flying with a rocket

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bent4me, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bent4me

    Bent4me Guest

    I am looking for a bent that I can fly legaly with no extra charges. I have a Rocket that is small
    and was woundering if S&S couplers is the way to go. I would like to know how I coud pack my Rocket
    with minimal assemby and take it on airlines for those week long trips. Someone once mentioned a
    golf bag? Any suggestions? Thanx Marty

    > I am looking for a bent that I can fly legaly with no extra charges. I have a Rocket that is small
    > and was woundering if S&S couplers is the way to go. I would like to know how I coud pack my
    > Rocket with minimal assemby and take it on airlines for those week long trips. Someone once
    > mentioned a golf bag? Any suggestions? Thanx

    AFAIK, the Lightning P-38 Voyager (w/ S&S Couplings) is the only fullsize bent that can be purchased
    and fit into an airline legal suitcase (62" overall dimensions L+W+H).

    You could probably achieve these dimensions with an S&S Coupled Rocket, but You still need to
    manage the seat.

    I have made several trips with my Voyager even after 9-11 with no questions or problems.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    Bike Friday Sat-R-Day?

    Derek

    (bent4me) wrote:

    > I am looking for a bent that I can fly legaly with no extra charges. I have a Rocket that is small
    > and was woundering if S&S couplers is the way to go. I would like to know how I coud pack my
    > Rocket with minimal assemby and take it on airlines for those week long trips. Someone once
    > mentioned a golf bag? Any suggestions? Thanx Marty

  4. Mark Stonich

    Mark Stonich Guest

    [email protected] (bent4me) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am looking for a bent that I can fly legaly with no extra charges. I have a Rocket that is small
    > and was woundering if S&S couplers is the way to go. I would like to know how I coud pack my
    > Rocket with minimal assemby and take it on airlines for those week long trips. Someone once
    > mentioned a golf bag? Any suggestions? Thanx Marty

    Contact Calhoun Cycle http://calhouncycle.com 612-827-8000 about having S&S couplings installed.
    They have a deal with one of the finest framebuilders in the world, Curt Goodrich, who does the
    brazing. You've probably never heard of Curt, because he mostly builds Rivendells, which go for
    $2,300 for a bare frame.

    BTW I did a suitcase Rocket for Calhoun http://mnhpva.org/MNbikes/Rocket.html without S&S. Works
    just as well, maybe better. But the S&S are so pretty, and because they are a known commodity will
    increase your resale value.