    john Guest

    The Calgary Sun: Flu shot suspect in death

    http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-01-06-0004.html

    Tuesday, January 6, 2004

    Flu shot suspect in death

    By BILL KAUFMANN, CALGARY SUN

    The grieving family of a 22-month-old Calgary girl who died mysteriously are
    wondering if the tot suffered a fatal reaction to a flu vaccination.

    Relatives say on Dec. 30, Emma Bealing came down with a high fever, then
    suffered multiple seizures and died Sunday night at the Alberta Children's
    Hospital after her parents consented to unhook their daughter from life support.

    "She died in her dad's (Douglas's) arms," said Emma's aunt, Joanne Bealing,
    yesterday.

    Said Anthony Bealing, Emma's uncle: "No parent should have to decide how
    their child dies."

    The seizures "came out of the blue" said the uncle, adding Emma was placed on
    life support last Tuesday.

    Her brain, he said, subsequently experienced severe swelling consistent with
    the condition Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM).

    Along with bacterial or viral infections, ADEM can be caused by a severe
    response to inoculation -- a reaction that can lie dormant for two to three weeks.

    Seizures are one symptom of an adverse reaction to inoculation, according to
    the Canadian Medical Association.

    A family member said the girl had received a flu vaccination about a month
    ago.

    "(Vaccination as a cause) is only one theory we're looking at," said Anthony.

    "We wish the doctors did know for sure but they don't."

    He said Calgary Health Region officials told them an autopsy will be done to
    determine what led to the tragedy.

    The CHR wouldn't comment on the case.

    Douglas Bealing and his wife Maureen had overcome medical challenges to have
    both Emma and her older brother, Harrison, 6, said the girl's aunt, Joanne.

    "It's just extremely tragic -- this couldn't come to a more loving or
    undeserving little family," she said.

    "Emma had a good personality even at 22 months and a good sense of humour."

    She said the death that's shocked and devastated the family now has struck
    fear in her own household.

    "I have a six-year-old and I'm going to be paranoid with every little fever
    she has," said Joanne.

    Late last month, Jayden Tucker, 2, of Airdrie died after what might have been
    complications arising from the flu.

    Meanwhile, a three-year-old Nova Scotia girl died on the weekend from what
    health officials believe was the flu, the province's chief medical officer said
    yesterday.

    "It is rare for an otherwise healthy child to get severely ill with
    influenza," Dr. Jeff Scott said.

    So far this season, there have been three confirmed cases of the flu causing
    or contributing to the death of a child in Canada -- two in Ontario and one in
    British Columbia.

    To date, three other cases are under investigation.

    Tags:

  2. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    john <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The Calgary Sun: Flu shot suspect in death
    >
    >http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-01-06-0004.html
    >
    >Tuesday, January 6, 2004
    >
    >Flu shot suspect in death
    >
    >By BILL KAUFMANN, CALGARY SUN
    >

    >The grieving family of a 22-month-old Calgary girl who died mysteriously are
    >wondering if the tot suffered a fatal reaction to a flu vaccination.

    It's natural to wonder that, but I think the odds are against it.

    It was "about a month" after the vaccination that the child died.
    While it can happen that symptoms take that long to appear, usually
    they appear a lot sooner (a week or less). If someone dies of ADEM,
    it's ten times more likely to have been caused by a recent infection
    than a long-ago injection.

    Interestingly, two of the infections that can cause ADEM are rubella
    and chicken pox. John won't want to know that last fact, even though
    chickenpox may be the most common trigger, because he's sure it's
    harmless.

    >Seizures are one symptom of an adverse reaction to inoculation,
    >according to the Canadian Medical Association.

    But are rare with ADEM.

    >He said Calgary Health Region officials told them an autopsy will be
    >done to determine what led to the tragedy.

    If the vaccine is pronounced as not as fault, you won't hear it from
    John, other than maybe to denounce it as a lie.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)