Fluid on the Lung

steve.rogers10

Jun 3, 2005
After many years of cycling, I was riding 200km Audax event when I started getting breathing problems on the hills and had to slow down. I went to my GP and was asked to have a chest X ray and this showed a dark area at the base of my right lung. I went for some treatment at my local hospital and they could not find how this had happened. However after telling them about all my long distance cycling, one off the doctors said the stress of cycling could have caused the fluid build up. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and been told it many have been due to cycling.

steve.rogers10 said:
After many years of cycling, I was riding 200km Audax event when I started getting breathing problems on the hills and had to slow down. I went to my GP and was asked to have a chest X ray and this showed a dark area at the base of my right lung. I went for some treatment at my local hospital and they could not find how this had happened. However after telling them about all my long distance cycling, one off the doctors said the stress of cycling could have caused the fluid build up. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and been told it many have been due to cycling.
If you haven't been "cured" then you actually need a "second opinion" on this ...

There are a lot of maladies which manifest themselves as dark spots on lung x-rays ... amongst them is "Valley Fever" (just to name something obscure) -- however, it is unlikely that you have Valley Fever (in case you were wondering) because it is more common in desert regions ... I'm just citing Valley Fever as an example.

So, try to do a web search for your symptoms ... and, try to schedule an appointment with another physician ... BE AS COMPREHENSIVE IN YOUR DESCRIPTION OF YOUR SYMPTOMS AS POSSIBLE before the ride as well as the weather conditions when you were riding.

You could have (or, probably) had the lung condition BEFORE your Audax & you only became aware of it because of the more demanding riding conditions ...

I've had extra fluid in the lungs. It's not a pleasant feeling.

All this cycling and road racing hype these days can make people overextend themselves. We tend to get bombarded with the hype, with little attention paid to caution.

When cycling longer distances while pushing for higher speed, lots of fast climbing, etc., it's quite possible to start experiencing some adverse effects such as a bit of heart failure, some shutting down of kidney function, heatstroke, etc. It's possible to overdo the water intake as well, which can lead to dangerously low levels of sodium.

Newer cyclists think that buying a road racing bike makes them instant professional racers, and club riding tends to encourage that too.

If I were you, I would have that further investigated. It's important to know our limits if we have any. Mine is that I've had failed kidneys for years. I ride my road bike a lot, but I take it easier on hot days, pace myself on longer rides, and I take some days off when I start feeling a little off. In other words, I try to have reasonable expectations rather than internet-induced fantasies.

1. Take notes on the condition; when it flares up; where you feel it (Can you point to it or is it diffuse?); does anything you do make it better; what symptoms do you have before and when it flares up; is there anything else you noticed? Writing it downs insures that you don't forget it.

2. Get a second opinion from a doc that listens carefully. A doc that listens carefully is willing to sit there and listen to what you have to say for whatever time it takes. I've had doc visits where nothing but talk has happened for the first 30-45 minutes. Again, the doc needs to listen.

3. Keep taking notes after you see the doc.

4. Listen to your body.

I caught Phenomia from a ride through part of the smoke coming off a forest fire. I was riding along the road and did not have much choice but to ride through about a mile of smoke from the fire.

That night I had cold sweats and busted into a high fever. I went to the Doctor the next morning cause I was having problems breathing as well. During the ride I was feeling fine. The chest x-rays showed a dark area of my lungs with fluid. I can only conclude I got it from the smoke inhalation.

Took me about 6 weeks to get back to the point of being able to ride and breath normally.

Tw00sh said:
I caught Phenomia from a ride through part of the smoke coming off a forest fire. I was riding along the road and did not have much choice but to ride through about a mile of smoke from the fire.

That night I had cold sweats and busted into a high fever. I went to the Doctor the next morning cause I was having problems breathing as well. During the ride I was feeling fine. The chest x-rays showed a dark area of my lungs with fluid. I can only conclude I got it from the smoke inhalation.

Took me about 6 weeks to get back to the point of being able to ride and breath normally.

Thanks for your positive comment, I am getting back on track now and only feel breath loss on the very steep climbs

Hi steve.rogers10,

Well dude, This thing is not normal as you thought because there are many reasons for fluid building in the right lung area. It might be problem of cholesterol,Smoking habits due to which this happens and Lastly the blocking of that area which darkens the blood in which oxygen level is so low. So be aware and consult a good doctor for better treatment.

Thanks