Fluid trainer suggestions

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by NomadVW, Dec 23, 2006.

1. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

I'm debating purchasing a trainer. I have Minoura Mag resistance rollers and use them when I absolutely have to. I almost feel like a hypocrit for suggesting to myself I'd get a trainer because I've always thought I'd ride rollers over a trainer any day. But, reality is, I'd like to zone out on the trainer a little and you just can't do it completely on the rollers.

Already owning the powertap, I don't see any need to purchase a trainer that gives power readouts and I'm not ready to dump a huge amount of dough on a VR trainer that gets used two dozen times a year, at most. Any suggestions on a fluid trainer that you all have used/liked with reliable resistances from 300-400watts? FTP right now is 322.

Tags:

2. shawndoggy

shawndoggy New Member

I've got the new Blackburn Trackstand that uses the 1up resistence unit. It ain't fluid (it's a centrifugal clutch type unit), but it's quiet, fairly natural feeling and has PLENTY of resistence. Via performance or Nashbar, they're frequently available for $240 or so.

3. TiMan

TiMan New Member

Get a Kurt Kinetic bro. It's the only fluid trainer that has a fluid that is thermodynamically stable....that is, it won't get thinner as it heats up.

All the other fluid trainers get easier to turn as the ride goes on, except the Cycle-ops Fluid 2 which I found actually got harder. This actually starts to piss you off on a trainer ride even when using a power tap....cause you have to fiddle with your gearing and cadence to hold the same power.

You want a fluid trainer for the good "feel" they have and the Kurt is the best by far.

4. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

I got a KK and love it for how the reistance feels very natural and the sound level is nice and low at 80 watts or 350 watts at 120 cadence!! And last-customer service is top notch on the KK. I have to say that I have heard the exact thing (CS) about the Fluid 2 from a person who had to replace two of them. LIke KK-just got a replaceent out asap.

And I agree on the rollers. I have a set of hard to ride Kreitler Dyna-mites (sp?) and I do mostly 30 minute to 1 hour max on them. I find them great for smoothing out my pedal stroke, but dont enjoy the experience and or learning curve required to master pulling water bottles out of the cage and wiping sweat off my face!! I mean its cool to get better and better on them, but not that great. I'd rather do tempo or max efforts on my KK.

5. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I recommended the KK Road Machine to three riders in my cycling club this weekend alone.

6. F1_Fan

F1_Fan New Member

I've noticed this too... I've got the data to prove it. The Fluid2 gets harder to spin after it warms up.

7. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

I have this problem every time I ride on my Fluid2 as well, but it happens every time at the 3 minute mark, and is great from that point on. It seems that it takes about that long to warm up the fluid and then it's flawless. I have a powertap and the power readings are constant when I stay in the same gear at the same cadence, I've been on it for as long as 4 hours. The one thing that I did have happen recently that I don't like is that is started leaking. This is after having it for about 13 months and only using it about half that time during winter riding. The bike shop and Saris are taking care of it for me, and the bike shop dude said that he'd never seen one leak before. This is the only trainer that I have experience with, but based on the KK website and what I've heard from many others, I'd reccommend the KK.

8. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Three things tipped me toward the KK Road Machine: leak-free construction, larger flywheel, and 2500w power rating (high enough that I'll never break it, and much higher than what I heard concerning the Fluid^2).

9. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

Wow. Not every day a single piece of equipment gets such unanimous support.

Sounds like the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is on my New Year's list. Thanks guys.

VW

10. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Short of a trainer with ergometer (e.g., Computrainer), it's the real deal.

11. TiMan

TiMan New Member

My Fluid 2 got harder after a few minutes too...but I was OK with that since I considered it warm up time for the fluid inside. HOWEVER, it got steadily harder to pedal the damn thing over a 30 minute period. It seemed to "level" off after 30 minutes or so... I have the power output per cadence to prove it...it really pissed me off so I sold the damn thing and bought a Kurt.
    The Kurt doesn't do this......it's power meter, which I decided to get for the extra $50, is also spot on with my power tap....it also "feels' more "road like" with it's heavy fly wheel.
    The only thing better about the Fluid 2 is that it is not as noisy....but the Kurt isn't bad.

* All other fluid trainers will get easier to pedal as your workout goes on.
    *Also, the Kurt will not leak, ever, due to it's design.