for a good ten years)

Yes, sad to see him not reach his final goal - to qualify for Athens 2004 and retire.

One would think a rider of his ability (he can still do a 10.4 200m TT) and experience would, at the age of 30, still carry on.

But with 11 years at the top there can be no second prizes in his mind now that his dream of bowing out with a gold medal in Athens are no more.

Very sorry to see his announcement of immediate retirement but understandable