Flouring meat

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Emrys Davies, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Why 'flour' stewing steak prior to browing/sealing it in oil?

    I always do this prior to using the meat to make a stew, but I am curious as to what it achieves.

    Regards, Emrys Davies.

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > " Emrys Davies"
    >
    >Why 'flour' stewing steak prior to browing/sealing it in oil?
    >
    >I always do this prior to using the meat to make a stew, but I am curious as to what it achieves.

    After dusting and shaking off the excess the quantity of flour that sticks to the meat is about the
    right amount to thicken the gravy... and browning the floured meat also browns the flour.

  3. Brian Macke

    Brian Macke Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:59:56 +0000, Emrys Davies wrote:

    > Why 'flour' stewing steak prior to browing/sealing it in oil?
    >
    > I always do this prior to using the meat to make a stew, but I am curious as to what it achieves.

    It essentially coats the meat with a roux so that when you add the liquid it'll make the liquid
    thicken into a sauce. At least that's what I figure when I do it.

    --
    -Brian James Macke [email protected] "In order to get that which you wish for, you must first
    get that which builds it." -- Unknown

  4. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    " Emrys Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why 'flour' stewing steak prior to browing/sealing it in oil?
    >
    > I always do this prior to using the meat to make a stew, but I am curious as to what it achieves.
    >
    > Regards, Emrys Davies.

    Near as I can tell, it adds another level of flavor, and also serves to thicken the gravy.

    kimberly

  5. Nexis wrote:

    > Near as I can tell, it adds another level of flavor, and also serves to thicken the gravy.
    >
    > kimberly

    That too, but my granmother did it and my mother did it so I must do it.

    --
    Ed [email protected] http://pages.cthome.net/edhome