Floyd must've bonked

"trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Keith" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...
> | >According to Floyd, it wasn't a bonk. Leipheimer Syndrome?
> | >
> | >« Merci d'être venus si nombreux, c'est sympa », a déclaré Landis aux
> | >journalistes qui se pressaient à son hôtel. « Malheureusement, je n'ai
> pas
> | >d'explications. J'ai vécu une mauvaise journée, je n'ai pas été bien de
> | >toute l'étape ».
> | >

> | >Le chef de file de l'équipe Phonak a rejeté l'hypothèse de la fringale
> qui
> | >avait été avancée dans un premier temps à son sujet.
> | >

> | >« Je reste en course. Si je peux, je vais me battre », a ajouté Landis
> qui a
> | >eu quelques mots à l'attention du nouveau leader, l'Espagnol Oscar
> Pereiro,
> | >son ancien coéquipier : « C'est un ami. J'aime autant que ce soit
> | >lui ».(AFP)
> |
> | Nice words, true class, one can only imagine what UberAssHole would
> | have said in his place, pour pick:
> | - brake rubbing all day long
> | - I lost 25kg on the Mollard
> | - Kloden didn't wait for me
> | - I was waiting for Ullrich
> | - Not enough oil on chain
> | - Perrero pushed me
> | - Leppy"s wife scared me
> | - Sheryl Crow told me this morning she wrote a song for me
> | - etc...
>
> Pereiro also showed a lot of class.
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/tour06/?id=/riders/2006/interviews/oscar_pereiro_tdf206
> Q: You know Floyd very well. Did you have any sign during the stage that
> Floyd might not have a good day? Are you shocked at how severely he
> cracked
> today?
>
> OP: I didn't realize this until the very last climb to La Toussuire. I'm
> really sad for him, as I honestly would have liked to see him up front at
> the Tour. I don't know what happened to him. Maybe he had a hunger knock,
> don't know. But I can assure you that I would never would have been the
> first to attack him; he's a friend. Thanks to him, I rode the Tour before,
> and I owe a lot to Phonak.

Pereiro and Landis are much too nice to each other. To win the Tour you
better be a mean *******. They should take an example to Jacques Anquetil.
"Jacques, Poulidor has said that is prepared to help you to become world
champion. What is your reaction?" "My reaction is that Poulidor is even more
stupid than I thought."

Benjo

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:04:18 -0700, "Mark Fennell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>> What other explanation is there for cracking that badly?

>Agreed. But if so, it boggles the mind that the DS, et. al., didn't keep him
>fueled and hydrated adequately. It's always surprising to me when a top pro
>on a top team bonks. Perhaps it was too difficult to get to/from the car
>today on those technical roads. Plus almost no teammates around as Axel was
>in and out of contact. Bummer.

I remember reading (in Cycle-Sport, I think) some stuff from Tyler
Hamilton about how hard it is to stay fueled up during the hard
mountain stages, due to pressure on the climbs and the need for
superbe concentration on the descents. Hamilton said he would take
notes during his recon to plan where to eat. Perhaps Phonak/Landis
weren't that thorough?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Keith wrote:
>>According to Floyd, it wasn't a bonk. Leipheimer Syndrome?
>>
>>« Merci d'être venus si nombreux, c'est sympa », a déclaré Landis aux
>>journalistes qui se pressaient à son hôtel. « Malheureusement, je n'ai pas
>>d'explications. J'ai vécu une mauvaise journée, je n'ai pas été bien de
>>toute l'étape ».
>>
>>Le chef de file de l'équipe Phonak a rejeté l'hypothèse de la fringale qui
>>avait été avancée dans un premier temps à son sujet.
>>
>>« Je reste en course. Si je peux, je vais me battre », a ajouté Landis qui a
>>eu quelques mots à l'attention du nouveau leader, l'Espagnol Oscar Pereiro,
>>son ancien coéquipier : « C'est un ami. J'aime autant que ce soit
>>lui ».(AFP)

> Nice words, true class, one can only imagine what UberAssHole would
> have said in his place, pour pick:
> - brake rubbing all day long
> - I lost 25kg on the Mollard
> - Kloden didn't wait for me
> - I was waiting for Ullrich
> - Not enough oil on chain
> - Perrero pushed me
> - Leppy"s wife scared me
> - Sheryl Crow told me this morning she wrote a song for me
> - etc...

Hm, I seem to recall Herr Armstrong admitting to bonking in 2003
because he skipped his food in the feed zone.

~bob

Mike Iglesias wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
>>What other explanation is there for cracking that badly?

> From cyclingnews.com:
> "I had a bad day on the wrong day," a disappointed Landis said in a
> press conference, several hours after Oscar Pereiro (Caisse d’Epargne
> – Illes Balears) took back the jersey he relinquished yesterday. "The
> team did a good job in the beginning; I suffered from the beginning
> but I tried to hide it... In the end, I couldn't go. I don't think it
> was a problem with not eating enough; like I said, I wasn't good from
> the beginning."
>
> The American knew he very probably lost the Tour de France today. "My
> chance to win the Tour is very small at this point, but I'm gonna
> fight, because you never know what's going to happen next," he added,
> on a more positive note. "I think I did everything I could do to win
> this Tour. I'd change this day if I could, but I don't know what I
> would have done differently. So I can't say I regret anything I did."

Floyd is too classy to ever blame his teammates, but I really think
it's shameful how they keep leaving him hanging out to dry all the
time... Axel seems like the only Phonak guy around to help him these
past couple of days. He looked like he buried himself for Floyd
yesterday on l'Alpe d'Huez, just what he was supposed to be doing.

Gotta hand it to Floyd, though; he's a master thespian. I don't think
anybody had any idea he was having a bad day until he blew up
completely.

~bob

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> What other explanation is there for cracking that badly?

I blame it on Bobke, Phil and Paul--when they were doubting Landis,
Floyd proved them wrong.

Then when they started talking about the French being annoyed about 8
years of American domination, Floyd proved them wrong.

Hopefully the talk will switch back to being against Floyd and he'll do
something "very special" tomorrow and in the final TT.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

benjo maso wrote:
> Pereiro and Landis are much too nice to each other. To win the Tour you
> better be a mean *******. They should take an example to Jacques Anquetil.
> "Jacques, Poulidor has said that is prepared to help you to become world
> champion. What is your reaction?" "My reaction is that Poulidor is even more
> stupid than I thought."

What, I thought this was a 'sport of honor'. Next they'll be hanging onto
motorbikes.

trg wrote:
> "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> sCtvg.14563$Nv.12331@fed1read10...
> | Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> | > What other explanation is there for cracking that badly?
> |
> | Agreed. But if so, it boggles the mind that the DS, et. al., didn't keep
> him
> | fueled and hydrated adequately. It's always surprising to me when a top
> pro
> | on a top team bonks. Perhaps it was too difficult to get to/from the car
> | today on those technical roads. Plus almost no teammates around as Axel
> was
> | in and out of contact. Bummer.
> |
> He wasn't going well from the start. You usually have to have ridden a bit
> before you can bonk..

He bonked yesterday. Today proves it to me.

"Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
3DOvg.14602$Nv.9890@fed1read10...
| trg wrote:
| > "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
| > sCtvg.14563$Nv.12331@fed1read10...
| > |
| > | Agreed. But if so, it boggles the mind that the DS, et. al., didn't
keep
| > him
| > | fueled and hydrated adequately. It's always surprising to me when a
top
| > pro
| > | on a top team bonks. Perhaps it was too difficult to get to/from the
car
| > | today on those technical roads. Plus almost no teammates around as
Axel
| > was
| > | in and out of contact. Bummer.
| > |
| > He wasn't going well from the start. You usually have to have ridden a
bit
| > before you can bonk..
|
| He bonked yesterday. Today proves it to me.

Now you just have to convice Landis that he bonked.

Personally I think it was a combination. A "jour sans", which he felt from
the start, and then a bonk.

trg wrote:
> "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 3DOvg.14602$Nv.9890@fed1read10...
> | trg wrote:
> | > "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
> | > sCtvg.14563$Nv.12331@fed1read10...
> | > |
> keep
> | > him
> top
> | > pro
> car
> Axel
> | > was
> | > |
> | > He wasn't going well from the start. You usually have to have ridden a
> bit
> | > before you can bonk..
> |
> | He bonked yesterday. Today proves it to me.
> |

> Now you just have to convice Landis that he bonked.
>
> Personally I think it was a combination. A "jour sans", which he felt from
> the start, and then a bonk.

You are probably correct, but here's my theory... He wasn't having a great
day and the difficulty of the climbs and the technical roads made it hard to
get food and water, so he did indeed bonk on the last climb. In the
post-race interview, he didn't want admit it because, as is often the case,
you can follow a bonk with an exceptional ride the next day. He even
suggested his chances for gc were over. That's exactly what he wanted the
others to think, and that's how they rode today for the early part of his
break. It was too late by the time they realized how good his legs were
today. Also, it was interesting to see how he ramped the power up on each
successive climb to avoid causing the panic too early. Brilliant plan if
there's any truth to it.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

<snip>
> That was a huge bonk. It takes days or even weeks to recover from
> that. No way is he going to be in contention again. He's done. He'll
> be lucky to hold onto a top 10 overall.

You mean "It takes days or even weeks to recover from that without using
drugs" right?

--
Bill Asher

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:58:33 -0700, "Mark Fennell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>trg wrote:
>> "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> sCtvg.14563$Nv.12331@fed1read10...
>> |
>> | Agreed. But if so, it boggles the mind that the DS, et. al., didn't keep
>> him
>> | fueled and hydrated adequately. It's always surprising to me when a top
>> pro
>> | on a top team bonks. Perhaps it was too difficult to get to/from the car
>> | today on those technical roads. Plus almost no teammates around as Axel
>> was
>> | in and out of contact. Bummer.
>> |
>> He wasn't going well from the start. You usually have to have ridden a bit
>> before you can bonk..

>He bonked yesterday.

That was a huge bonk. It takes days or even weeks to recover from
that. No way is he going to be in contention again. He's done. He'll
be lucky to hold onto a top 10 overall.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

dAMN I MUST HAVE HAD CRYSTAL BALL!

cat6 said:
He just did not had enough DOPING!

Funny how no one ever mentiones that they STILL DOPE in the TDF...