Floyd, Floyd, Floyd...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Chimp, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    From Floydlandis.com:

    Floyd spent Saturday night in a Temecula hospital recovering from surgery after falling while riding
    home from a gym workout Saturday afternoon. Surgery to repair the fractured femoral neck (top of
    femor at hip joint) took 90 minutes and required the use of 3 titanium screws. No ligament or tendon
    damage was reported.

    "It hurt pretty bad right when I wrecked, so I knew something was up," said Floyd from his home in
    Temecula. "The whole thing happened so fast I couldn't even try to catch myself."

    Despite this current setback, Floyd remains positive about the upcoming season. "I figure this could
    be a blessing in disguise, a painful blessing but a blessing none the less!"

    "I'll miss some stuff but this injury gives me a chance to look deeper into the season and key off
    some major events, like the Vuelta and World's."

    The USPS Training Camp, set to start Feb. 21st in Solvang, CA, will be the first official team
    function that Floyd will miss during his recovery. His racing schedule looks to now begin sometime
    in May, pending clearance from his doctors.

    "The Tour is still priority #1 so I'll just have to take the time to get healed up and then get back
    into top form. I promise to return stronger than ever."

    "I also promise to drink more milk!"

    To send Floyd an email:[email protected]

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp

    Tags:

  2. ronde chimp wrote:
    > "I also promise to drink more milk!"

    Yeah first Bartoli now Landis, and they're not 80 years old. What decalcifies your bones if
    it's not age?

  3. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    ronde chimp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

    > "I'll miss some stuff but this injury gives me a chance to look deeper into the season and key off
    > some major events, like the Vuelta and World's."

    He could do well at worlds if he's still fresh. Last year he faded after his first tour,
    understandably.

    Being in North America, the US should be able to afford to field a complete team this year, huh?

  4. How long does it take for these guys to get in shape after spending several weeks off the bike?

    "ronde chimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From Floydlandis.com:
    >
    > Floyd spent Saturday night in a Temecula hospital recovering from surgery after falling while
    > riding home from a gym workout Saturday afternoon. Surgery to repair the fractured femoral neck
    > (top of femor at hip joint) took 90 minutes and required the use of 3 titanium screws. No ligament
    > or tendon damage was reported.
    >
    > "It hurt pretty bad right when I wrecked, so I knew something was up," said Floyd from his home in
    > Temecula. "The whole thing happened so fast I couldn't even try to catch myself."
    >
    > Despite this current setback, Floyd remains positive about the upcoming season. "I figure this
    > could be a blessing in disguise, a painful blessing but a blessing none the less!"
    >
    > "I'll miss some stuff but this injury gives me a chance to look deeper into the season and key off
    > some major events, like the Vuelta and World's."
    >
    > The USPS Training Camp, set to start Feb. 21st in Solvang, CA, will be the first official team
    > function that Floyd will miss during his recovery. His racing schedule looks to now begin sometime
    > in May, pending clearance from his doctors.
    >
    > "The Tour is still priority #1 so I'll just have to take the time to get healed up and then get
    > back into top form. I promise to return stronger than ever."
    >
    > "I also promise to drink more milk!"
    >
    > To send Floyd an email:[email protected]
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Chimp

  5. I'd bet a survey of Cat 3 or higher racers would find a significant difference in BMD from the
    general population, particularly for those with 5+ years in the sport. It was certainly the case for
    me after 15 years of riding and racing, and it got me back in my running shoes, as well as the gym,
    to compliment my riding. Pounding's not ALL bad for you... ;-)

    SB

    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ronde chimp wrote:
    > > > "I also promise to drink more milk!"
    > >
    > > Yeah first Bartoli now Landis, and they're not 80 years old. What decalcifies your bones if it's
    > > not age?
    >
    > Strenuous, non-weight bearing exercise. There are a number of reports in
    the
    > literature of below normal bone mineral density in highly trained road cyclists (although this is
    > not always found). The favored hypothesis at present (at least according to a leading researcher
    > in the field, with
    whom
    > I spoke) is that is due to elevated glucocorticoid levels. Assuring
    adequate
    > calcium intake is important, but certainly does not guarantee that the problem can be avoided.
    >
    > Andy Coggan

  6. I've seen such reports. But do you think that is appropriate in this case? These guys are fairly
    young. How long does it take for that to happen? Also, he was lifting weights, and we don't know
    what other activities he engages in. Going down at 25 mph with a direct hit seems like plenty of
    force to break normal bones.

    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ronde chimp wrote:
    > > > "I also promise to drink more milk!"
    > >
    > > Yeah first Bartoli now Landis, and they're not 80 years old. What decalcifies your bones if it's
    > > not age?
    >
    > Strenuous, non-weight bearing exercise. There are a number of reports in
    the
    > literature of below normal bone mineral density in highly trained road cyclists (although this is
    > not always found). The favored hypothesis at present (at least according to a leading researcher
    > in the field, with
    whom
    > I spoke) is that is due to elevated glucocorticoid levels. Assuring
    adequate
    > calcium intake is important, but certainly does not guarantee that the problem can be avoided.
    >
    > Andy Coggan

  7. >Subject: Re: Floyd, Floyd, Floyd... From: [email protected] (jim gravity)

    >Being in North America, the US should be able to afford to field a complete team this year, huh?

    The Americans don't have a big enough pool of pros to field a full team.

    -----Sharon Peters Personal Trainer to the Stars-------- Remove "No Junk" to reply please!!!

  8. >Subject: Re: Floyd, Floyd, Floyd... From: [email protected] (Sharon Peters) Date: 1/14/03
    >1:13 PM Central Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >>Subject: Re: Floyd, Floyd, Floyd... From: [email protected] (jim gravity)
    >
    >>Being in North America, the US should be able to afford to field a complete team this year, huh?
    >
    >The Americans don't have a big enough pool of pros to field a full team.

    We have plenty of "pros"...

  9. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    The word "floyd" is very close to the word "fred". In fact, it may be an even better term for
    describing "freds". And, you gotta say it, Floyd looks like a fred. Greg

  10. Andy Coggan wrote:

    > Strenuous, non-weight bearing exercise. There are a number of reports in the literature of below
    > normal bone mineral density in highly trained road cyclists (although this is not always found).
    > The favored hypothesis at present (at least according to a leading researcher in the field, with
    > whom I spoke) is that is due to elevated glucocorticoid levels. Assuring adequate calcium intake
    > is important, but certainly does not guarantee that the problem can be avoided.

    Any effect on bone mineral density from increased blood acidosis due to high carbohydrate dietary
    intake? I heard this kicked around as a potential cause of Boardman's osteoporeosis a while ago. STF

  11. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Andy Coggan wrote:
    >
    > > Strenuous, non-weight bearing exercise. There are a number of reports in
    the
    > > literature of below normal bone mineral density in highly trained road cyclists (although this
    > > is not always found). The favored hypothesis at present (at least according to a leading
    > > researcher in the field, with
    whom
    > > I spoke) is that is due to elevated glucocorticoid levels. Assuring
    adequate
    > > calcium intake is important, but certainly does not guarantee that the problem can be avoided.
    >
    > Any effect on bone mineral density from increased blood acidosis due to
    high
    > carbohydrate dietary intake? I heard this kicked around as a potential
    cause of
    > Boardman's osteoporeosis a while ago.

    Bone is far from my area of expertise, but I seriously doubt that you could induce significant
    changes in BMD simply by manipulating cardohydrate intake.

    Andy Coggan