Floyd Landis' primer on political protest

Floyd's a pretty nice guy. At the Sea Otter road race here in Redwood City, the ill-fated one that
the men halted on the second lap, Floyd didn't particularly feel like he was part of the protest
(over what many riders felt was a dangerous course with too many opportunities for traffic
intrusion) and entertained the locals, acting like a regular guy. You can see a picture of him
giving advice to the TDF winner of 2025 here-

http://www.chainreaction.com/seaotterrc.htm

"Shayana Kadidal" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/diaries/floyd/?id=floyd0311

> Floyd rules.--Shayana Kadidal

Yea, I appreciate Floyd's comments, but I think he got the Durand thing wrong. Sure, Durand may have
been a bit of a jerk and presumptuous with his protest, yet he was not *****ing at the riders for
leaving his protest early and was actually laughing and being silly as they rode away. It should be
on OLN's Summer Sportszone soon and you can judge for yourself. I think Landis misrepresents Durand
and his actions in the column.

Reid

"Mr. G. Boff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Shayana Kadidal" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/diaries/floyd/?id=floyd0311
> >
> > Floyd rules.--Shayana Kadidal
>
> Yea, I appreciate Floyd's comments, but I think he got the Durand thing wrong. Sure, Durand may
> have been a bit of a jerk and presumptuous with
his
> protest, yet he was not *****ing at the riders for leaving his protest
early
> and was actually laughing and being silly as they rode away. It should be on OLN's Summer
> Sportszone soon and you can judge for yourself. I think Landis misrepresents Durand and his
> actions in the column.

So how do you explain Durand's weaving before running into the motorbike?

I saw the Summer Sportszone bit on this. Looked like the bit with Durand laughing in the pack was
shot as he was about to break away (his helmet was off!). Floyd's column implies Durand's comments
might have been joking when he took off: "he was not too happy and started to yell things in French
at the other riders. These were things, and I can only assume based on his tone, that were not meant
as friendly jokes." (That seems to me like the kind of thing you'd say if it was possible that you
just didn't understand, and Durand was in fact joking.) Was he also being silly by swerving before
running into the motorcycle? Maybe. But it's hard to tell from the few seconds of post-catch video
on Summer Sportszone.

BTW, what an odd looking crash! On TV it looked like Durand spontaneously decided to do a backflip
(I didn't see the motorbike he hit either) and just happened to land on his head. Apparently he did
break his hip, out for 45 days.--Shayana Kadidal

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Mr. G. Boff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shayana Kadidal" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/diaries/floyd/?id=floyd0311
> > >
> > > Floyd rules.--Shayana Kadidal
> >
> > Yea, I appreciate Floyd's comments, but I think he got the Durand thing wrong. Sure, Durand may
> > have been a bit of a jerk and presumptuous with
> his
> > protest, yet he was not *****ing at the riders for leaving his protest
> early
> > and was actually laughing and being silly as they rode away. It should be on OLN's Summer
> > Sportszone soon and you can judge for yourself. I think Landis misrepresents Durand and his
> > actions in the column.
>

> So how do you explain Durand's weaving before running into the motorbike?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Shayana
Kadidal) wrote:

> BTW, what an odd looking crash! On TV it looked like Durand spontaneously decided to do a backflip
> (I didn't see the motorbike he hit either) and just happened to land on his head. Apparently he
> did break his hip, out for 45 days.--Shayana Kadidal

Yeah. It's a shame he wasn't wearing a helmet. It surely could have prevented the hip injury.

Mandatory body armor laws,

"Mr. G. Bufoon" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Yea, I appreciate Floyd's comments, but I think he got the Durand thing wrong. Sure, Durand may
> have been a bit of a jerk and presumptuous with his protest, yet he was not *****ing at the riders
> for leaving his protest early and was actually laughing and being silly as they rode away. It
> should be on OLN's Summer Sportszone soon and you can judge for yourself. I think Landis
> misrepresents Durand and his actions in the column.

Sure. You're an expert after watching 2 minutes coverage on tv, and you think know more about it
than Floyd who is there and hearing comments by all the other riders. Sheesh.

NS