Flu Shots

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by 64Paramount, Sep 26, 2010.

1. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Do any of you plan to get a flu shot this year?

I haven't had a flu shot in many many years, but I caught a cold this past week and since I haven't had a cold several years , it got me to thinking about getting a flu shot just to be safe.

I did some google searching this morning and it looks like I can get a flu shot at Walgreen's for $25.

Tags:

2. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

My wife and I got ours last season at Target for $15 at the time, this season they will be $24 since they include both strains of the seasonal virus and the H1N1, all in one shot. We were only able to get the H1N1 last season because they kept running out of the seasonal vaccine. We're planning on going there again since their pharmacy has given us much better service than others in the area.

64Paramount likes this.
  3. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I had always believed in not getting the shot, but I plan on getting one this year and have been considering going to one of the pharmacy chains for convenience.

I got the flu in the last week of 2009 and was not able to train for about 3 weeks because it lingered. At the worst point I had to go get chest x-rays to make sure I did not have pneumonia. It took another 3 or 4 weeks following that to get my training back up. After going through that horrible ordeal I will try a shot this year.

4. 64Paramount

I didn't realize Target did that, we have one of those very close to our house...

One of my brother-in-laws got the flu last year and then got pneumonia. He ended up in the hospital for over a week and really had a long recovery. It was pretty scary!

5. Koronin

Koronin New Member

I plan on getting one, just haven't done it yet.

6. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Quote:Originally Posted by 64Paramount . didn't realize Target did that, we have one of those very close to our house...

Yes, if your Target has a pharmacy they should be able to do that.

On a side note, the only thing about Target's pharmacy I'm not crazy about is that if you have a prescription filled by them and it has refills, if you don't opt out of their auto-refill system, they notify you that your refill is ready via robo-call from their corporate headquarters in Minnesota.

7. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Active Member

Until last year I had never got a flu shot - didn't see the value in it especially seeing as the vaccine companies have to guess at the strains that will be active so the vaccine doesn't protect against all of the strains.

But last year they came to my office so I got both the H1N1 and the regular shot all at once. My H1N1 arm was really sore and I felt pretty crappy for a few days afterwards but they did warn us that that might happen.

I expect they'll come to my office again and if so, I'll get the shot.

Plus - we don't pay anything for this.

8. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

I will be getting the Flu Vaccine at the wellness clinic sponsored by my employer next week. Last year was the first time I did not get the vaccine because they were trying to save money. They have admitted that it ended up costing them more to cover absences with overtime.

9. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I got the 3 in 1 flu shot about an hour ago at a CVS minute clinic. With insurance I did not have to pay for it, but the paper work says $29.95.

10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I'm 56 years old and I've NEVER had a flu shot, and I'm not about to start now. I admit, I have a weird mentality about this, but I believe your body has the ability to naturally become immune to flu's, If your in reasonable health a flu won't kill you, only those with weakened or compromised immune systems should worry about flu shots. I've had many flu's over the years and never took any thing to prevent future occurances.

I also had a brother-in-law that got the flu last year and then got pneumonia, but the guy was 48 last year, never worked out, and is about 80 pounds overweight. He was never hospitalized, just treated at a RediMed walkin clinic and given some meds and a breathing exercise thing and he recovered in 2 weeks.

And why are we still on the H1N1 shot when that particular strain is no longer around? Only 17,000 people world wide died from the flu in 2009...there are more people that die just in America from the non H1N1 flu every year, but these people are mostly over 70 with only about 75 children dying in any given year. World wide over 300,000 to 500,000 die each year to flu's that are not H1N1. Then the WHO declared the H1N1 flu to be over and no longer a threat in Aug of 2010, so why are they still giving out the shot? Why is the standard flu that kills far more people then the H1N1 not declared a pandemic but the H1N1 is?

What's really weird with ALL the above death numbers I gave, including the H1N1 is that NONE of the people that die from a supposedly flu symtom can even be verified that they died as a result of the flue!!!! And the H1N1 is impossible to ever get an accurate "confirmed" count of swine flu patients because the influenza virus isn't detectable after a short period of time. And of the numbers of deaths a year I gave, it's really unknown how many people die from the viral load vs. how many die from secondary infections such as bacterial pneumonia that often follow viral infections. Technically, a lot of those 36,000 people or so might have been killed by various strains of common bacteria and not by the viruses.

Now if your over 40 and are a high risk for heart attacks then getting flu shot is actually beneficial in that it can lower your risk of having a heart attack by about 19% and even higher to 21% if they got the shot early in the flu season. So there is a benefit to getting a flu shot if your at high risk for a heart attack, but I don't think anyone reading this is probably at a high risk of a heart attack.

11. davereo

More people die from the flu than the flu shot every year. I will take my chances with the flu shot.

12. 64Paramount

Are you feeling any affect from the shot? Yojimbo mentioned that he felt crappy for a few days afterwards...

13. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

No ill effects. I saw his post and I have heard others say the same so I was a little nervous.
    I trained last night as well at a fairly hard intensity and feel pretty good today.

14. SierraSlim

SierraSlim Active Member

Until last year I had never got a flu shot - didn't see the value in it especially seeing as the vaccine companies have to guess at the strains that will be active so the vaccine doesn't protect against all of the strains. Ahh, yes, but if you get that one strain, you'll be wishing you had taken the gamble, lol. Also, the problem is that they never know which strain might go pandemic and become deadly. And once it does, they'll run out of vaccines almost instantly and it will be too late to change your mind.

I hope you're right about the flu affecting only unhealthy people with poor immune systems. That would be me, right now, but I'm working hard to become not one of them.

Are you feeling any affect from the shot? Yojimbo mentioned that he felt crappy for a few days afterwards... I get a flu shot nearly every year because my immune system never works well. And, despite the doctors' insistence that the viruses are dead and can't affect you, I ALWAYS feel crappy for a few days afterward, like I have a mild case of what I was trying to avoid. Maybe it's the medium they put the dead virus in, I don't know. But I do know this -- I took the gamble last year, didn't get the shot, and GOT last year's nasty flu. It nearly killed me -- and there were several days when I would have been quite happy if it had. Not gonna make that mistake again this year; I'm getting the vaccine.

64Paramount likes this.
  15. 64Paramount

I got my flu shot about 2 hours ago, so I suppose it's too soon to know if I'm going to have any adverse effects from it.

I was very impressed with the lady that gave me the shot. I've had mosquito bites that stung worse... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

16. davereo

I just got mine this afternoon. The wellness clinic at work was pushed out one month so they could include a blood drive that was made available to every employer in the park. So I gave a pint and had the flu vaccine and now I am entered into two seperate drawings for Patriots tickets. If I win I may have to skip a Sunday ride.

17. 64Paramount

That would be cool to get free tickets to see the Patriots play.......unless they are for October 31st!

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

18. davereo

Nov 21 Indianapolis. First Brett had to return to NY now Randy has to return to NE. Who makes these schedules?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

19. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

I'm npt a fan of the flu vaccine. I have had it once and it was the worst year for flu's I have ever had. I think I get the flu maybe once every 3-4 years and on the year I got the vaccine I had it 3 times.

20. 64Paramount

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!

Edited to add: I hope you all beat Indy and I suspect you'll probably beat Minnesota too......but, I hope we win!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif