Flu Virus & Where??

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dude Love, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Dude Love

    Dude Love Guest

    Do you know where does the flu virus come from? Please don't tell me we get it from other people
    coughing, etc.. I mean how it comes to exist in the winter but not in the summer. How does the first
    person on earth to get the flu virus?? - from what source?

    Tags:

  2. "Dude Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do you know where does the flu virus come from? Please don't tell me we get it from other people
    > coughing, etc.. I mean how it comes to exist in the winter but not in the summer. How does the
    > first person on earth to get the flu virus?? - from what source?

    Nobody knows exactly where the influenza virus came from originally, but it has been around for a
    very long time. It does not cease to exist in the summer, then regenerate from nothing in the
    winter; it circulates around the world year-round, and the summer season in the northern hemisphere
    is the winter flu season in the southern.

    The source of some of the nastier, deadlier strains of flu is animals. Birds and pigs can get the
    flu. For the most part, birds cannot get the human strains of the disease, and humans do not get
    avian flu. But pigs are susceptible to both human and avian types of the disease. Occasionally, a
    pig will be stricken with both human and avian flu at the same time, and the strains get crossed,
    creating a whole new kind of flu virus. IF that virus is structured so that humans can be infected
    by it, and IF it does spread to humans, and IF it is prone to be spread from human to human, then it
    could start another killer epidemic. This epidemic nearly happened in 1997, and was only prevented
    by drastic methods in Hong Kong. by the WHO and local health officials.

    --Rich

  3. Drceephd

    Drceephd Guest

    "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Dude Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Do you know where does the flu virus come from? Please don't tell me we get it from other people
    > > coughing, etc.. I mean how it comes to exist in the winter but not in the summer. How does the
    > > first person on earth to get the flu virus?? - from what source?
    >
    > Nobody knows exactly where the influenza virus came from originally, but it has been around for a
    > very long time.

    The viral concept arrived with the invention of the electron microscope, say circa 1940. The viral
    concept is only about 60 years old.

    It does not cease to exist in the
    > summer, then regenerate from nothing in the winter; it circulates around the world year-round, and
    > the summer season in the northern hemisphere is the winter flu season in the southern.

    The virus exists only within a living cell. Upon cellular death both the cell and its viral
    particles are dead. A virus does not circulate nor regenerate. The question then is where are these
    flu cells that carry the flu virus? Only birds and fish migrate North and South. Might be birds but
    then they migrate south in the winter, and cannot give us the flu, so maybe they are migrating to
    outrun the flu? Whales might carry it in their cells but I have never seen a whale in the USA. Nope,
    don't know where these flu cells come from or how they can so convieniently migrate North and South.

    Actually, the flu originates from the imagination of man. Living bacteria could only be used to
    explain very few of human diseases. The virus offered the medical men a convienient excuse for why
    you get sick when there are no bacteria to blame. Truth is, though, neither the bacteria nor the
    virus invades you to make you sick, but at least the bacteria ( a living organism ) can get you with
    its toxins while the virus just lays there and rots ( being bacteria food you know.)

    DrC PhD.

  4. "drceephd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Dude Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Do you know where does the flu virus come from? Please don't tell me we get it from other
    > > > people coughing, etc.. I mean how it comes to exist in the winter but not in the summer. How
    > > > does the first person on earth to get the flu virus?? - from what source?
    > >
    > > Nobody knows exactly where the influenza virus came from originally, but
    it
    > > has been around for a very long time.
    >
    > The viral concept arrived with the invention of the electron microscope, say circa 1940. The viral
    > concept is only about 60 years old.

    You are wrong. Viral diseases were first identified as such a century ago, including tobacco mosaic
    (Beijerinck and Ivanovski), foot-and-mouth disease (Loeffler and Frosch), and yellow fever (Reed and
    Carroll). The electron microscope has been a valuable tool for the study of viruses, but it is not
    responsible for their discovery.

    Regardless of when the "viral concept" was discovered, viruses, including flu viruses existed long
    before they were understood.

    > It does not cease to exist in the
    > > summer, then regenerate from nothing in the winter; it circulates around
    the
    > > world year-round, and the summer season in the northern hemisphere is
    the
    > > winter flu season in the southern.
    >
    > The virus exists only within a living cell.

    Nonsense! Viruses can only reproduce in living cells or in conditions simulating cellular
    protoplasm, but they can exist independently in a variety of conditions.

    > Upon cellular death both the cell and its viral particles are dead.

    In a way, yes. Viruses usually escape the cell by destroying it, and it can be resonably argued that
    a virus is not "alive" in the common sense of that term.

    > A virus does not circulate nor regenerate.

    Nonsense! They circulate globally in epidemics, and they circulate locally in your bloodstream if
    you are infected. They regenerate (reproduce is a better word) by entering a living cell and
    hijacking its RNA replication machinery.

    > The question then is where are these flu cells that carry the flu virus? Only birds and fish
    > migrate North and South. Might be birds but then they migrate south in the winter, and cannot give
    > us the flu, so maybe they are migrating to outrun the flu? Whales might carry it in their cells
    > but I have never seen a whale in the USA. Nope, don't know where these flu cells come from or how
    > they can so convieniently migrate North and South.

    You thinking here is completely flawed. It is true that the vectors of flu transmission are usually
    living beings, but birds, fish, and whales are not the only animals that migrate north and south and
    they are not involved. People carry the flu virus around the world, and they "migrate" in every
    direction in vast numbers every day.

    > Actually, the flu originates from the imagination of man.

    Actually, it doesn't.

    It originates from the flu virus, which has been scientifically proven for a long time. Flu virus
    can be isolated from a person who has the flu. If that virus is introduced into a person who is well
    and has no immunity to that virus, the subject will get the flu, with all it's characteristic
    symptoms, and the virus can again be isolated from this second subject in far greater numbers than
    were introduced.

    > Living bacteria could only be used to explain very few of human diseases. The virus offered the
    > medical men a convienient excuse for why you get sick when there are no bacteria to blame. Truth
    > is, though, neither the bacteria nor the virus invades you to make you sick, but at least the
    > bacteria ( a living organism ) can get you with its toxins while the virus just lays there and
    > rots ( being bacteria food you know.)

    That is not the truth, or anywhere near it. I don't know if these ideas originate from YOUR
    imagination, or if you have read them somewhere, but they are wrong, wrong, wrong.

    I'm not impressed by the "Dr" in your sig. You are obviously not a physician nor a scientist.

    --Rich

    > DrC PhD.

  5. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Rich Shewmaker <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"drceephd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> > "Dude Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > Nobody knows exactly where the influenza virus came from originally, but
    >it
    >> > has been around for a very long time.
    >>
    >> The viral concept arrived with the invention of the electron microscope, say circa 1940. The
    >> viral concept is only about 60 years old.
    >
    >You are wrong. Viral diseases were first identified as such a century ago, including tobacco mosaic
    >(Beijerinck and Ivanovski), foot-and-mouth disease (Loeffler and Frosch), and yellow fever (Reed
    >and Carroll). The electron microscope has been a valuable tool for the study of viruses, but it is
    >not responsible for their discovery.

    Well, that's kind of a matter of definition. Viruses were first hypothesized to exist in the 1890s,
    but without an electron microscope, it's not possible to "see" them. The first virus to be isolated
    was, I believe, tobacco mosaic, which was isolated by passing liquid from infected plants through
    ultrafine porcelain filters.

    >Regardless of when the "viral concept" was discovered, viruses, including flu viruses existed long
    >before they were understood.

    No argument there.

    >I'm not impressed by the "Dr" in your sig. You are obviously not a physician nor a scientist.

    If he has a "doctorate" of any sort, he got it through one of those spam advertisements I see every
    so often. He sure didn't earn it.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)