Florida Cyclists

For those wanting the comaraderie of fellow cyclists who will enjoy the pace no matter what their level is, the annual two day ride around Lake Okeechobee will start Saturday November 19th in Clewiston. After an overnight stay in Okeechobee the return trip will begin Sunday Morning November 20th.

You can sign up at the Bicyclery in West Palm Beach.:)

lakerider23 said:
For those wanting the comaraderie of fellow cyclists who will enjoy the pace no matter what their level is, the annual two day ride around Lake Okeechobee will start Saturday November 19th in Clewiston. After an overnight stay in Okeechobee the return trip will begin Sunday Morning November 20th.

You can sign up at the Bicyclery in West Palm Beach.:)
It's too bad that the entire route isn't paved, I'd love to ride it one day.

I heard about a ride going in Miami on Thanksgiving morning starting in Country walk. Any one know anything about it please inform me.

The MS Society used to have a MS50 up in that area during the winter. Went from Panama City Beach to Weston and back. I rode it both years that it happened but alas they cancelled it do to lack of participation.

Designer said:
Hey there, I'm fairly new to cycling and I live in the Weston area. This place is an absolute paradise for road cyclists. Because of my "new" status, I have a very basic old Schwin MTB. I put road tires on it (much faster) and have upgraded the seat. I ride the thing flat out all of the time which is only about 18mph.

Basically, I'm just getting myself into "road" shape. So far, I've lost 13lbs. When I'm ready - I'll get a road bike and stop getting passed. Getting passed happens to me every day. However, I couldn't care less because I'm not racing - I'm losing weight and getting into shape.

I've modified the bike as much as it can be. I ride the seat pretty high. My legs have only a slight bend when the pedal is all of the way down. This routine will continue, most likely, for about another 3 months. When I feel comfortable - I'll switch to a road bike - which is a substantial investment.

If anybody out there wants to have a very fast and very safe ride - try Weston. Just say, "Hi" when you zip past me...

I'm in the Tampa Bay area, and have done some research on the trails and paths in the area. I would be happy to share my small amount of knowledge with whomever asks.

Florida Biker said:
The MS Society used to have a MS50 up in that area during the winter. Went from Panama City Beach to Weston and back. I rode it both years that it happened but alas they cancelled it do to lack of participation.

It didn't fade away- got better ( now MS150 ) from Miami Dade College Kendall Campus to Key Largo's John Pennekamp Coral Reef Park in April.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/fls/event/default.asp?g=6

Good thread - I'll subscribe!

My MS150 Web Page: Donate or join our team (Microsoft).

I ride a hybird and started riding seriously this year. I'm up to 40 miles without a problem, averaging 14-16 (14 if the lights are against me, 16 if most are green!). I seem to cruise right around 18-20 between lights.

I'm 48 so you young roadies just watch out comming up behind me lol.

Send me an e-mail and I can usually be ready by 7 AM and ride until noon.

Mike Jacobs (mpj -at- pobox -dot- com) (de-spam accordingly).

from melbourne here......just getting into road cycling and hoping to do a few races soon enough, just have no clue where to start with that.

I'm fairly new to the Ft. Lauderdale area but I do know of a ride on Sunday MOrnings....

starts at A1A and Atlantic Blvd. in Pompano. North anywhere from 20 - 40 miles depending on the day. Speed - 18 - 22.

I know there are others because I've seen several groups around but I haven't researched where they start/end/etc.

JasonL said:
I'm fairly new to the Ft. Lauderdale area but I do know of a ride on Sunday MOrnings....

starts at A1A and Atlantic Blvd. in Pompano. North anywhere from 20 - 40 miles depending on the day. Speed - 18 - 22.

I know there are others because I've seen several groups around but I haven't researched where they start/end/etc.

Another ride in Broward is at Brian Picolo Park. I think its on sheraton, I know its east of I-75 and North of Pines Blvd. Small track local races on Tuesday nights. Also there is a Velodrom for trackies. Near the park, local bike shop West of the park on North side of road regular ride starting there, don't know when but find shop find out info. Need Dade rides let me know.