fly eye & glasses/protection.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Philthy, May 29, 2003.

  1. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    Hi, After a 20 mile jaunt along the Tyne to Prudhoe last night I was reminded that Insect time is
    upon us (Why do they only ever hit you in the eye "3 bloody times GRRR", radar or something.!)
    Anyway I do sometimes wear my highly fashionable (Non wrap around) sunglasses while cycling, but
    with north east weather this isn't always wise due to reduced visibility in cloudy conditions.
    Anyway can you get some nice looking sunnies suitable for cycling that maybe have those light
    reactive lenses you used to hear so much about. Anyone care to comment or have experience of such
    a product..

    TIA Phil

    PS I ain't rich so no platinum plated Armani suggestions ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Philthy wrote:
    > Anyway can you get some nice looking sunnies suitable for cycling that maybe have those light
    > reactive lenses you used to hear so much about.

    Haven't seen any of those, most people seem to solve the problem with interchangeable lenses which
    have the advantage of being tougher and lighter than the glass ones you'd have (?) in photochromics.
    They're also individually quite cheap (the lenses, that is). I have a set of clears, a set of
    neutral grey for the sun and a set of ambers for contrast (bright but misty days they're very good,
    though I'd not bother if it weren't for my XC skiing habits), and being wraparounds they keep
    peripheral glare down without restricting vision.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Philthy wrote:
    > Hi, After a 20 mile jaunt along the Tyne to Prudhoe last night I was reminded that Insect time is
    > upon us (Why do they only ever hit you in the eye "3 bloody times GRRR", radar or something.!)
    > Anyway I do sometimes wear my highly fashionable (Non wrap around) sunglasses while cycling, but
    > with north east weather this isn't always wise due to reduced visibility in cloudy conditions.
    > Anyway can you get some nice looking sunnies suitable for cycling that maybe have those light
    > reactive lenses you used to hear so much about. Anyone care to comment or have experience of such
    > a product..
    >
    > TIA Phil
    >
    > PS I ain't rich so no platinum plated Armani suggestions ;-)

    These guys do plain photochromic http://tinyurl.com/co6x friendly types too.

  4. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 11:32:26 +0100, "Philthy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, After a 20 mile jaunt along the Tyne to Prudhoe last night I was reminded that Insect time
    >is upon us

    Hi Phil,

    I was along there last night. Didn't intend to go out after riding home from work, just thought I'd
    settle in and watch the match. However, when I arrived home the kids from across the street were on
    our PC doing their homework as theirs wasn't working. I thought that there's a job coming on here so
    took advantage of the sun just coming out to say what a lovely night it was and I'll pop out for a
    spin :) Ended up at the Big lamp for a pint before setting back home to see the second half.

    >cloudy conditions. Anyway can you get some nice looking sunnies suitable for cycling that maybe
    >have those light reactive lenses you used to hear so much about. Anyone care to comment or have
    >experience of such a product..

    I have an old pair of these that need replacing but haven't seen them in shops (well , shop windows
    - I haven't been inside) either here or on holiday. I don't use them for cycling tho' - don't think
    they'd react quick enough from the sun to shade. I've some of those glasses with interchangeable
    lenses but they always seem odd as I feel about an inch or two higher in the saddle.

    Pete

  5. "Philthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > After a 20 mile jaunt along the Tyne to Prudhoe last night I was reminded that Insect time is
    > upon us (Why do they only ever hit you in the eye "3 bloody times GRRR", radar or something.!)
    > Anyway I do sometimes wear my highly fashionable (Non wrap around) sunglasses while cycling,
    > but with north east weather this isn't always wise due to reduced visibility in cloudy
    > conditions. ....

    I tried contact lenses about 20 years ago, and the first thing that I noticed was the damned bugs
    getting in my eyes when cycling!

    I'm glad I went back to glasses after about a year of contact lens wearing.

  6. Irish Chris

    Irish Chris New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    As I am a complete cheapskate, I use these Madison Shields.

    They seem to do the job well enough (ie. flies don't get in my eyes when I'm wearing them) and you can pick them up in most cycle shops for about £14 to £20.

    I believe it is possible get slightly more expensive ones with a selection of three interchangeable lenses (I think) but I went for the cheapest clear ones.

  7. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Irish Chris wrote:
    > As I am a complete cheapskate, I use
    > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=3D5300004870these Madison Shields.
    >=20
    > They seem to do the job well enough (ie. flies don't get in my eyes when I'm wearing them) and you
    > can pick them up in most cycle shops for about =A314 to =A320.
    >=20
    > I believe it is possible get slightly more expensive ones with a selection of three
    > interchangeable lenses (I think) but I went for the cheapest clear ones.

    I had some of the Madison DArcs which came with three lenses, yellow,=20 dark and clear.

    Found them incredibly uncomfortable. Gave me a virtually instant=20 headache and pinched my
    nose badly.

    Now happily use some Oakley M-Frames with a clear lense in the winter=20 and night, or an iridium in
    the summer. However they are around 100=20 quid more expensive than the Madisons.

  8. Adrian Boliston wrote:

    >I tried contact lenses about 20 years ago, and the first thing that I noticed was the damned bugs
    >getting in my eyes when cycling!
    >
    >I'm glad I went back to glasses after about a year of contact lens wearing.

    My last prescription glasses seemed to have been windtunnel designed to suck as many insects as
    possible between glasses and eyes! So now I wear wraparound cycling glasses with prescription
    inserts, but almost always with clear lenses.

    Mark van Gorkom.

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > Found them incredibly uncomfortable. Gave me a virtually instant headache and pinched my
    > nose badly.
    >
    > Now happily use some Oakley M-Frames with a clear lense in the winter and night, or an iridium in
    > the summer. However they are around 100 quid more expensive than the Madisons.

    As with most things, fit is a personal matter. FWIW I haven't found Oakleys that great but that
    doesn't mean they're bad, just they're modelled on a different shape of head/face. If cheap ones
    work for your particular shape that's fine: throwing money at the problem won't necessarily
    improve matters.

    Pete.
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net p.j.[email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  10. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 11:32:26 +0100, "Philthy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >PS I ain't rich so no platinum plated Armani suggestions ;-)

    I have some hugely expensive Bolle Edge wraparounds, with a prescription insert. As my prescription
    is awkward (thick edges, big difference side to side) these are the only insert makers I found who
    could do it.

    Then a cheap pair of wrap arounds in different colours, a little Dremel work on the nosepiece, and I
    can fit the Bolle insert into the cheapies and not care if I crash or scratch them.

  11. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    > Hi Phil,
    >
    > I was along there last night. Didn't intend to go out after riding home from work, just thought
    > I'd settle in and watch the match. However, when I arrived home the kids from across the street
    > were on our PC doing their homework as theirs wasn't working. I thought that there's a job coming
    > on here so took advantage of the sun just coming out to say what a lovely night it was and I'll
    > pop out for a spin :) Ended up at the Big lamp for a pint before setting back home to see the
    > second half.

    It was a particularly pleasent night out there last night, unlike Monday afternoon (Well it was a
    bank holiday :) which was rather crowded at times & full of white shell suited people complaining
    about the mud. Got a visit to the docs next week about my BP & if she's happy I may be visiting the
    Big Lamp again soon :)

    > I have an old pair of these that need replacing but haven't seen them in shops (well , shop
    > windows - I haven't been inside) either here or on holiday. I don't use them for cycling tho'
    > - don't think they'd react quick enough from the sun to shade. I've some of those glasses
    > with interchangeable lenses but they always seem odd as I feel about an inch or two higher in
    > the saddle.

    Ta, I'm not really bothered about quick reaction, just when you get under the trees with the sun to
    you're back what was Ideal in one direction becomes a bit of a hindrance, I could stop & take them
    off, but then I end with the Kamakazi fly's again. I'll ave to do a bit of shopping around by the
    look of it. Cya Phil

  12. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >=20
    > > Found them incredibly uncomfortable. Gave me a virtually instant=20 headache and pinched my nose
    > > badly.
    > >=20
    > > Now happily use some Oakley M-Frames with a clear lense in the winter=
    =20
    > > and night, or an iridium in the summer. However they are around 100=20 quid more expensive than
    > > the Madisons.
    >=20
    > As with most things, fit is a personal matter. FWIW I haven't found=20 Oakleys that great but that
    > doesn't mean they're bad, just they're=20 modelled on a different shape of head/face. If cheap
    > ones work for your=
    =20
    > particular shape that's fine: throwing money at the problem won't=20 necessarily improve matters.

    Oakleys certainly are the extreme high end of the market as far as=20 glasses go.

    However I do believe that 'you get what you pay for' and I've found=20 stuff at the 15-20 quid mark
    generally isn't very robust or=20 comfortable. =A3100+ isn't necessary though, I agree.

  13. >(Why do they only ever hit you in the eye "3 bloody times GRRR", radar or something.!)

    Simple solution.

    1. Raise head
    2. Open mouth
    3. Eat the little buggers

    One has to keep a variation of flora & fauna in the intestinal tract, so keep yourself healthy
    whilst reducing the numbers that hit you in the eye.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  14. Helen S wrote:

    > Simple solution.
    >

    > 1. Raise head
    > 2. Open mouth
    > 3. Eat the little buggers

    I did once have this happend accidentally, and suffered a three-hour coughing fit which attempted,
    almost successfully, to turn me inside out :-(

    The following year, attempting to not replicate this state of affairs, I was barrelling along beside
    the Thames at or near Surbiton with head down, until my progress was rudely arrested by a Vauxhall
    Nova, through whose rear window much of my bare arms passed. Double :-(

    Flies are the work of Stan, and should be killed by all means available.

    P.S. Madison specs work for me.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  15. Irish Chris

    Irish Chris New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Just as a warning, flies do seem to learn to fly into your mouth just to spite you for wearing protective eyeshades. Well, they do to me anyway and I'm not paranoid at all or anything.

  16. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > I tried contact lenses about 20 years ago, and the first thing that I noticed was the damned bugs
    > getting in my eyes when cycling!

    Really? I found just the opposite. Before I got a pair of cycling glasses with prescription inserts,
    the only way I could wear a decent pair of cycling glasses was if I was also wearing contact lenses.
    The eye protection afforded by a decent pair of cycling glasses is far superior to that of regular
    glasses, so fewer flies.

    Even now, I find I'm better off with contact lenses and Madison D'Flex than with Adidas Gazelles and
    prescription inserts.

    Thomas Paine

  17. >Just as a warning, flies do seem to learn to fly into your mouth just to spite you for wearing
    >protective eyeshades. Well, they do to me anyway and I'm not paranoid at all or anything.

    The best thing to do is learn to enjoy it. Smear teeth and tongue with tomato ketchup and at least
    the flies are tasty when you swallow them ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  18. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I got some plastic sunglasses ages ago with three interchangeable lenses , clear, dark and yellow.
    The frame broke but I salvaged the yellow lens and refashioned it to fit in my bolle edge frame. It
    kind of amplifies the light like ski goggles and is great for over cast days. Really makes me feel
    good as it me it looks like its sunny. Not seen them around recently though.

    "Philthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, After a 20 mile jaunt along the Tyne to Prudhoe last night I was reminded that Insect time is
    > upon us (Why do they only ever hit you in the eye "3 bloody times GRRR", radar or something.!)
    > Anyway I do sometimes
    wear
    > my highly fashionable (Non wrap around) sunglasses while cycling, but with north east weather this
    > isn't always wise due to reduced visibility in cloudy conditions. Anyway can you get some nice
    > looking sunnies suitable
    for
    > cycling that maybe have those light reactive lenses you used to hear so
    much
    > about. Anyone care to comment or have experience of such a product..
    >
    > TIA Phil
    >
    > PS I ain't rich so no platinum plated Armani suggestions ;-)

  19. David

    David Guest

  20. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > I'm wearing them) and you can pick them up in most cycle shops for about £14 to £20.

    Look at industrial safety specs on the web or at a shop(eg builders supplies). I have fancy dark
    ones but in uk it's usually better to wear clear ones . I picked up a pair for £2-50 . TerryJ(not
    James Bond)