Flying to US and bike bags

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nick Drew, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Nick Drew

    Nick Drew Guest

    I'm probably going to be in the States and Canada for about 3 months from May with a mate, and
    we're intending to go biking. We'll have a van, so are planning on driving round to find some
    class terrain.

    Anyway, the choice at the moment is whether to take bikes with, or buy them there. I'm leaning
    towards taking my Kona with me, as frankly it's a class bike and I don't fancy getting another.
    Anyone know what Virgin Atlantic's policy is on bikes?

    Second question - bike bags. I've looked around and seen that £100 is about the going rate for bike
    bags. Any recommendations on a) features or b) any particular bags?

    Any feedback appreciated Cheers Nick

    --
    r e p l a c e s p a m w i t h n i c k t o r e p l y

    Tags:

  2. I've used a bike box when travelling Canada-Australia just the box the bike comes to the store in
    axle blocks and a lot of towels help too

    nick c

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... I use a soft case when I travel. I use
    axle blocks to ensure that the rear triangle is not bent. I have not had any problems with damage. I
    purchased the bag I am currently using in italy for about Lira 120,000. The bag has padded sides,
    and compartments internal for tools/wheels/parts etc. You should be ok with a softcase. Or you can
    spend the money on a hard case and rest easy.

    TJ

    "Nick Drew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm probably going to be in the States and Canada for about 3 months from May with a mate, and
    > we're intending to go biking. We'll have a van, so
    are
    > planning on driving round to find some class terrain.
    >
    > Anyway, the choice at the moment is whether to take bikes with, or buy
    them
    > there. I'm leaning towards taking my Kona with me, as frankly it's a class bike and I don't fancy
    > getting another. Anyone know what Virgin Atlantic's policy is on bikes?
    >
    > Second question - bike bags. I've looked around and seen that £100 is
    about
    > the going rate for bike bags. Any recommendations on a) features or b) any particular bags?
    >
    > Any feedback appreciated Cheers Nick
    >

    > --
    > r e p l a c e s p a m w i t h n i c k t o r e p l y

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Nick Drew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    |<snip>
    |
    | Any feedback appreciated Cheers Nick

    Nick I too have spent some time in the states and canada. I took my bike with me and used a planet X
    bike bag, this features padding and lots of internal compartments for tools and spares.

    Usually on international flights your bike bag will be classed as one item of main luggage so as
    long as you only take one other suitcase and 1 item of hand luggage it should be free but call them
    direct to find out for sure.

    Wiggle is the place to buy items on the net for uk (IMHO) and heres the link for bike bags:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryName=Bags%20-%20Bike

    Hope it helps.................Simon