Flyte Bicycles gone?

bobv

Guest
Anyone know if Flyte (used to be Airborne) bikes have folded? Their website
(Flyte1.com) hasn't come up for the past week or so, and emails are not
answered.
Thanks, Bob

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:13:03 -0700, bobv <[email protected]> may have
said:

>Anyone know if Flyte (used to be Airborne) bikes have folded? Their website
>(Flyte1.com) hasn't come up for the past week or so, and emails are not
>answered.

The domain registration expires on 13 May, and all of the known links
are down hard; the servers don't even ping, although the name still
resolves on dns lookup. Reports have been seen that neither the
company phone numbers nor the one for the founder (and perhaps sole
remaining person involved) have been in service for at least several
weeks.

While it is possible that there is a non-business-closure-related
reason for these developments, I would personally regard these as
strong indications that Flyte's continued operation is not assured, at
the very least. Absent direct confirmation from the principal or an
authoritative source, however, anything is mere speculation at this
point.

Wow, that is a very complete answer and a strong indication of their demise. I
guess this means that the lifetime warranty on my Ti frame was really their
lifetime and not the frame's.

Thanks, Bob

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:37:22 -0600, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:13:03 -0700, bobv <[email protected]> may have
>said:
>
>>Anyone know if Flyte (used to be Airborne) bikes have folded? Their website
>>(Flyte1.com) hasn't come up for the past week or so, and emails are not
>>answered.

>The domain registration expires on 13 May, and all of the known links
>are down hard; the servers don't even ping, although the name still
>resolves on dns lookup. Reports have been seen that neither the
>company phone numbers nor the one for the founder (and perhaps sole
>remaining person involved) have been in service for at least several
>weeks.
>
>While it is possible that there is a non-business-closure-related
>reason for these developments, I would personally regard these as
>strong indications that Flyte's continued operation is not assured, at
>the very least. Absent direct confirmation from the principal or an
>authoritative source, however, anything is mere speculation at this
>point.

"bobv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wow, that is a very complete answer and a strong indication of their
> demise. I
> guess this means that the lifetime warranty on my Ti frame was really
> their
> lifetime and not the frame's.

I feel your pain (being the owner of an Airborne). Fortunately, it's
deferred pain; my Carpe Diem has been flawless.

On Apr 28, 2:01 am, "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "bobv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Wow, that is a very complete answer and a strong indication of their
> > demise. I
> > guess this means that the lifetime warranty on my Ti frame was really
> > their
> > lifetime and not the frame's.

> I feel your pain (being the owner of an Airborne). Fortunately, it's
> deferred pain; my Carpe Diem has been flawless.

I am looking for answers like the rest of you. I own a '05 Blackbird
and its the best bike I have ever owned. In the last day or two I
discovered through some research that Van Nicholas Bicycles
(www.vannicholas.com), a Eurpean company, has some same build types
that Airborne used to follow. Awesome Ti and Alum/Carbon Fiber rides
for a good price. Airborne name was last used in Europe, and now the
Van Nicholas Vardar looks EXACTLY like my Blackbird.
Hummm....coincidence?
I am interested in buying a new chainstay protector as mine has been
weathered by the elements. Anyone up for trying to demand an answer
from the company (force in numbers)? Maybe Van Nicholas can point us
in the right direction?
Ryan