Floyd Landis - The Latest News

greatlakeshsa

Jul 28, 2006
First off if Floyd is guilty, he should never race again. Now back to story/facts

1. Landis did not test positive for high levels of testosterone.

1A He did test positive for low levels of epitestosterone

2. If Landis used testosterone, his levels would be higher, not normal

3. If Landis took some sort of tesosterone or steriod, they can perform
an advanced carbon test to determine if the levels were natural or
synthetic.

4. If Landis wanted to benefit from illegal drugs, they wouldn't be testosterone as it has almost no benefit if you take it a day before a race.

I put together a special page that links audio comments from:
Phil Liggett,
Lance armstrong,
Greg Lemond,
Floyd's press conference from Spain and
his phone interview from the other day.

As more information comes out, I will update the page. Again, if he really did take something, it is a sad day for cycling and sport. If the test is proved wrong, it is still a sad day for all involved.

http://greatlakeshsa.com/landis.htm

I doubt anyone remembers this case, from 1998 - but the athlete was found NOT GUILTY!!!

The United States has not won an Olympic bobsled medal since 1956. At the past two Winter Games, Brian Shimer has arrived with high hopes as a driver but, four years ago, he never even made it to the finish line.

At the 1998 Winter Games, Shimer faces yet another obstacle, this one having nothing to do with his driving skills, but rather with what he feels is his impugned reputation.

After a race on the World Cup circuit in November, a urine sample of Shimer's showed a ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone above the generally acceptable level for men of 6 to 1. Anything above that is considered suspicious of possible use of testosterone, the male sex hormone, as a muscle-building anabolic steroid. Epitestosterone is a related chemical with no known function that is used as a marker in drug tests.

Upon arriving in Nagano, Shimer was cleared of any doping violation by the international bobsled federation after extensive analysis of his drug test. Today, Shimer said he naturally possessed low levels of epitestosterone. In a tearful reading of a statement, he said, ''I have never taken steroids,'' and ''I have never cheated in competition.''

While his exoneration has not repaired his hurt and embarrassment, Shimer said, ''I do think it is the time to toughen up and hurdle one more obstacle to attain our team dream of winning a medal.''

FROM FEB 1998

The U.S. Olympic Committee recently appointed a panel of drug testing experts to study the T/E test and try to find better tests.

IOC officials announced this week they will study a new method of testosterone detection believed to be far superior to the current method, with the hope of putting it into use soon after these Games. While the current tests — the ones Shimer and Slaney underwent — cannot differentiate between external and natural testosterone, the new carbon isotope machine reportedly can. It will be used here in Nagano.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/olympics1998/sport/bobsled/articles/shimer4.htm

U.S. Olympic Committee officials complained at the time of Slaney's tests that the T/E system of detection was error-plagued and called for the International Olympic Committee to either develop a foolproof test or remove testosterone from the banned list. The IOC agreed and will use carbon isotope tests for testosterone for the first time at these games.

AGAIN FROM 1998 - Question why do they still use this test in cycling when 8 years ago, the IOC concluded the test is worthless

Did you hear the name of the technician at the Test Lab?

His name is Prince Ali Bin Roydin ;)

I don't see what is the big deal here, Santiago Botero was able to prove high natural levels of testosterone back in 1999, if Landis is clean he would be able to prove it..:rolleyes:

Imback said:
I don't see what is the big deal here, Santiago Botero was able to prove high natural levels of testosterone back in 1999, if Landis is clean he would be able to prove it..:rolleyes:
And we all know how clean botero was :p .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul31news

Bad news folks!! Apparently some lab in Montreal did an isotope test on Landis A sample and revealed that Landis "deficit of epitestosterone" has some exogenous testosterone on it!! :eek: Damn it, I knew he was in a "roid rage" when he crossed the line in Morzine. It seems that Pereiro is about to grab the yellow jersey!! What an exciting Tour!! A few weeks later away from the last stage and the battle is far from over!!

Wait a minute, the lab technician is French (Canadian) and we all know how french people hate lance, french canadian=french they hate lance=american=landis...so french canadians hate landis, I guess they probably sabotaged landis sample...He has to be clean...;)

When Santiago Botero managed to prove he had high testosterone levels in 1999, while he was a member of the Kelme team, the team doctor who provided the proof was Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes, the Spanish gynaecologist at the heart of the Operación Puerto investigation.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2006/testosterone_testing

Great article on cycling news. This case gets more interesting by the day - translation - there really isn't any new news, so the rumor mill is turning.

After we finally find out the truth, it will be interesting to go back and read the rumor articles claiming he was all doped up or clean as an alter boy. Sadly, I just don't know who to believe anymore - in any sport. One of my friends had a great comment this weekend, "why don't they let cycling take whatever they want? If everyone is on drugs they everyone has the same advantage!"

Results of the B test won't be announced today (Monday). L'quipe will scope everyone and publish the results first on Tuesday morning.

Just my guess;-)

All this doesn't bode well for Landis. His goose may indeed be cooked. Especially the rumor about exogenous testosterone in sample A.

Of course he'll deny it. But if it is true, what the hell was he thinking?

I figure he was doping all the way through the tour. The idea of roid rage on that one stage is really silly. Testosterone, or any steroid, won't lead to roid rage in a few hours, it takes days/weeks to come on. Also, roid rage is rare and almost anyone who experiences it has those tendencies normally anyway.

What I don't understand is how this happened? Whoever administered the stuff knew to also administer enough epitest together with test to keep the ratios right. Some Dr. screwed up.

I read somewhere that growth hormone will lead to a weird ratio of test/epitest which I think is more likely under the circumstances of that day and the day prior. However if a test shows exogenous test I'm not surprised. They are all probably being enhanced up to the limit that would result in a test failure.

Get your facts straight. The lab in Montreal was not involved in any test. Only the same old suspect French lab which leaked the 1999 Lance EPO news and then refused to participate in the investigation (as if that's not a tell-tale sign of mischief).

Repeatedly leaking news to L'Equipe is evidence of their bias. If they can't follow the rules of confidentiality and continue to leak news before it should be published, who's to say that the respect any of the testing protocols or chain of custody of the samples.

Someone should investigate the lab IMO! That's right, someone did but they refused to cooperate. I wonder why :rolleyes:

jyeager said:
I figure he was doping all the way through the tour. The idea of roid rage on that one stage is really silly. Testosterone, or any steroid, won't lead to roid rage in a few hours, it takes days/weeks to come on. Also, roid rage is rare and almost anyone who experiences it has those tendencies normally anyway.

What I don't understand is how this happened? Whoever administered the stuff knew to also administer enough epitest together with test to keep the ratios right. Some Dr. screwed up.

I read somewhere that growth hormone will lead to a weird ratio of test/epitest which I think is more likely under the circumstances of that day and the day prior. However if a test shows exogenous test I'm not surprised. They are all probably being enhanced up to the limit that would result in a test failure.
The roid rage was a joke ..duh :p ..As for the steroids, it alll depends on the ester attached to it, a long carbon such as the one usually found in the decanoate (used for nandrolone) takes several days, but some other fast acting esters such as propionate take a lot less, some other anabolics come in suspension form (stanazolol or testosterone suspension) and they can get the effects in hours.

Anyway, I agree that they should let them use whatever they want and quit the hipocresy. I really don't give a **** if Mr. Landis, Gonchar, etc. is time trialing 62kph with an 75 hematocrit and a heart the size of a watermelon. But I am really sick of "guilty" riders being expelled from the races without even testing positive only to find out a few years later that the "clean" one are not really clean. In my opinion, they are all walking pharmacies.

Imback said:
The roid rage was a joke ..duh :p ..As for the steroids, it alll depends on the ester attached to it, a long carbon such as the one usually found in the decanoate (used for nandrolone) takes several days, but some other fast acting esters such as propionate take a lot less, some other anabolics come in suspension form (stanazolol or testosterone suspension) and they can get the effects in hours.

Anyway, I agree that they should let them use whatever they want and quit the hipocresy. I really don't give a **** if Mr. Landis, Gonchar, etc. is time trialing 62kph with an 75 hematocrit and a heart the size of a watermelon. But I am really sick of "guilty" riders being expelled from the races without even testing positive only to find out a few years later that the "clean" one are not really clean. In my opinion, they are all walking pharmacies.
Didn't realize that was a joke, but the comment still applies to others. I heard Phil Ligget making a point to describe the look on Landis' face as he finished that stage. He was clearly implying roid rage.
As for the esther, I'm pretty sure these guys would use test suspension so that they can take the max amount of test and have their levels back to normal values by the time they get tested. At least during the tour when they are prone to being tested at any time.
As for getting the results in a few hours...well the beneficial results of test are really secondary...primarily increased protein synthesis. This really builds up over time and takes a few days to really get rolling.
That's why I don't think it makes any sense that he just took test the day before to turn him in to superman on the next stage.

I think I actually concur in regard to your last paragraph.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/sports/othersports/01landis.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Tests performed on the cyclist Floyd Landis’s initial urine sample showed that some of the testosterone in his body had come from an external source and was not produced by his system, according to a person at the International Cycling Union with knowledge of the results.

That finding contradicts what Landis has claimed in his defense since the disclosure last week that he had tested positive for an elevated ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone during the Tour de France.