Fluid Trainers

litespeedguy

Sep 13, 2003
I'm shopping for a fluid trainer - like the looks of CycleOps and Kurt Kinetic - both around $400 - I'd like to get opinions on these two or any others that might be comparable or better.

My 1st and only trainer is The Road Machine by Kurt K.

I highly recommend it. Very reliable, strong, simple, and as quiet as a trainer can be. The good feature is that it's very smooth and the drag/resistance is as close to a road as you will get.

+ good customer base.

My .02 cents

-Greg

gman0482 said:

I highly recommend it. Very reliable, strong, simple, and as quiet as a trainer can be. The good feature is that it's very smooth and the drag/resistance is as close to a road as you will get.

+ good customer base.

My .02 cents

-Greg

Greg has probably put 10,000 miles on his this past winter, so that's a pretty good recommendation. :)

If you'd like to see more discussion on fluid trainers then click on the "search" function at the top of the main page, then click on "advanced", then enter keyword "fluid trainer" and only search the "cycling training" sub forum.

You'll get quite a few threads to look through.

64Paramount said:
Greg has probably put 10,000 miles on his this past winter, so that's a pretty good recommendation. :)

LOL, yea I did take advantage of it a little this winter for sure.

Just tryin to get that 'newbie' feeling outa me, ya know ? :D

gman0482 said:
LOL, yea I did take advantage of it a little this winter for sure.

Just tryin to get that 'newbie' feeling outa me, ya know ? :D

Yep, you have thoroughly tested that model. Good for you and it'll be interesting to see how you do this Spring when you start riding outside.

gman0482 said:

+ good customer base.

My .02 cents

-Greg

does it attach to the rear skewer with a solid grip and is it a relatively quick on and off ? btw , I'm in Canton,CT

litespeedguy said:
I'm shopping for a fluid trainer - like the looks of CycleOps and Kurt Kinetic - both around $400 - I'd like to get opinions on these two or any others that might be comparable or better.

I have both (and a Kinetic Pro as well). Much prefer the KK. The Pro comes with a second 12 pound flywheel that really provides a road-like feel. I think that the 2010 Road Machine's flywheel is machined to take the additional flywheel as well for ~$89 upgrade price. Well worth it IMO.

litespeedguy said:
does it attach to the rear skewer with a solid grip and is it a relatively quick on and off ? btw , I'm in Canton,CT

Yes it goes on your back skewer, and is very easy to put on/off.

CT definitely has some nice terrain to ride on. I plan on making some trips there this year, among others like VT and NH.

jollyrogers said:
I have both (and a Kinetic Pro as well). Much prefer the KK. The Pro comes with a second 12 pound flywheel that really provides a road-like feel. I think that the 2010 Road Machine's flywheel is machined to take the additional flywheel as well for ~$89 upgrade price. Well worth it IMO.

Sounds like you have experience with the two trainers I am looking at
I am new to this forum as well as just getting back in to Cycling.
I have narrowed my trainer decision down to two trainers….KK Road and the KK pro.
I have read all I can about the two however I do still have a few questions

• Other than the extra fly wheel and the quick cam attachment are the two identical?….same fluid/resistance unit……?
  • I am recovering from a knee injury (skiing) and am wondering if the larger fly wheel will be better due to it ability to maintain momentum?
  • Does anyone know when the upgrade for the larger fly wheel will be available?
Any advice would be appreciated