Floyd Landis Wins 17th stage in a sprint finish!!

Big V wrote:

> ah, he can dream, right?

Ullrich to set up Kloden for the stage win. 4km to go.

Armstrong ........... Landis got 5th.

Sounded like he was being set up for the win, but Kloden attacked with 1 k to go ........ and that blew him up.

On 22-Jul-2004, Daremo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Armstrong ........... Landis got 5th.
>
> Sounded like he was being set up for the win, but Kloden attacked with
> 1 k to go ........ and that blew him up.

I thought for sure Ulrich would get anyone who chased Kloden...looked like
perfect team tactics for a T-Mobile win. But Ulrich, a good sprinter, just
couldnt hold Armstrongs wheel over the last 300m. I wonder if Kloden even
saw Lance coming.

steve
--
"A man was severely injured today in the Knutsford area."

Benny Hill

<<
Ullrich to set up Kloden for the stage win. 4km to go. >>

best cyclist wins

"steve" wrote...

> I thought for sure Ulrich would get anyone who chased Kloden...looked like
> perfect team tactics for a T-Mobile win. But Ulrich, a good sprinter,

just
> couldnt hold Armstrongs wheel over the last 300m. I wonder if Kloden even
> saw Lance coming.

Kloden didn't appear to blow. He just sat up. He relaxed too early and
Lance caught him sleeping. Kloden gave that stage to Lance, gift wrapped.

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "steve" wrote...
> >
> > I thought for sure Ulrich would get anyone who chased Kloden...looked

like
> > perfect team tactics for a T-Mobile win. But Ulrich, a good sprinter,

> just
> > couldnt hold Armstrongs wheel over the last 300m. I wonder if Kloden

even
> > saw Lance coming.

> Kloden didn't appear to blow. He just sat up. He relaxed too early and
> Lance caught him sleeping. Kloden gave that stage to Lance, gift wrapped.

Agree. You don't look around twice in the last 150m unless you're Petacchi
(or the Cipo of old). That was painful to watch.

Jeff

[email protected] (Gingerale392) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <<
> Ullrich to set up Kloden for the stage win. 4km to go. >>
>
> best cyclist wins

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/?id=results/stage17

taken from above link at www.cyclingnews.com:

Armstrong continued his praise for Landis, who showed his strength and
determination today in the Tour. "He is riding super; he's a great
teammate and he's given everything. Today was the best day I've ever
seen from Floyd and I've had some fast guys ride tempo on the climbs.
Floyd seems to be getting better and better every day. And today is
his best day ever. That's why I really wanted him to win the stage.
For me, he deserved the win and for that matter, I should dedicate the
stage win to him, because he deserved it. I think he wanted it and
needed it. I asked him (on the final climb) 'how bad do you wanna win
a stage in the Tour de France? And he said 'real bad'. I said 'how
fast can you go downhill' and he said 'I go downhill real fast' and he
said 'can I do it?' and I said 'sure you can do it; run like you stole
something, Floyd.' And Jan chased him down."

For his part, Floyd returned the props for Lance today post-stage.
Landis explained that, "Lance tried to let me win today but Ullrich
didn't want me to win, so Lance won. Ha! Which is better
anyway...whatever. Lance let me go on the descent he wanted to try and
let me win the stage, but Ullrich was having none of it."

Jeff Jones wrote:

> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>"steve" wrote...
>>
>>>I thought for sure Ulrich would get anyone who chased Kloden...looked

> like
>
>>>perfect team tactics for a T-Mobile win. But Ulrich, a good sprinter,

>>just
>>
>>>couldnt hold Armstrongs wheel over the last 300m. I wonder if Kloden

> even
>
>>>saw Lance coming.

>>Kloden didn't appear to blow. He just sat up. He relaxed too early and
>>Lance caught him sleeping. Kloden gave that stage to Lance, gift wrapped.
>>

> Agree. You don't look around twice in the last 150m unless you're Petacchi
> (or the Cipo of old). That was painful to watch.
>
> Jeff

Their best shot, to date, at a stage win and Kloden pulls out his pillow
and takes a nap in the last few metres. Walter must have had kittens.

Stewart Fleming wrote:

> Big V wrote:
>
>> ah, he can dream, right?
>>

> Ullrich to set up Kloden for the stage win. 4km to go.

"We had arranged things between us about five km from the line: I would
mark Floyd Landis and Andi would try to ward off Lance. It was perfectly
set up. When "Klödi" attacked like a bat out of hell, opening up a gap
of 60, 70 metres back to us, then I thought to myself: He has it in the
bag!"
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul23news

Damn, I'm good.
Don't blame Andreas for looking round...he did a double-take like he
couldn't believe what he was seeing....