Florida Mountain Bike Question

Chris

Guest
I'm looking at picking up a mountain bike. My question is whether or not a
full suspension is the way to go with Florida Mountain Biking Trails.

Chris

> I'm looking at picking up a mountain bike. My question is whether or not a
> full suspension is the way to go with Florida Mountain Biking Trails.

Well, some people would tell you that nobody needs a double boinger. :)
That being said, there is a pretty technical park outside Ocala(think it's
Hard Rock park) that is built out of an old quarry, I think. The question
you face when buying a MTB is if you have $2000 to spend do you buy an
average full suspension or an awesome hardtail?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:55:26 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking at picking up a mountain bike. My question is whether or not a
>full suspension is the way to go with Florida Mountain Biking Trails.

I am a rookie and I'm old so maybe not a real good source of information so take
it for what it's worth, but on the sand, roots and palmetto here you can ride a
hardtail as fast as you can probably ride.

Unless you're looking to do anything commonly described as "sick" you'll do fine
on the HD. For that you'll have to find something other than the typical trail.

Ron

Chris wrote:
> I'm looking at picking up a mountain bike. My question is whether or

not a
> full suspension is the way to go with Florida Mountain Biking Trails.

Mountain biking equipment is *really* terrain specific. I'd say the
thing to do is ask around at some local trails and LBS. Beware the
gear-heads that buy everything in the magazines and ride flat trails
with freeride bikes and body armor. Try to find somebody with a clue --
it may not be easy.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > I'm looking at picking up a mountain bike. My question is whether or

> not a
> > full suspension is the way to go with Florida Mountain Biking Trails.

> Mountain biking equipment is *really* terrain specific. I'd say the
> thing to do is ask around at some local trails and LBS. Beware the
> gear-heads that buy everything in the magazines and ride flat trails
> with freeride bikes and body armor. Try to find somebody with a clue --
> it may not be easy.

The main problem here is; "Mountains in Florida"?????

I thought the Tampa Bay Bridge was the highest spot in the state.

HAND

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:42:04 GMT, H M Leary <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Chris wrote:
>> > I'm looking at picking up a mountain bike. My question is whether or

>> not a
>> > full suspension is the way to go with Florida Mountain Biking Trails.

>> Mountain biking equipment is *really* terrain specific. I'd say the
>> thing to do is ask around at some local trails and LBS. Beware the
>> gear-heads that buy everything in the magazines and ride flat trails
>> with freeride bikes and body armor. Try to find somebody with a clue --
>> it may not be easy.

>The main problem here is; "Mountains in Florida"?????
>
>I thought the Tampa Bay Bridge was the highest spot in the state.

One of the local Rail to Trail "linear parks" has a large ramped overpass
crossing about 8 lanes of road. I actually do intervals on the ramp, it's the
biggest hill within 50 miles.

Ron