Flying to US and bike bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nick Drew

I'm probably going to be in the States and Canada for about 3 months from May with a mate, and
we're intending to go biking. We'll have a van, so are planning on driving round to find some
class terrain.

Anyway, the choice at the moment is whether to take bikes with, or buy them there. I'm leaning
towards taking my Kona with me, as frankly it's a class bike and I don't fancy getting another.
Anyone know what Virgin Atlantic's policy is on bikes?

Second question - bike bags. I've looked around and seen that £100 is about the going rate for bike
bags. Any recommendations on a) features or b) any particular bags?

Any feedback appreciated Cheers Nick

--
r e p l a c e s p a m w i t h n i c k t o r e p l y

I've used a bike box when travelling Canada-Australia just the box the bike comes to the store in
axle blocks and a lot of towels help too

nick c

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... I use a soft case when I travel. I use
axle blocks to ensure that the rear triangle is not bent. I have not had any problems with damage. I
purchased the bag I am currently using in italy for about Lira 120,000. The bag has padded sides,
and compartments internal for tools/wheels/parts etc. You should be ok with a softcase. Or you can
spend the money on a hard case and rest easy.

TJ

"Nick Drew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm probably going to be in the States and Canada for about 3 months from May with a mate, and
> we're intending to go biking. We'll have a van, so
are
> planning on driving round to find some class terrain.
>
> Anyway, the choice at the moment is whether to take bikes with, or buy
them
> there. I'm leaning towards taking my Kona with me, as frankly it's a class bike and I don't fancy
> getting another. Anyone know what Virgin Atlantic's policy is on bikes?
>
> Second question - bike bags. I've looked around and seen that £100 is
about
> the going rate for bike bags. Any recommendations on a) features or b) any particular bags?
>
> Any feedback appreciated Cheers Nick
>
>
> --
> r e p l a c e s p a m w i t h n i c k t o r e p l y

"Nick Drew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
|<snip>
|
| Any feedback appreciated Cheers Nick

Nick I too have spent some time in the states and canada. I took my bike with me and used a planet X
bike bag, this features padding and lots of internal compartments for tools and spares.

Usually on international flights your bike bag will be classed as one item of main luggage so as
long as you only take one other suitcase and 1 item of hand luggage it should be free but call them
direct to find out for sure.

Wiggle is the place to buy items on the net for uk (IMHO) and heres the link for bike bags:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryName=Bags%20-%20Bike

Hope it helps.................Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.