Floyd Landis lands arrest warrant

swampy1970 said:
I don't think it takes more than a quick read to spot something very odd about the above - it certainly doesn't take someone with a background in IT security (which I have) to figure this out.

If Quiros is the guy that's been doing the hacking, why would Baker's IP address be on an email that sent "the trojan horse" to AFLD? I highly doubt that Quiros would have spoofed, by sheer chance, an IP address that mystically belonged to Baker, nor do I think that Quiros would be dumb enough to pick an IP that's registered to a company/ISP in either Quiros' or Bakers locale.

Given that AFLD is financially strapped for cash and has been for a while and that they 'seemingly' don't have the funds to take care of business onsight, one can being to believe that they have the latest and greatest in network security applications and hardware.

The case is about much more than FLandis. FLandis is actually more of a side show that revealed a larger conspiracy.

A small corporate intelligence firm run by former French intelligence agents was providing illegal espionage to a number of clients. The firm would hire a hacker in Morrocco to do the actual hacking. The LNDD trojan was traced to that hacker. When he was caught, evidence turned up that he had also hacked into the computers of Greenpeace and, in another incident, the computers of a corporate activist. The big issue is that the mostly government owned company (EdF) that operates French nuclear power stations was the client that was paying for the Greenpeace hack. The hack of the corporate activist was paid for by another company, Vivendi.

Other information seems to indicate that Baker himself accessed the LNDD's computer's from his home after the trojan was put into place. He took documents, modified them, and mailed them to the press. The emails in question were not sent by Baker from his home through his ISP and usual mail system. They were sent from the computers at LNDD so that the mail would appear to have come from someone in the lab. This access from Baker's home IP address I am not sure about.

Anyway, EdF has been charged with crimes. The same thing will probably happen to Vivendi. It looks like the investigation is slowly moving up the food chain. Ultimately they will presumably find that Baker paid the consulting firm.

swampy1970 said:
If Quiros is the guy that's been doing the hacking, why would Baker's IP address be on an email that sent "the trojan horse" to AFLD? I highly doubt that Quiros would have spoofed, by sheer chance, an IP address that mystically belonged to Baker, nor do I think that Quiros would be dumb enough to pick an IP that's registered to a company/ISP in either Quiros' or Bakers locale.

There are some other scenarios that could explain the situation. Try this one:

Hacker uses a trojan to access the LNDD's computers, retrieves docs, and hands them over to Baker. Baker modifies the docs and mails them to the press. The e-mails' headers have his IP address. Other, unrelated e-mail from Baker has the same IP address in the headers. The IP for the trojan has nothing to do with the IP for Baker and the "doc emails".

I think this makes the most sense. There is a bunch of conflicting info out there about what went on.

Bro Deal said:
There are some other scenarios that could explain the situation. Try this one:

Hacker uses a trojan to access the LNDD's computers, retrieves docs, and hands them over to Baker. Baker modifies the docs and mails them to the press. The e-mails' headers have his IP address. Other, unrelated e-mail from Baker has the same IP address in the headers. The IP for the trojan has nothing to do with the IP for Baker and the "doc emails".

Given that it's easier than beating off to good p0rn to spoof all IP information relating to emails its hard to imagine someone of Bakers knowledge of commiting a goof like that... but stranger things have happened. I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash, via the press... ;)

swampy1970 said:
Given that it's easier than beating off to good p0rn to spoof all IP information relating to emails its hard to imagine someone of Bakers knowledge of commiting a goof like that... but stranger things have happened. I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash, via the press... ;)

Who says Baker knows anything about computers? Hiring someone to hack into a government lab indicates that he is not smart enough to consider the possible consequences of his actions. It sounds like he has read one too many bad thrillers. How could he think that modifying documents was going to help the case?

Stripped of his TDF winners title, banned from the sport, his manager attempting to blackmail a witness in a court case and now an international arrest warrant.

Landis has fallen from a great height.

A tragedy of Greek proportions.

jimmypop said:
His answer was concise .

Last edited by cyberlegend1994; 2 Days Ago at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed insulting comment.

Why did this place turn into the Daily Peloton?