Flyte

Dan

Guest
I have a 2006 Flyte SRS-2 bike. It is an AL frame with carbon stays
and fork. The now defunct Flyte Cycles was the successor to Airborne
Cycles. I got my bike really, really cheap as a team sponsor bike and
although I don't think it is a great bike, it fits and is comfortable.
The group is Campy Chorus. This bike scares me on descents because the
fork (Carbon with carbon steer tube) seems to flex when braking hard.
This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.

Scares the daylights outta me and results in extremely slow descents.
Maybe this is a good thing.

I am not sure if the flex is in the fork or in the short head tube
with compact geometry frame.

Does anybody know who actually made this fork and if there have been
failures?

Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Dan ? wrote:
> I have a 2006 Flyte SRS-2 bike. It is an AL frame with carbon stays
> and fork. The now defunct Flyte Cycles was the successor to Airborne
> Cycles. I got my bike really, really cheap as a team sponsor bike and
> although I don't think it is a great bike, it fits and is comfortable.
> The group is Campy Chorus. This bike scares me on descents because the
> fork (Carbon with carbon steer tube) seems to flex when braking hard.
> This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
> holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.
>
> Scares the daylights outta me and results in extremely slow descents.
> Maybe this is a good thing....

For really fast descents, you need a bike like this:
<http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/images/tiretest.jpg>. ;)

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a 2006 Flyte SRS-2 bike. It is an AL frame with carbon stays
> and fork. The now defunct Flyte Cycles was the successor to Airborne
> Cycles. I got my bike really, really cheap as a team sponsor bike and
> although I don't think it is a great bike, it fits and is comfortable.
> The group is Campy Chorus. This bike scares me on descents because the
> fork (Carbon with carbon steer tube) seems to flex when braking hard.
> This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
> holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.
>
> Scares the daylights outta me and results in extremely slow descents.
> Maybe this is a good thing.
>
> I am not sure if the flex is in the fork or in the short head tube
> with compact geometry frame.
>
> Does anybody know who actually made this fork and if there have been
> failures?
>
> Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Why don't ask Flyte customer support who made the fork? They are supposedly
good to work with.

On Oct 19, 3:32 am, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> >I have a 2006 Flyte SRS-2 bike. It is an AL frame with carbon stays
> > and fork. The now defunct Flyte Cycles was the successor to Airborne
> > Cycles. I got my bike really, really cheap as a team sponsor bike and
> > although I don't think it is a great bike, it fits and is comfortable.
> > The group is Campy Chorus. This bike scares me on descents because the
> > fork (Carbon with carbon steer tube) seems to flex when braking hard.
> > This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
> > holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.

> > Scares the daylights outta me and results in extremely slow descents.
> > Maybe this is a good thing.

> > I am not sure if the flex is in the fork or in the short head tube
> > with compact geometry frame.

> > Does anybody know who actually made this fork and if there have been
> > failures?

> > Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

> Why don't ask Flyte customer support who made the fork? They are supposedly
> good to work with.- Hide quoted text -

Flyte is gone. The garage sale is over and the website is down.

On Oct 18, 8:57 pm, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
> holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.

<snip>
> Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Yes. I've had bad luck with Kool Stop salmon and salmon-composite pads
on new rims. Put on black pads until the rims are smoothed out, then
change back to salmon pads. Riding with the black pads in wet
condtions will help the process.

Jeff

On Oct 18, 11:57 pm, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Have you thought about pulling the fork out for an inspection? I've
got the "same" model (SRS-2, purchased in 2006), but mine doesn't have
the internal cable routing I've seen on other 2006's. Anyway, with the
Flyte CR3 fork, I've had none of the symptoms you describe. I have one
ride with a 45 mph descent, and my SRS-2 is rock-solid.

On Oct 20, 2:11 pm, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 8:57 pm, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
> > holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.

> <snip>
> > Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

> Yes. I've had bad luck with Kool Stop salmon and salmon-composite pads
> on new rims. Put on black pads until the rims are smoothed out, then
> change back to salmon pads. Riding with the black pads in wet
> condtions will help the process.
>
> Jeff

I swapped the kool stop pads and holders for the campy originals and
this is much better. Not as prone to squeal as the kool stops and less
judder. I found the holders had an impression from the concave washer
which may explain why I was having trouble getting the pads set up so
they didn't squeal. Perhaps I over tightened them at some time but the
holders may be soft metal. I have no idea why they fabricate the rims
with a groved surface - seems like a silly idea.

On Oct 20, 7:01 pm, Curt Wiederhoeft <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 11:57 pm, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

> Have you thought about pulling the fork out for an inspection? I've
> got the "same" model (SRS-2, purchased in 2006), but mine doesn't have
> the internal cable routing I've seen on other 2006's. Anyway, with the
> Flyte CR3 fork, I've had none of the symptoms you describe. I have one
> ride with a 45 mph descent, and my SRS-2 is rock-solid.

I havn't found any evidence of problems with Flyte having failure
problems so I may just be spooking myself. What rims and brakes do you
have? I haven't ridden this bike much for quite awhile and I simply
may not be used to it's personality.

On Oct 22, 3:46 pm, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have no idea why they fabricate the rims
> with a groved surface - seems like a silly idea.

I agree- but they'll smooth out after the first couple rides in wet
conditions. After that, you should be able to switch back to the
salmon pads.

Jeff

On Oct 22, 6:53 pm, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 20, 7:01 pm, Curt Wiederhoeft <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 18, 11:57 pm, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
> > <snip>

> I havn't found any evidence of problems withFlytehaving failure
> problems so I may just be spooking myself. What rims and brakes do you
> have? I haven't ridden this bike much for quite awhile and I simply
> may not be used to it's personality.

The "Internet special" Easton rims and Ultegra brake calipers/shoes.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the original post.