Floyd Landis Wins Tour De France 2006 for U.S.A.!

I'm pretty sure Floyd won it for himself, not for the USA. Just a guess.

And as for media attention here in the States, it's almost zero.

Oh, great. The nationalistic wankers crawl out from under their rocks. The same fair weather asses who were convinced Hincapie was going to win the Tour, never supported Landis because he had dared to tell their idol Armstrong to stick it, and only switched to supporting him after the whole Discovery team crashed and burned.

Why don't you take your contemptible attitude back to Texas.

this is interesting. i'm very proud that a fellow american won. however, i'm not going to brag about it and rub it in the noses of my fellow cycling fans. if floyd had been out of it and levi had still been sucking i really wouldn't have wanted another american to win just for the sake of having a countryman win.

btw, how badly would it have ticked off the french if a italian would have won after having taken the world cup from them? :p

also, i'm hoping floyd can be an good ambassador between the france and the us. i'm sick of the whole "boo hoo...the french don't like us." i'm sure if we held a worldwide football championship in our country every year and didn't win for years we'd be a bit sensitive also.

Well, there's this FoxSports.com headline - "Landis helps America conquer France ... again."

After 8 years in yellow, it kind of writes itself.

rule62 said:
Well, there's this FoxSports.com headline - "Landis helps America conquer France ... again."

hmmm....i guess you could take it that they mean he conquered the mtns and flats of the country.

cheapie said:
this is interesting. i'm very proud that a fellow american won. however, i'm not going to brag about it and rub it in the noses of my fellow cycling fans. if floyd had been out of it and levi had still been sucking i really wouldn't have wanted another american to win just for the sake of having a countryman win.

btw, how badly would it have ticked off the french if a italian would have won after having taken the world cup from them? :p

also, i'm hoping floyd can be an good ambassador between the france and the us. i'm sick of the whole "boo hoo...the french don't like us." i'm sure if we held a worldwide football championship in our country every year and didn't win for years we'd be a bit sensitive also.

Just caught Landis being interviewed on Eurosport.

The more I hear this guy talking, the more I like him (not that I was ever anti-FL, I was indifferent to him to be honest).

He comes across really very well - and he's not shy about saying how well he did (which is fine), but he is magnanimous to his rivals.
Pereiro came up to him and congratulated him warmly.
I like the guy - and he's a bloody good cyclist too.

I am disappointed to see that Robby Hunter won't be able to join the team to Paris. It really stinks for him.

tvaughn said:
I am disappointed to see that Robby Hunter won't be able to join the team to Paris. It really stinks for him.
Knowing his reputation, I am sure he'll be at the party after though.
He'll probably ride on the car and say stupid things to people while handing out the champagne.

Y'know, it is apparently quite a logistical nightmare to prepare the champagne and plastic flutes and get it all done in time for the race to actually happen. Good luck to Phonal soigneurs!!

BikeLBK.com said:
FLOYD LANDIS WINS TOUR DE FRANCE!

8 TDF VICTORIES IN A ROW FOR THE

U.S.A.!

usa_cycling.jpg

LANCE ARMSTRONG 1999 - 2005
_848804_lance_armstrong300.jpg

FLOYD LANDIS 2006!

40825_PHONAK_LANDIS_PARIS_NICE_09.jpg

USA USA USA

Curious how we Europeans regard you yankees as a touch brash in victory isn't it? Clearly it has nothing to do with your response to victory so i wonder why it is....

I'm a pround American and all, but this is just a bit over the top considering Floyd will probably get little to no coverage here in the USA unless he becomes a spokeperson for Hip replacement surgury. LOL

BikeLBK.com said:
FLOYD LANDIS WINS TOUR DE FRANCE!

8 TDF VICTORIES IN A ROW FOR THE

U.S.A.!

usa_cycling.jpg

LANCE ARMSTRONG 1999 - 2005
_848804_lance_armstrong300.jpg

FLOYD LANDIS 2006!

40825_PHONAK_LANDIS_PARIS_NICE_09.jpg

USA USA USA
Floyd won for himself and the team.

tiogar said:
Curious how we Europeans regard you yankees as a touch brash in victory isn't it? Clearly it has nothing to do with your response to victory so i wonder why it is....
ITS AMAZING YOU SAY THAT? WHEN I WATCH THE TOUR DE FRANCE, I SEE THOUSANDS OF EUROPEAN FLAGS ALONG THE STAGES! ARE THEY ROOTING FOR THE U.S.A.????

Look how the French celebrate the loss in the World Cup!

Clicky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOf1JEf3K0Y

Yes look how the English Celebrate the loss in the World Cup!

Clicky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRN4syrDIdk

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

BikeLBK.com said:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What has the 51st state got to do with europe my friend? Isn't their prime minister your assistant foreign minister or something? or maybe it's that he lives in a kennel on the white house lawn. something like that anyway.

For all those who say this is over the top praise for the USA, when a rider from any other country wins, I guarantee they will be mass celebration throughout their respective country. In the USA however it will be ho hum. No parades or celebration except maybe in the cyclists home town. All we in the states get is the internet and a few videos of the flag flying in Paris. We'll be lucky to get 2 minutes on sportscenter. Can you imagine if a Basque rider would win, things would go nuts there.

Nationalistic indeed, what do you think the Wolrd Cup is all about?

BikeLBK.com said:
ITS AMAZING YOU SAY THAT? WHEN I WATCH THE TOUR DE FRANCE, I SEE THOUSANDS OF EUROPEAN FLAGS ALONG THE STAGES! ARE THEY ROOTING FOR THE U.S.A.????

Look how the French celebrate the loss in the World Cup!

Clicky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOf1JEf3K0Y

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

after 4 weeks of that remarkably boring and tedious sport please don't ask me to open another soccer thread. thankfully the snoozefest comes round only once in four years. not being funny butfor taedium quotient only the Superbowl comes close to the Zizz cup final.