Flying with Qantas

ken

Guest
QF now require bikes to be boxed - previously removing pedals etc was
enough.
Does anyone have recent experience of using a non-rigid bag?
I'm not worried about protection for the bike - we have learnt how to
pack it over many years - just whether the airlines will accept it.

"ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> QF now require bikes to be boxed - previously removing pedals etc was
> enough.
> Does anyone have recent experience of using a non-rigid bag?
> I'm not worried about protection for the bike - we have learnt how to
> pack it over many years - just whether the airlines will accept it.

As with all these things it will really depend on the person you get behind
the check-in counter. I boxed our 4 bikes coming back from Hobart last
January on Virgin Blue, but our baggage was certainly over the 20kg +5kg
bike allowance, but in the rush, no excess was charged.

I'd box it, and use the Qantas/Virgin boxes, they're big and sturdy, much
better than bike shop boxes. You may find a bike in a soft bag will get
knocked back, or very likely they won't give you insurance cover.

Having said all that, I know of lots who travel using the soft bags, usually
reinforced with some heavy cardboard sheets.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@