Flouring meat

Emrys Davies

Guest
Why 'flour' stewing steak prior to browing/sealing it in oil?

I always do this prior to using the meat to make a stew, but I am curious as to what it achieves.

Regards, Emrys Davies.

> " Emrys Davies"
>
>Why 'flour' stewing steak prior to browing/sealing it in oil?
>
>I always do this prior to using the meat to make a stew, but I am curious as to what it achieves.

After dusting and shaking off the excess the quantity of flour that sticks to the meat is about the
right amount to thicken the gravy... and browning the floured meat also browns the flour.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:59:56 +0000, Emrys Davies wrote:

> Why 'flour' stewing steak prior to browing/sealing it in oil?
>
> I always do this prior to using the meat to make a stew, but I am curious as to what it achieves.

It essentially coats the meat with a roux so that when you add the liquid it'll make the liquid
thicken into a sauce. At least that's what I figure when I do it.

--
-Brian James Macke [email protected] "In order to get that which you wish for, you must first
get that which builds it." -- Unknown

" Emrys Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why 'flour' stewing steak prior to browing/sealing it in oil?
>
> I always do this prior to using the meat to make a stew, but I am curious as to what it achieves.
>
> Regards, Emrys Davies.

Near as I can tell, it adds another level of flavor, and also serves to thicken the gravy.

kimberly