Fluid vs Mag Trainer?

Sarotherodon

Guest
Which type do most riders prefer. fluid or mag? I think mag would have the
advantage of never leaking, as well as being a bit cheaper. Do fluid
trainers more closely simulate actual riding? TIA for any comments.

Tom wrote:
> Sarotherodon wrote:
> > Which type do most riders prefer. fluid or mag? I think mag would

> have the
> > advantage of never leaking, as well as being a bit cheaper. Do

fluid

> > trainers more closely simulate actual riding? TIA for any

comments.

> I've used both a magtrainer and fluid by Cycleops. The fluid trainer
> more closely resembles actual riding due to the progressive

resistance.
> It's also a little bit quieter. My fluid trainer has never had a
> leaking problem. Overall, I think the fluid is a a better choice but
> it's also more expensive. The difference may not justify the extra

$$
> though.

I agree. And a comment on cost. These things last a long time. My fluid
trainer is now 10 years old. So, the difference in initial cost should
really be amortized over a quite long period- a $100 difference in
initial cost is less than $10 a year so if you like it better... .

"gds" wrote: I agree. And a comment on cost. These things last a long
time. (clip) So, the difference in initial cost should really be amortized
over a quite long period- (clip)
So few people recognize this fact. If you buy "smart" instead of "cheap,"
over a long period the cost per unit time approaches zero, while the
benefits keep adding up.