Floyd Landis Wins Tour De France 2006 for U.S.A.!

BikeLBK.com

Jul 3, 2005
FLOYD LANDIS WINS TOUR DE FRANCE!

8 TDF VICTORIES IN A ROW FOR THE

U.S.A.!

usa_cycling.jpg

LANCE ARMSTRONG 1999 - 2005
_848804_lance_armstrong300.jpg

FLOYD LANDIS 2006!

40825_PHONAK_LANDIS_PARIS_NICE_09.jpg

USA USA USA

There was me thinking they'd got rid of National Teams for the tour a long time ago, and he'd won it for Phonak :eek:

Dead Star said:
There was me thinking they'd got rid of National Teams for the tour a long time ago, and he'd won it for Phonak :eek:

Are they going to be flying the Phonak flag or playing the Phonak anthem when he's on the podium?

USA BABY!!!

Oh geez. Do we really need this thread? I can see it going downhill real fast.

thebluetrain said:
LOL, me to. :D Shjould be entertaining.
Great win by a great rider.
Did everyone notice Bernard Hinault and Eddy Merckx on either side of Floys as he got the jersey.
I think the organizers are trying to keep the race about the muck and mire of the recent controversy and good for them.
Axel deserves a special prize of distinction for the way he rode for FLoys and helped him on 2 critical days-the Alpe and the Bonk.

bobke said:
Great win by a great rider.
Did everyone notice Bernard Hinault and Eddy Merckx on either side of Floys as he got the jersey.
I think the organizers are trying to keep the race about the muck and mire of the recent controversy and good for them.
Axel deserves a special prize of distinction for the way he rode for FLoys and helped him on 2 critical days-the Alpe and the Bonk.

Can you imagine how the team was feeling after stage 16? Then for the next 3 days to unfold has been nothing short of magical. This tour has been ripe for the picking for so many riders and finally someone, Floyd, shows what the heart of a champion is made of.

And lets not kid ourselves on could of's and should of's. On stage 17 Phonak assasinated themselves on the first climb and isolated Floyd and all the other main contenders together. Then Floyd simply rode them off his wheel and pulled away. All of the other main contenders went back to the shelter of the peloton and hid until the last climb.

If Periero, Sastra, Kloden, Menchov etc. wanted to win the tour then they should have stayed on Floyd's wheel. Either they couldn't, or didn't have the guts or determination to think they could stay away for so long.

Fantastic racing from Floyd.

Powerful.
Calculated.
Conservative.
Tragic.
and HEROIC!

All in one race.

But I'm saving the champagne for Paris.

Durangodave said:
Fantastic racing from Floyd.

Powerful.
Calculated.
Conservative.
Tragic.
and HEROIC!

All in one race.

But I'm saving the champagne for Paris.

For its strange start, this tour has finished with a bang and is one of the most exciting tours I've watched in a while. I like the champagne idea. Champagne and OJ for breakfast with Phonak and Landis leading stage 20 onto the Champs. What could be better.

...for a tour dismissed as being less mountainous than in the days of "l.a."; for a tour which started with so many ignominious withdrawals; this has been a tour i will long remember. finally, some swashbuckling attacks, devil take all sprints to the line, heated competition for all four jerseys, no respect shown throughout the peloton for any rider, team tactics (and some egregious ones, too) to keep the attention held, and the bow to the historical heroes of merckx & hinault. sure i'm falling for the sentimental, but, damn, what a great show.

chapeau, floyd!
chapeau, tour de france!

acjaz said:
Are they going to be flying the Phonak flag or playing the Phonak anthem when he's on the podium?

USA BABY!!!

No, but Landis will be wearing a Phonak jersey.

This is about cycling and I'm sick of it always coming back to idiot nationalism. Floyd won the Tour. Good for him, he deserved it and I wanted him to win, and not of course partially because he is my country man.

By my goodness this "Go USA" stuff is boring.

tcklyde said:
This is about cycling and I'm sick of it always coming back to idiot nationalism.
He is Serb, you know...
Branimir Mitrovic Floyd Landisovic.
Our member Virenque should know what I'm talking about:D :D :D

tcklyde said:
By my goodness this "Go USA" stuff is boring.
I am soooo looking forward to the day, when popular awareness of cycling in the USA does not depend on an American winning the tour.

But the attention paid to cycling in the American media over the last few years has been unparalleled. As a young racing fan in the early 80s I NEVER would have thought that the most famous athlete in the counrty would be a cyclist.

Durangodave said:
I am soooo looking forward to the day, when popular awareness of cycling in the USA does not depend on an American winning the tour.

But the attention paid to cycling in the American media over the last few years has been unparalleled. As a young racing fan in the early 80s I NEVER would have thought that the most famous athlete in the counrty would be a cyclist.
I also think Lance's popularity though is due to him winning over cancer and all the work he does for his cancer foundation. Contrast that to the a guy like Barry Bonds who is also an exceptional athlete, but is an asshole to fans and the media and I think you can see why Americans like Lance so much. Even the OLN commentators noted the steep decline in American fan presence in france this year