Flying with Bikes to Paris from Boston

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Stanley N. Lapi, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Does any participants in this newsgroup have recent experience flying on Air France with their
    bikes? We'll be flying from Boston to Paris and back. We'll be packing our bikes in Trico hard-sided
    sports cases. Any extra fees? Other hassles?

    Thanks, Stan

    Tags:

  2. George

    George Guest

    For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking bikes on planes, trains,
    buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads
    around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.

    Check it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

    Stanley N. Lapidus wrote:
    > Does any participants in this newsgroup have recent experience flying on Air France with their
    > bikes? We'll be flying from Boston to Paris and back. We'll be packing our bikes in Trico
    > hard-sided sports cases. Any extra fees? Other hassles?
    >
    > Thanks, Stan

  3. > Does any participants in this newsgroup have recent experience flying on
    Air
    > France with their bikes? We'll be flying from Boston to Paris and back. We'll be packing our bikes
    > in Trico hard-sided sports cases. Any extra
    fees?
    > Other hassles?

    Stan: I haven't flown with my bike on Air France, but flew United from SFO to CDG (Paris) and, even
    though my case is rather large (the biggest that Trial3sports makes), I wasn't charged in either
    direction.

    One word of advice- if you haven't flown out of CDG before, you need to allow lots of extra time.
    The place is a disaster, with queues that go every which-way, and a rather haphazard system of
    inspecting bike boxes right there on the floor of the first (security) check-in area. They'll let
    most breeze through, and then randomly decide to tear one apart, bit by bit by bit (or so it seems).
    If you're going to stuff your bike clothing in there, I'd suggest you might want to wash it first,
    as watching your personal stuff get close scrutiny becomes the primary entertainment for those in
    the terminal.

    Entering France is rarely an issue, by the way... I wouldn't expect any delays there (unless they
    haven't finished painting one of the passport inspection locations, which they normally only do
    during the busiest times of the year).

  4. Cathy Kearns

    Cathy Kearns Guest

    We flew SFO- CDG on Air France exactly this time last year with a coupled tandem packed in two
    softsided S&S suitcases. No problems either direction. No one wanted to see our marvelous packing
    job, our clean or dirty shorts and jerseys, or our bike, which, admittedly, didn't look much like a
    bike when you take it apart.

    Oh well.

    Cathy

    "Stanley N. Lapidus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does any participants in this newsgroup have recent experience flying on
    Air
    > France with their bikes? We'll be flying from Boston to Paris and back. We'll be packing our bikes
    > in Trico hard-sided sports cases. Any extra
    fees?
    > Other hassles?
    >
    > Thanks, Stan

  5. > We flew SFO- CDG on Air France exactly this time last year with a coupled tandem packed in two
    > softsided S&S suitcases. No problems either direction. No one wanted to see our marvelous packing
    > job, our clean or dirty shorts and jerseys, or our bike, which, admittedly, didn't look much like
    > a bike when you take it apart.

    Cathy: But what qualifies as the more bizarre experience... traveling between terminals through the
    hall of neon lights at Chicago O'Hare, or up through one of those tubes in the middle of CDG before
    you can go down to your destination?

  6. Olivers

    Olivers Guest

    We flew from Ohio to Spokane, WA in August, and from Ohio to Madrid, Spain via Newark this
    September. We have S and S coupled bikes which fit in airline sized cases.

    Here are some tips:

    1. You have to anticipate that in the US, Homeland Security will open the case for inspection.
    Therefor, pack your bike as simply as possible, and don't put a lot of junk in the case. You
    want to make it possible for them to view the contents without unpacking the case. Also, you
    want to make it easy for them to close the case.

    2. I put an 8 1/2 by 11 typed notice in the cases advising them that it was a precision bicycle
    carefully packed, that it should not be forced to close, and that if they had problems to
    page me or call me on my cell phone, and I also listed my flight information.

    3. On the Madrid trip, I also put a cable tie through the lock hasp so I could tell if the
    cases had been opened -- they were outbound. The cases were not inspected home bound, nor
    during our interanl Iberia flight.

    4. Generally speaking, subject to change, your bike in an oversize case will fly across the
    Atlantic as your second piece of luggage at no extra charge -- provided you are within the
    weight allowances -- Note that 100 pounds appears to be the maximum, but I try to keep the
    cases as light as possible to avoid the cases being thrown around as much. Check with Air
    France as to size and weight limitations.

    --
    Cheers! OliverS When replying personally, remove "_removespam_"

    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." HG Wells